San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Electric bill  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 25th, 2019 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
frankie

Mana: 
this is an old subject, but worth talking about!
* the electric bill in Guaymas comes every month.
* the electric bill in San Carlos come every 2 months
* the September pay period is GOLD MINE for the service provider!
* there are 3 tiers of KW use. 
* paying ever 2 months almost surely during this pay period places us in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.
* the price raises with every tier.
* the 1st least expensive, 2nd more expensive, 3rd most expensive
are the any opinions on a fair, equal solution? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Sep 25th, 2019 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
da2434890

Mana: 

The published tier amounts are monthly. For the summer it is 75 KWH per month for the lowest tier. Look at your bill and the tier level is 150 KWH so the billing rates are the same for monthly or bimonthly.

Buy solar.  Mine looks like the solar is totally paid off between 5 1/2 and 6 years of bills at the current rates.  The disadvantage is that the bill is even harder to read.

Last edited on Wed Sep 25th, 2019 10:21 pm by da2434890

Posted: Wed Sep 25th, 2019 11:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
frankie

Mana: 
da2434890 wrote:
The published tier amounts are monthly. For the summer it is 75 KWH per month for the lowest tier. Look at your bill and the tier level is 150 KWH so the billing rates are the same for monthly or bimonthly.

exactly! the 1st month maximum is probably met, then it is accumulated into the next tiers payment scales for the 2 month total
i believe you don't pay the scale amount per tier, you pay the kw usage for the tier in which you completed, from meter reading to meter reading, 1st, 2nd, 3rd tiers!! !
the first month, starts a "NEW POINT", the starting point when the meter was last read!

for me, if i paid monthly from July, August, September, i doubt seriously if i would enter the 3rd tier! 

solar is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited on Wed Sep 25th, 2019 11:39 pm by frankie

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 03:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
diver45

Mana: 
Just curious, is solar available through CFE ? if so I wonder if extra kw you generate goes into grid or stored for you? Kind of doubt it works the same as in US

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
For your tier electrical usage determination to be made on a per-month basis, instead of a cumulative basis over two months, wouldn't the meter have to be read at the start of the second month? Is it? Does the meter reader come around once a month or once every two months?

My recollection is that they only come around once every two months. But recollection and reality are sometimes not the same thing.

If they are only coming around once every two months, I suppose they could simply take the AVERAGE of the two months to determine if you move into tier two. Are they doing that? It should be easy to determine. Take your total usage over two months, divide by two and see if that is being used to determine the tier structure.

Last edited on Thu Sep 26th, 2019 04:06 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
The CFE agreement for solar service is not only incredibly long, but arduous and vague, at best.  There is some "banking" for the customer and some "selling to the grid".  Again not very clearly stated and your solar generation only applies to the basic rate, not the two upper tiers,  That said, we put in a 5KW grid this spring and have run 7 tons of mini-splits all summer at 78F.  Our May/June bill was $1040 pesos and our July/Aug bill, just paid, was $3010 pesos.  Can't say much other than GOTTA LUV IT!!  At the current rate structure we will have paid for the solar installation in 4 yr 8 mos to 5 years.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Scmateo wrote: The CFE agreement for solar service is not only incredibly long, but arduous and vague, at best.  There is some "banking" for the customer and some "selling to the grid".  Again not very clearly stated and your solar generation only applies to the basic rate, not the two upper tiers,  That said, we put in a 5KW grid this spring and have run 7 tons of mini-splits all summer at 78F.  Our May/June bill was $1040 pesos and our July/Aug bill, just paid, was $3010 pesos.  Can't say much other than GOTTA LUV IT!!  At the current rate structure we will have paid for the solar installation in 4 yr 8 mos to 5 years.

What figure for your average monthly savings are you using to determine your rate of return? The above ~2000 pesos/month difference?

Do you have batteries where you are accumulating energy or are you simply inverting and returning it back to your personal grid and the public grid? 

In the winter, when A/C usage clearly goes way down, how are you heating your house? With the same mini-splits? What is the difference in those months, or have you had it set up through a winter yet?

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
Historical May/June would have been 4500-5000 pesos and July/Aug would have been 7500-8500.

No batteries with this system, everything works through the CFE grid.

This is year one for the solar, so I can't say about the winter heating.  All of our mini splits are heat pumps, so that is how we heat.  Best guess, as long as there are few cloudy days, the solar will cover the winter electric cost.

Side note, our 2 ton and 1 1/2 mini splits are older and I believe 10-11 seer.  All of the other mini splits have been upgraded once and are now 16-18 seer.  As the mini splits age and replacement is needed, we will go to the now available 30 seer.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
So, your monthly savings to figure your ROR is ????

Who is making 30 Seer mini-splits these days? Curious about brands. Are they available down there or are you bringing them down?

When I was last looking about six years ago, the best available were in the low-mid 20s. Fujitsu was considered the best, at that time, but none were available in the SC area.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
Scmateo, how many sq/ft is your house? Thanks

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Hook wrote: For your tier electrical usage determination to be made on a per-month basis, instead of a cumulative basis over two months, wouldn't the meter have to be read at the start of the second month? Is it? Does the meter reader come around once a month or once every two months?

were i am at it is done electronically every 2 months. the reading being an electronic registration of the end, which forms the start of the next cycle!

the point i am trying to encourage is a monthly billing cycle!

as post #2 stated the first tier is 75 KWH, in the peak months that will most certainly be met. the current billing program does NOT allow us to start the next month at ZERO the previous month is added to the next and we are charged accordingly 

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
Will Rogers - 3000 sq ft

Hook - I haven't tried to buy one yet, but MIRAGE has 30 seer.  In almost every size they have the economic "entry level", a 15-18 seer and a 30 seer.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Hook

Mana: 
If this is the case, it would seem like notifying the Comisario in San Carlos might be a first step.

It probably won't go anywhere, through no fault of his, should he broach the subject to the Guaymas mayor. It's all part of the "milk the (supposed) rich" in San Carlos to support the poor in Guaymas.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 07:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
What is the advantage of paying monthly?

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
frankie

Mana: 
jsprag wrote: What is the advantage of paying monthly?

avoiding moving into HIGHER COST tier scales!

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
It's been quite sometime since I asked CFE the same question. At that time the usage tiers for monthly billing were half of bi-monthly billing.

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Tier one is 75 kwh for 1 month or 150 for 2 months, depending on billing cycle. So I don't understand why you would save billing monthly, in fact, if you are absent, the two month period lets you average less per month on a cumlative bill.

I also do not understand what the comisario has to do with the Federal Electric Company billing policies or how Guaymas is using the CFE to Milk the Rich.

And unless you are a year rounder, I do not think that solar is an effective investment strategy for older retirees living less time than a young family. My idea is to make money using capital, not spend it and hope I live long enough to recover it. 

I don't see the point in living in a hot climate that requires AC if you can go north and also avoid being a shut in due to a harsh climate. 

Last edited on Thu Sep 26th, 2019 10:01 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 10:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: Tier one is 75 kwh for 1 month or 150 for 2 months, depending on billing cycle. So I don't understand why you would save billing monthly, 

hey buddy, my fault i made a general assumption! everybody is different!

i live here full time. i have a medium size 2 story home 3200 sq. ft., 2 central AC 16.5 SEER units, a 2 bedroom guest house about 600 sq. ft. mini-splits!
i almost never use the guest house July, August, September. 

the KEY here is the "first tier 75 KWH" , once that is exceeded in either month it moves you into the next tier! the third tier being the highest!

my person usage monthly could keep me in the first tier, possibly entering the second tier!
now, figure i slightly moved into the second tier the first month, doubling that KWH places me in the third tier! that's the problem i have!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 11:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Can I assume you have a central unit for the top floor, and another 5 ton for the bottom floor?.

A 1 ton mini in your bdrm lets you just cool the room you use at night. My power bill went from 500 to 200 per month in Ca by keeping the large unit off 12 hrs a day, only using the central when guest used the other bedrooms.

You know how cheap a 1 ton mini is Franky. I recovered my investment in 3 months.

Last edited on Thu Sep 26th, 2019 11:12 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
da2434890

Mana: 
If you look closely at a CFE bill with solar installed they print usage from them and how much solar energy you sent to them. They bank the solar usage until the next bill.

Then your inverter shows how much energy was produced. In effect the energy produced avoids payment to CFE for the highest tier consumption for that bill. So, saving is calculated for usage (or lack of) in each tier at the rate for that bill which varies.

There is NO average monthly rate to figure savings. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use. Some bills have saving in all 3 tiers and some have saving in only one tier.

If your solar system does not cover all your usage your saving start with the high tiers for each bill.

A monthly bill will not save you any money over the 2 month bill.

Current time is 04:32 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Electric bill Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems