San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Shrimp info  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 24th, 2019 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Nice sunny drive down to Empalme today. Bought 4 kg of magnificent heads-on, wild blue fresh shrimp - 180 p/kg. Everybody says you're wasting $ buying heads-on - I say no because I get liters of shrimp broth - makes magnificent bouillabaisse. And I get huge shrimp. Hate peeling and cleaning them, fewer the better.  These shrimp were monsters - 6 per pound, extra colossal. Weighed them, and with and without. The heads were 34%, tails were 66%. 

Info - Shrimp "size ratings are usually extra small, small, medium, medium large, large, extra large, jumbo, extra jumbo, colossal and extra colossal. The largest shrimp size you will find is extra colossal. The extra colossal shrimp have an average of five shrimp per pound. The colossal size comes next in line for the largest sized shrimp. Colossal shrimp have approximately 9 to 14 shrimp per pound. Extra jumbo sized shrimp come in next at an average of 18 shrimp per pound. Jumbo size follows at around 23 per pound."

So, when the guy on the corner is selling "grande" - he isn't.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 03:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
Who'd you go with? Claudia or one of the other vendors?

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
In the 70's i visited rocky point a few times a year. They had Monster shrimp for sale. The size of the todays Langanstino 3 to 4 per Lb. One of my buddys didn't like them. He said that he enjoyed the process of peal and eat.  

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
post #1 is the exact description of shrimp, and their classifications, one finds on the internet. Unfortunately the venders here, are unaware of these definitive descriptions, and that includes Claudia, who I always buy from.

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Hook - it was a lady. 2nd one from the road.

So Jimmy, peal and eat, huh! is your friend referring to shrimp or ladies? Personally I prefer less peel, more eat, shrimp of course !!

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2019 01:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Pescado dorado

Mana: 
Watch out for the crook on the corner next to the insurance guy. He says it's all fresh but I know better. He will tell you what you want to hear. He sells ice.

Posted: Sat Mar 2nd, 2019 10:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Snoop

Mana: 
Great to hear roadside vendors are still in business in Empalme! It has been years since I've been to San Carlos and the area, and the one time I drove over to Empalme to buy shrimp from roadside hawkers I remember the enthusiastic lady vendor that tried slipping in a couple of ice cubes in with the shrimp as she weighed them! God bless her!! Lol I really miss the old days at the Shangri-la!

Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Clouisa

Mana: 
Where in Empalme?

Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Best to look it up on G maps. It's due east of Guaymas maybe 10 km from downtown Gym. Can get there either going thru Gym or take the Gym bypass. Cross the lagoon either way.

Current time is 07:39 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Shrimp info Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems