San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Border wait to get worse.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 1st, 2019 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 

I don’t think you are taking into consideration the different in road conditions from one route to the other.
In post #37, Hook said those people left San Carlos at 6 am and didn’t arrive at Lukeville until 1 pm...7 hours travel time.
It’s 4.5 to 5 hours to Nogales, then a 2 hour wait is about equal to the Lukeville route.

Depends on your tolerance for road conditions or sitting in line.  Still sitting in the car either way.

Last edited on Mon Apr 1st, 2019 09:46 pm by MARIGOT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Apr 1st, 2019 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
In a perfect world, if you are going to CA, Lukeville is the best route.

But......there are reports that the road is very potholed from some point north of Caborca to Sonoita. I last drove it about 4-5 years ago and it wasnt that way.

It is also an area devoid of any emergency services for long stretches, if you break down. And you dont really want to have to overnight along the road in that area. It is a major transportation area for drugs and human cargo headed north. The border is open desert in some places up there.

But I would do it again, if there is a meltdown at the border situation in Nogales.

Posted: Mon Apr 1st, 2019 10:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Closing the border, is closing the border. I do not think he would selectively leave some open, and close other crossings. I guess we will see if it happens.

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Hook

Mana: 
MARIGOT wrote:

I don’t think you are taking into consideration the different in road conditions from one route to the other.
In post #37, Hook said those people left San Carlos at 6 am and didn’t arrive at Lukeville until 1 pm...7 hours travel time.
It’s 4.5 to 5 hours to Nogales, then a 2 hour wait is about equal to the Lukeville route.

Depends on your tolerance for road conditions or sitting in line.  Still sitting in the car either way.

Well, you'd still be considerably further west and also a bit north by going Lukeville. And there would be no traffic in PHX or TUC to deal with.

It just depends on where you are going. I avoid PHX when I can, because the traffic is unpredictable.

BTW, mapping services shows the distance between my place in SC to the border is 263 miles. To cover that in 4.5 hours is averaging just under 60 mph. That includes all stops, driving through all towns, the Benjamin Hill checkpoint, etc. That's pretty darn fast for an average.

What we dont know is how fast the drivers are that went through Lukeville. They might not be fast drivers. It isnt a very scientific comparison.

Last edited on Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 12:15 am by Hook

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
Hook

Mana: 
long time resident wrote: Closing the border, is closing the border. I do not think he would selectively leave some open, and close other crossings. I guess we will see if it happens.

Has there ever been a case where bonafide American citizens were not allowed back into the country, en masse?

Was the border closed to American citizens after 9/11?

I just dont see it happening. We may see longer lines, but we will be admitted.

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 02:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
SanCarlosNimzo

Mana: 
I just dont see it happening. We may see longer lines, but we will be admitted.

How will you be admitted?  Do you think the roads will be cleared for Americans? In Mexico? You will not be able to get miles to the border.
But for $500 a head I know a guy who knows a guy that will take you to the USA. 

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
Hook

Mana: 
SanCarlosNimzo wrote: I just dont see it happening. We may see longer lines, but we will be admitted.

How will you be admitted?  Do you think the roads will be cleared for Americans? In Mexico? You will not be able to get miles to the border.
But for $500 a head I know a guy who knows a guy that will take you to the USA. 

Why would Mexicans be on the road at the border, if it is only open to US citizens being allowed back into the US?

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Hook wrote:

Why would Mexicans be on the road at the border, if it is only open to US citizens being allowed back into the US?

because there hundreds of thousands who work and go to school in the USA, who cross back and forth LEGALLY everyday!!

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
Hook

Mana: 
They are legal. They would be admitted, too, I suppose. Legal is legal.

But, at some point, if waits were measured in multiple hours at any practical time of the day, Americans and Canadians would begin to cut back on coming down by car. That would begin to mitigate the wait times. And the average Mexican will feel it. Imagine San Carlos without gringo dollars for 6-7 months of the year?

This problem is not going away unless Mexico decides to limit them coming through at their southern border. If the US slows or closes the border off to them, they become a bigger problem for Mexico than the US. The are stuck in Mexico.

One thing is for sure. This issue will become a political football in the next election; probably with no real solution. But I suspect that the majority of Americans are NOT for some type of increased open border agreement. If the Democratic candidates move in that direction, they will lose votes.

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
JCB

Mana: 
I cross the border often and my experience is that gingos make up only a very small number of the total.  Frankie is correct.  The vast majority are Mexicans that live in Nogales and cross each day to work, go to schools or for shopping at Walmart.  Check the license plates the next time you cross.  Also, they all have access to the border cameras and can adjust their crossing time and place on a minute by minute basis.  The population of Nogales, Son is estimated to be over 500K and a lot of them cross back and forth every day.

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
SanCarlosNimzo

Mana: 
I think I didn't explain correctly. Of course there are more Mexicans crossing every day for work, school, shopping. That is a given.
I was trying to say if the border is closed there will be no help from Mexicans to help Americans get out while they have to stay. 
I think if the border is closed NO ONE leaves.
Just have to wait and see what happens.

Posted: Tue Apr 2nd, 2019 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
This morning I stopped at the end of the Deconcini line at 10:20, was through the gate by 11:30.  One hour and ten minutes.  Had to give away my banana, was already full from the blueberries I brought for snacks.  So my snacks outlasted my wait time today. 👍

The sentri lane had a very long line for quite a while, I kept pace with one truck for about 20 minutes until they finally sped up.  But the line was further back than I could see for Sentri also.

The border checkpoint north of Tubac was open and running today.  Those guys were REALLY grumpy, and not inspiring happiness in any drivers passing through.

It was a very good day, One of my best trips.

Posted: Wed Apr 3rd, 2019 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I have been monitoring both the CBP and the El Imparcial webside virtually all day. It has varied quite a bit. In the early morning, both Mariposa and downtown had virtually the same wait time. Then, from about 9am on, Mariposa became longer. Right now, at 3pm, Mariposa is 45 minutes and downtown is 20 minutes. Those have been the shortest waits of the day.

The longest time were 90 minutes at Mariposa and 75 minutes downtown. That started about 10-11am. It was still an hour at both as late as 2pm.

Posted: Wed Apr 3rd, 2019 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
That’s kind of the trends I saw for the week before I crossed.
But take a looks at the web cams NOW.  At 4:25, there are no lines from downtown Nogales to the Mariposa gates and a line cannot be seen from the toll road lanes either.  Wait time for Mariposa is listed as 5 minutes, which I believe.

What irritates me about the El Imparcial site is they consistently indicate 2 lanes open at Mariposa and Deconcini, when we can clearly on the cameras 4 lanes open at both crossings.

Current time is 07:39 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Border wait to get worse. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems