San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > 2 sets of US tourists/paisanos robbed, vehicles stolen at gunpoint, at Sonona Only station

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2 sets of US tourists/paisanos robbed, vehicles stolen at gunpoint, at Sonona Only station  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 19th, 2019 10:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 

Pretty sad when people are trying to obey the laws of the country and this happens.

You will need a translator.

https://opinionsonora.com/2019/04/19/sicarios-despojan-a-paisanos-de-dos-vehiculos-al-sur-de-empalme-y-activan-codigo-rojo/

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Guys in a white impala robbed 2 sets of turists of their cars and money within 10 minutes of each other and fled south

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Oregonian

Mana: 
Not apprehended. It's the wild wild south of the border experience. Banditos are at every turn and the policia are complicit or dispatched. Know the reality of your whereabouts. Sad that reality is what it is.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Opinion Sonora seems to like the sensational headline. The word sicario means hitman. Seems like this was a simple robbery. Still disturbing but why over do it?

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 05:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
RichD wrote: Opinion Sonora seems to like the sensational headline. The word sicario means hitman. Seems like this was a simple robbery. Still disturbing but why over do it?

I see the exact same articles on Radar Sonora often. I think they must be affiliated in some way.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 06:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
maryt

Mana: 
This is not good news. According to the article, the ¨paisanos,¨ Americans of Mexican ancestry, had stopped at the car permit place south of Empalme. They were robbed at gunpoint in two separate incidents about 10 minutes apart.

We have been seeing a resurgence of tourism such as many, many buses going to Copper Canyon and stopping in San Carlos and this type of activity coupled with the violence against the police is alarming.

I feel so helpless. I love it down here but one would have to be an Ostrich to put a good spin on any of this.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 01:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
goldin

Mana: 
It appears to me that this was a targeted attack to US licensed cars. They were obviously watching and waiting... It makes me question the need for the Sonora Only permit. If you know you can’t travel beyond Empalme without a sticker, why get it? If your plans are to stay in the free zone, why bother with the sticker. Not sure I follow...

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Not sure I follow what you are not following, goldin. Are you saying "break the law" with respect to the permit? Or, are you thinking that only persons who remain in the free zone read this board? Very confusing.

The NEED for a Sonora Only or Mexico Only sticker still exists. Sometimes decisions to go south of Empalme are made while in the free zone, after one crosses the border and can get one at K21. Probably dozens of cars (or more) have to get them each day, if they want to be legal, from that station. And they ARE sometimes checked farther south, though not at the Empalme station much anymore. Usually it is at the Sonora/Sinaloa border but even that is rare. But if you get in an accident below the line, I bet it is checked by the Federal Police.

I agree with you that they were obviously watching and waiting for a US plated car, though. Why? Probably because the monetary benefit of the robbery is perceived to be greater; given the general affluence of Americans to Mexicans.

Heck, they can steal a car anywhere in Guaymas/Empalme, if thats all they wanted.

But that spot has no close police presence that I am aware of. It's a pretty sure thing that you can rob an American of his/her car and belongings at that hour of the morning. And law abiding Americans WILL be stopping there.

It's probably even more of a sure thing if you see how many police have been pulled off regular "beats" to stand around on the street in San Carlos or on the beaches of Cochorit.

Maybe the lesson to be learned here is to NOT be at that permit station so early in the AM. If you have to get going south, early in the AM, get it the day before. At 0430-0500, it is still pretty much dark.

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
goldin

Mana: 
No, I did not intend to imply to break any laws, obviously. I guess the need for the Sonora only would apply to any place outside the free zone or east of Hwy 15 within the state. My focus was narrow minded. I hope there are other places where this permit can be obtained besides km98. Better else, if there are no other locations, that the police stations at km98 to deter some of the attackers...

Posted: Sat Apr 20th, 2019 03:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
For the thieves to pick off their victims at Km 98, getting their travel money, is almost as good as picking them off as they leave the bank ATM.
There have been recent stories of lone women being robbed as they left banks...

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 12:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
goldin wrote: No, I did not intend to imply to break any laws, obviously. I guess the need for the Sonora only would apply to any place outside the free zone or east of Hwy 15 within the state. My focus was narrow minded. I hope there are other places where this permit can be obtained besides km98. Better else, if there are no other locations, that the police stations at km98 to deter some of the attackers...

I am not aware of any place else to get those permits, besides K21. So that's 4+ hours north.

The exception is for true RVs who can obtain the All of Mexico RV permit by mail in the US.

Last edited on Sun Apr 21st, 2019 12:01 am by Hook

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
goldin

Mana: 
So, if the permit can be obtained at km21, why go all the way to km98? Guess we’ll never know...

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
goldin wrote: So, if the permit can be obtained at km21, why go all the way to km98? Guess we’ll never know...

KM98 used to be way faster than 21 , rarely any lines.

Have used several times .

:)

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 08:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
People that are stealing cars to sell to junk yards for parts are not real concerned about car permits.

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 09:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
goldin

Mana: 
I know I’m speculating as I have no details... I’m trying to understand why anybody would drive all the way to km98 for a Sonora permit if they can get it as they enter at km21. Even if they were going to Navajoa. It makes no sense. It looks like an intentional theft, like an insurance scam?

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
goldin wrote: I know I’m speculating as I have no details... I’m trying to understand why anybody would drive all the way to km98 for a Sonora permit if they can get it as they enter at km21. Even if they were going to Navajoa. It makes no sense. It looks like an intentional theft, like an insurance scam?

Ian and I have already given you two reasons why someone would go there. It's much easier and quicker than K21, especially during a holiday period. And sometimes you dont decide to go farther south until after you have passed K21. Maybe some friends of yours decided to drive to Mazatlan and you want to go with them.

And I just thought of a third. People getting off the ferry in Guaymas from Baja, who intend to travel south, have to get one there.

But you think a staged insurance scam makes more sense? 

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Easy or not, it’s a difference of at least four hours! The ferry option does not apply as these people were from AZ and driving. 
We are not on the same wavelength. But it does not matter. I appreciate the value of your opinion...

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I am not sure you can get Only Sornora permits or all of Mexico permits at KM21 anymore. I have not seen an office but maybe you can. At any rate, if you are going to go further into Mexico you have to go right by km98 anyway.

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
 To clarify, this occurred in Empalme. 

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
RichD

Mana: 
The Only Sonora permit station (km98) is about 10 miles from Empalme.

Current time is 11:29 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > 2 sets of US tourists/paisanos robbed, vehicles stolen at gunpoint, at Sonona Only station Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems