San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sushi  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 06:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Pescado dorado

Mana: 

https://opinionsonora.com/2019/04/20/clausuran-restaurante-por-intoxicacion-masiva-al-comer-sushi-en-san-carlos/?fbclid=IwAR0uOP8UZXKrwCVGtZK9n_33N6FU0DpsQGcryB5uds5XRgUR-2B3rTWscbs

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
WOW! Not the kind of "intoxication" I'd want at Semana Santa......

The best sushi in San Carlos is the sushi you make at home. There is probably no substitute, especially if you DONT WANT CREAM CHEESE IN YOUR SUSHI, which is, for some reason, common here.

Sushi is the best use for the Mexican bonito we sometimes catch around here, IMO. Not quite as flavorful as yellowfin tuna, but pretty darn good.

Try taking the loins (or any part of it that is at least an inch thick) roll it in sesame seeds are fry it in a thin layer of hot sesame oil till it appears to be cooked about 1/8 inch in. Delicious with the traditional soy/wasabe concoction or with a homemade ponzu (basically lime juice, soy sauce and a little Asian fish sauce if you have it).

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
IMO the deplorable practice of substituting cream cheese for fish in sushi in Mexico is to reduce costs. It’s too expensive to actually have FISH in the rolls.

I finally gave up ordering sushi rolls anywhere in Mexico.  Only on USA trips now.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
diver45

Mana: 
Remember the sushi night at ruby wine bar awhile back. That was pretty good, you are just asking for diarrhea if you go to sonora roll. Even the outside looks gross.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frankie

Mana: 
pretty strange, we are on the ocean and the sushi IS THE WORST!!!
a couple of weeks ago, we where real lucky fishing. next time we go i am bringing wasabi and soy souse. my mouth was watering when they where cleaning the fish. there where fish eggs in several, they where the best, even without the wasabi and soy!!!!!!

Attached Image (viewed 522 times):

fishing 3.jpg

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
diver45 wrote: Remember the sushi night at ruby wine bar awhile back. That was pretty good, you are just asking for diarrhea if you go to sonora roll. Even the outside looks gross.

I do remember that, and ordered it more than once. Though it was really more like sashimi than sushi, which I love, just as much. I only had yellowtail there.

In fact, I recall asking Bryan on the radio if he thought he had caught enough YT to supply the Sushi Night that week. Believe it was always Thursday.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Hook wrote:
[highlight= rgb(248, 248, 248);]Though it was really more like sashimi than sushi, which I love, just as much. 

sushi with rice or sashimi is without rice! 

my mouth is watering, thinking of enjoying either!!!!

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 11:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Sashimi is my favorite and the platter at Ruby’s was good, though no variety, always yellowtail.

When I asked for sashimi at a restaurant in Guaymas, they didn’t know what it was.  Pitiful.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
A friend of mine in town pretty much turned me on to those sesame-sashimi rolls. They actually freeze very well. I have several rolls, vacuum sealed, in the freezer.

To get them to slice into bite-sized pieces, whether preparing fresh or thawing, it's best to slice the "rolls" when they are just starting to thaw. So we usually put the fresh ones into the freezer for about an hour. With the coating of toasted sesame seeds and the rather soft nature of bonito, even the sharpest knife will simply smush the fish. Freezing keeps it firm. Then, let it thaw completely.

No reason this cant work for YT or most any other kind of fish.

Last edited on Sat Apr 20th, 2019 11:28 pm by Hook

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I've always liked the sushi at Sonora Roll.

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
They were open for drinks last night, but not serving food that I saw.

Man, crowds were by far the lightest I have seen in my 10-11 years of going. At least in terms of walking the streets. Only a few congested areas; the usual spots.

Our group was the only gringos we saw walking the streets. Usually we are running into gringo friends left and right. But it was a very late Easter, so lots have already returned for tax/residency reasons.

The only other ones we saw were at Hair of the Dog and Delfines. 

I spoke with Alex at Hair and he said it was clearly an off year in terms of attendance in San Carlos.

It was good to get reacquainted with some of our Mex friends we dont see very often. We saw Miguel's sister Erica, who used to work at The Edge, Ballena Blanca and other places. Havent seen her in a couple years. 

Last edited on Sun Apr 21st, 2019 02:44 pm by Hook

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
SanCarlosNimzo

Mana: 
The place opened again and 7 more people got sick.
https://opinionsonora.com/2019/04/21/reabren-restaurante-sonora-roll-en-san-carlos-y-arroja-7-intoxicados-mas/

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
They reopened themselves and made 7 more sick. They need to be taught a lesson - made eat their own crap food for 2 weeks.

Posted: Mon Apr 22nd, 2019 06:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankie

Mana: 
shit happens;
i doubt seriously they knew their product was contaminated!

i am not a patron of the restaurant, nor have i  ever been there!!!!!

it is no different than buying contaminated beef, poultry, seafood, produce from your TRUSTED grocery, RESTAURANT in the USA!!!  

IT HAPPENS!!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 22nd, 2019 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
frankie wrote: shit happens;
i doubt seriously they knew their product was contaminated!

i am not a patron of the restaurant, nor have i  ever been there!!!!!

it is no different than buying contaminated beef, poultry, seafood, produce from your TRUSTED grocery, RESTAURANT in the USA!!!  

IT HAPPENS!!!!

Well, if they didnt know the product was bad, then they probably dont know how to tell if the product is bad. So, it can happen again.

Fish gone bad is easy to tell. But sometimes the profit motive trumps the safety motive at restaurants. Fish is easily their most expensive component.

I will stick to making my own, down here.

Thawing some bonito loins and pre-made bonito sesame rolls for a dinner Thursday night. Vacuum sealed and thawing the loins over multiple days in the fridge. It will be raw bonito in spring rolls. Sesame rolls get thawed that evening, so they can be sliced. 

Time to use up the last bottle of sake and the last of the Sapporo, too.

Posted: Mon Apr 22nd, 2019 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankie

Mana: 
hook, look at my picture post #5, do you really think that cleaning surface is bacteria free???

Posted: Mon Apr 22nd, 2019 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
If that is the station at MSC, I have cleaned fish there before. Sure, bacteria could exist.

But what it has going for it is incredible exposure to sun and rinsing the table in the municipal water. That water has something like eight times the amount of chloramines in it that the US EPA recommends. I dont recommend rinsing fish in tap water. If you must, paper towel dry it immediately. It's almost always best to store fish in the fridge in as dry as state as you can. Bacteria thrives better in moist conditions.

Probably even the freshest fish has some bacteria on it. We consume the bacteria in small enough quantities that it isnt dangerous. The key is keeping the growth of that bacteria from increasing dramatically; whether by using good refrigeration or freezing and eating the fish in a timely manner. EVEN FREEZING IS NO GUARANTEE THAT YOU HAVE KILLED ALL THE BACTERIA.

It's also very important to rinse your fish in salt water. That's why we clean fish on the boats (and to reduce the waste on shore). Rinsing in salt water provides another level of reducing bacterial growth.

A place like Sonora Roll has no idea what their fish has gone through when they get it.

At least in sushi bars in the US and Canada, there is a whole industry set up to supply sushi bars with fish that is intended to be eaten raw. Heck, they even farm fish specifically for sushi bars. The hamachi (yellowtail) in sushi bars is WAY more tender than a YT that has had to work for a meal its entire life.

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
They don't use much fish besides flash frozen tuna and salmon that many use. Maybe they used some that was thawed for a day or two? Some bad smoked marlin, bad oysters, crab, some veggies. It could happen to any restaurant down here.

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 01:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Well, they did it twice within one week, and after being closed down for the first sick group.  
You might not feel so forgiving if it was you in the hospital...

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Yes. Maybe they thought they had it pinpointed. One problem and you better close in this town 

Current time is 08:24 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Sushi Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems