San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Does anybody know what octane Mexican premium is?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Does anybody know what octane Mexican premium is?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Quido

Mana: 
?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 04:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
supposedly 92

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 05:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JCB

Mana: 

Why are you asking the question?  

The first thing is that if your owner's manual doesn't say that you need high octane fuel, then you don't need it and using high octane fuel is just a waste of money. 

If your engine is knocking, there are a number of possible causes in addition to low octane fuel.  Wrong spark plugs, wrong gap, timing, etc etc.  Also various mechanical problems can result in a knocking sound that has nothing to do with the fuel.  If that is the case, it needs to be fixed asap.

If you are concerned about the fuel, one thing you could try is to add an octane booster available at e.g. Autozone and see if the pinging stops.  That should rule out other mechanical problems but it still could be the spark plugs.

Last edited on Thu Aug 15th, 2019 06:00 pm by JCB

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
frankie

Mana: 
the octane level has always been a question here as to what is advertised and actuality! since the new gas companies have entered, Arco, Chevron, Gulf i have noticed better fuel efficiency with me using Arco gas! ALL PEMEX gas used in all the northern Mexican states is refined in the USA! the main difference using NOB brands is the consistency of the octane level and the use of ADDITIVES!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Quido

Mana: 
Ask some people what time it is and they will tell you how to make a watch. But, thanks for your concern JCB.

Posted: Sun Aug 18th, 2019 09:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
frankie wrote: the octane level has always been a question here as to what is advertised and actuality! since the new gas companies have entered, Arco, Chevron, Gulf i have noticed better fuel efficiency with me using Arco gas! ALL PEMEX gas used in all the northern Mexican states is refined in the USA! the main difference using NOB brands is the consistency of the octane level and the use of ADDITIVES!!!

Funny how efficiency increases when you start getting legitimate quantities, instead of what most Pemex stations deliver.

Posted: Sun Aug 18th, 2019 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankie

Mana: 
the Arco station here and Fletcha gas stations offer a calibrated beaker to measure the liters of gas purchased if there is ANY question regarding quantity!  

Attached Image (viewed 200 times):

beeker.jpg

Posted: Sun Aug 18th, 2019 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I had an Audi that was very sensitive to using anything but premium. Any modern car will compensate if it detects preignition by backing off the timing so it is doubtful you will hear knocking. More likely loss of performance and poor fuel economy. The Audi ran just fine on Mexican premium. Expensive though. Milage was the same and based on the computer, not the amount of fuel shown on the pump. If you are worried about harming a high performance car, I don't think you have to worry.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
frankie wrote: the Arco station here and Fletcha gas stations offer a calibrated beaker to measure the liters of gas purchased if there is ANY question regarding quantity!  

This is probably the best reason that foreign oil companies were allowed into the Mexican market. Great to see this!!

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 06:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Beakers have been required tobbe present at all Pemex gas stations for over 20 years.

However, the pumps can be controlled electronicaly to dispense less gas before or after you take a measurement.

Nafta concessions for foriegn gas stations were part of that agreement too.

In fact sometimes the owner will place a micro switch under a pad so that the pumps only steal when the test flask is on top of the switch turning it on to position the second steal gear with fewer teeth pushing the the piston measuring pump.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 02:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: Beakers have been required tobbe present at all Pemex gas stations for over 20 years.

However, the pumps can be controlled electronicaly to dispense less gas before or after you take a measurement.

In fact sometimes the owner will place a micro switch under a pad so that the pumps only steal when the test flask is on top of the switch turning it on to position the second steal gear with fewer teeth pushing the the piston measuring pump.

What a great Freudian slip!

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote:

really? that would require a solenoid that is attached to a remote control or direct contact switch, to engage the gears! the remote control would require a radio transceiver and antenna. 
* the Arco station here has 4 islands servicing on each side, 8 pump spigots for regular, 8 pump spigots for premium, 8 metered gauges!
* the remote would also have to have 8 different signals for the 8 different gauges
* seems very complicated and something that would be easily seen!
i guess anything is possible, if it's all about the pesos for profit!

P.S. since the owner does not pump the gas ALL the attendants would have to be in on the scam! there goes the profit! most the attendants in town take the bus to work!
i have no doubt these where once common unscrupulous  practices, hopefully those practices will be a thing of the past!

i have a trip meter on my 2001 cherokee, i know how many miles i have traveled and how they where traveled. when i arrive the station i take out my calculator and KNOW EXACTLY how much fuel i will use and how much i will pay!!!! it works perfect every time!!!!

Last edited on Mon Aug 19th, 2019 04:48 pm by frankie

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Hook wrote: Bullshipper wrote: Beakers have been required tobbe present at all Pemex gas stations for over 20 years.

fat fingers, small phone.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
frankie wrote: Bullshipper wrote:

really? that would require a solenoid that is attached to a remote control or direct contact switch, to engage the gears! the remote control would require a radio transceiver and antenna. 
* the Arco station here has 4 islands servicing on each side, 8 pump spigots for regular, 8 pump spigots for premium, 8 metered gauges!
* the remote would also have to have 8 different signals for the 8 different gauges
* seems very complicated and something that would be easily seen!
i guess anything is possible, if it's all about the pesos for profit!

P.S. since the owner does not pump the gas ALL the attendants would have to be in on the scam! there goes the profit! most the attendants in town take the bus to work!
i have no doubt these where once common unscrupulous  practices, hopefully those practices will be a thing of the past!

i have a trip meter on my 2001 cherokee, i know how many miles i have traveled and how they where traveled. when i arrive the station i take out my calculator and KNOW EXACTLY how much fuel i will use and how much i will pay!!!! it works perfect every time!!!!

One switch engages all pumps same time, usually hard wired. Air injection was another old trick to send less gas, as well as small copper return lines to the tank, after the gas was measured.

But I think that the Flecha chain is now pumping the right amounts, and have no idea if others have gone honest now after Pemex let them raise their prices. 

Inspectors were paid 3% of the total sales for the first days of the month by each station that was cheating to turn a blind eye, so I doubt they just gave up on their slush fund after so many years of living the high life. Pemex has always been a cash cow for the dishonest that operate and regulate it. Typically, stations dispensed 945 ml(Qts) and we paid for 1000 ml liters.

Stolen gas at the pump never paid IVA to the government either, so this may be a loop hole the government will try to close, someday. Stolen Gas from the pipelines is really another tax, as we pay more for gas to make up for Pemex losses, and actually pay a monthly stipend of about $8,000 per month the the robbers, in the hope they will stop stealing, but cartels continue to fill truck loads to compensate for lost marijuana sales to the US since legalization started taking a bite out of their coffers.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: Hook wrote: Bullshipper wrote: Beakers have been required tobbe present at all Pemex gas stations for over 20 years.

no slip this time Hook, one gear is honest the second with less teeth steals,and  both are custom made out of molded nylon.

Current time is 11:19 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Does anybody know what octane Mexican premium is? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems