San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Traveling to San carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
cbeddington

Mana: 
will need good diesel on the way down to San Carlos, will we have any trouble finding it. Also it is stay to drive down or is there anyone that’s want s to meet up and join us. We plan to drive down last week of dec. or first week of Jan.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
You should top off in Tucson if possible, much cheaper. If not, in Nogales before you near the border. Cross at Mariposa which is the truck crossing exit. Fuel is available all the way down, just more expensive. I would assume you have large tanks. You can get your visa at K 21. Bring some pesos to pay tolls and watch for the new bypass just North of Hermosillo which avoids traffic downtown and will probably save you 45 minutes and lots of traffic. Travel in daylight due to animals coming out to feed at night. Feel safe, bring common smarts and brain and smile and enjoy. Bienvenidos, Ron

Last edited on Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 03:50 am by Wy Ynot

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
cbeddington

Mana: 
Thanks Ron. We have driven before but many years ago, just feeling a little unsure as traveling alone

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I always Top Off and change dollars for pesos at the gas station/store (Fiesta Market?)just before Mariposa...Red and Yellow store East side of the road.. 

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Cheddington, not much has changed probably, only for the better. Mexico 15 is far wider, far smoother and far safer than past years. Again, watch for Hermosillo bypass to Guaymas on the North side. Many Pemex have changed colors to Arco, Chevron and of course remain Pemex. If you're like us and most folks, the sensationalized news will scare all. Just bring brain and enjoy!! Totonaka is the only game in town for "rv park" but there are many private spots to stay that are secure as well. Several years back, or closer to many, we made several trips down with a Kenworth T800 I converted to single axle pulling a 37 foot fifth wheel with a little Jeep Wrangler attached behind, I am very aware of narrow roads and traffic congestion, LOL. Ron

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
While you are down there you will have to go to guaymas for ULSD. there is an Arco on the left side before you get to town. Have fun!

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Arcos for compliant diesel

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
cbeddington wrote: will need good diesel on the way down to San Carlos, will we have any trouble finding it. Also it is stay to drive down or is there anyone that’s want s to meet up and join us. We plan to drive down last week of dec. or first week of Jan.

Maybe you should define "good diesel". A very subjective term. What are you driving?

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
cbeddington

Mana: 
A new Mercedes so dealer said need USDL grade

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Look for Arco stations. If they have diesel, it will be ULSD. Often times, the diesel pumps are not up front with the gasoline pumps, but on the side or in back.

One potential bit of confusion. In Mexico, the gasoline pump handles are often green, while the diesel pump handles are black. In the US, it's often just the opposite. Double check to make sure you are at a diesel pump. No self-service in Mexico.

However, the Arco IN SAN CARLOS PROPER, DOES NOT HAVE DIESEL. The closest Arco with diesel is towards Guaymas on the east side of Hwy 15. Maybe 15 minutes away at the most.

Diesel is expensive in Mexico. Around 4.00 US per gallon. I am paying about 2.85 in the States and it might be around 2.70-2.80 in Arizona. Fill up at the border in the States. I prefer the Circle K station just off the Mariposa exit. Turn right on Mariposa towards the border, and it is right there on the right.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
cbeddington

Mana: 
Thank u so much.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
390pony

Mana: 
Diesel is $2.97 to $2.99 in Tucson right now.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Hook

Mana: 
390pony wrote: Diesel is $2.97 to $2.99 in Tucson right now.

I never thought I'd see the day when diesel was cheaper in Idaho than in Arizona. What's going on? The first two years I've lived here, all fuels were 20-30 cents/gallon higher than AZ. Not this year.

Reg unleaded can be had at Costco, Walmarts and Maverick stations for the mid to upper 2.70s in the Boise area. Get the Maverick debit card and it knocks another 6 cents/gallon off.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 09:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Super easy drive down. I've taken my 3/4 ton down many times.

Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I saw it for $2.89 this morning near the Tucson airport.

Current time is 03:03 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Traveling to San carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems