San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Leave if you don't like it, Who has the right to say this?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Leave if you don't like it, Who has the right to say this?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Wind Watcher

Mana: 
Attitudes change everything.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Each individual should be able to choose where they wish to spend time ( laws permitting ) equally I think it would fair to say if you are bitching about a place and only finding the negative those who are happy can say "leave if you don't like it" why not ?

Caroline is 100% right and reflects the attitude that will find pleasure and enjoyment - frankly those who only moan and want to change something to like it was "back home" are the problem - if you don't like it - the door is up highway 15.

Nothing is perfect and yes there are problems and issues - some will not be bothered by them , others will exercise their rights to move on. What is consistently a pain are the never ending complaints about sometimes stupid stuff - authors of posts should realize their remarks are read not only by those of us local who "know" the area and what they may be referring to , but a much wider audience who do not have any knowledge of the local area and who rely on these boards to form an opinion of a place.  This is not only true in San Carlos but many other places as well.

Currently I am in process to relocate to Spain , been in SC 10 years and now feel like a change and new adventure. Great and I am fortunate to be able to - but here is the funny thing - during 6 weeks in the "first world" we have ;

Lengthy and incomprehensible government bureaucrats to deal with - I have to say Immigration in Guaymas was a walk in the park !

Water disruptions - off and on - no warning and the tinaco is a bit small

Electric - way worse than San Carlos - what we would give to see a CFE truck roll up and fix the crappy supply line !!!

Crime - take your choice 5 gunned down in local nightclub just down the coast ( drugs ) , an area of small town 3 miles from us with predominantly "foreign" houses - burgarlies on regular basis. Cars boosted if you don't take precautions . Had to warn wife and mother inlaw to be careful walking the malecón as we have a group in town who are targeting older folks and stealing watches - Rolex's in particular - they come up "do you have the time ? " a hug and then purse watch etc ripped away - broad daylight !  And of course you can always attend a large gathering not knowing if a jihadist is about to take you all to paradise !  

My point is - San Carlos is extremely safe and very easy living most of the time.

Sadly all the conversations I have had with spaniards whilst here , as soon as I mention we live in Mexico , they universally think we are refugees from a virtual war zone - the media have done an awesome job destroying the reputation of a wonderful country. It's a question of balance - and that does not sell news ....

So yes if you don't like SC get on the bike you rode in on and leave - but enough with the good old days - there will be plenty who are just now arriving who will get to spend some really great years here in SC , just as it is, warts and all.

:)

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jordy

Mana: 
Well said Ian. This moving to Spain thing is going to be tough on Tournament Control. You'll need to be available in October or have one hell of an uplink as your calming voice has saved the day many a time.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 05:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
johns

Mana: 
Ian where did you move to in Spain? I spent a bit of time in southern Spain last Spring /summer and found it very pleasant. And many areas still have fabulous bargains on real estate. There are many towns and villages like San Carlos that are very pleasant and have large ex pat communities like San Carlos. Many Americans really like Portugal as well, some of the friendliest people on the planet.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
I believe everyone lives and or visits SC for their own personal reasons. San Carlos is a fun dynamic and very unique little town...Nobody has said it's a HORRIBLE place. Speaking for myself only. I too have made friends that I miss from down there. It just boils down to the fact that I've personally reached the line in the sand that I set myself. That is a Personal decision. Posters 18,19 and 20. I completely respect and appreciate your opinions and or  ANYONE who lives in San Carlos. It's not like the place is a pig pen... SAN CARLOS, IN GENERAL, IS A BEAUTIFUL little town with some wonderful people who live there.

I guess my point was, nobody can turn a blind eye, The Safety and infrastructure issues are very real. As far as new People coming, they will, without doubt, continue to do so.:)
It's still my hope things will turn around, and San Carlos continues to grow and prosper. Maybe the Mexican community who can afford to purchase will start investing more money into San Carlos properties? That's a win-win for everyone..Right??? Sometimes I feel like some folks don't want more of the Mexican community to move in?  I'm probably wrong on that, who would say or think such a thought?
Sincerely, I mean no harm or disrespect to anyone who owns, visits or lives there.! :O) I enjoyed the time that I lived there. 

Last edited on Mon Feb 25th, 2019 04:48 pm by dolphin007

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Johns

Turre / Mojacar initially , plan to be here full time by end of summer.

Have rented for couple years to have time to explore area at leisure , do miss the warmth of SC right now - been a bit chilly !

We are about 15 miles from where the USAF had the accident with some nukes back in the 60’s , so if I am glowing next week will know it was a bad move !

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Hahaha

Mana: 
I live and work here, first in San Carlos and now in Guaymas. I understand why someone would not want to be here, (I lived in Chicago). At the same time, this is where I plan on spending the rest of my life. You have to weigh what is important to you. To me, the people, the opportunities, the experiences make it worthwhile.

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
johns

Mana: 

Thats nice. I have good friends in Altea, which is lovely place (as well as Denia, etc). I had to travel through Spain to get to Gibraltar where I have a sailboat. I have to move the boat in April so considering Valencia, or possibly Malta or Sicily. Would like to moor it in Denia but its too expensive there. Sicily is the least expensive, then Valencia. There is a lovely town near Malaga you might know called La Herradura.  I wanted to bring the boat there but its not big enough (boat is 67 ft.)

I spent many winters in Sac Carlos on and off starting in 1970's when I stayed in a truck/camper in Shangra La, up to last trip a few years ago when I had a 41 ft boat there but rented in Bahia. I think San Carlos is a wonderful place but hard for a quick trip down, as flying in and out of Hermosillo is expensive, and driving takes too long to go for a few weeks (I am in San Francisco Bay Area).

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
Interesting feedback, Ian.  We all miss you and your beautiful bride here in SC.  Our loss is Spain's gain!

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 

Every place that I have lived in the States or in Mexico now has more people and problems. 

Mexicans are very proud of their country and are deservedly tired of being blasted by Trump and all the local  moaning and groaning as most of us live a lot better than they do.

They have the legal right to ask anyone to leave, so lets not spoil this for everyone.

Last edited on Wed Feb 20th, 2019 08:08 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Johns

We were in Jimena de la Frontera in 2016 as a base ( toured Southern Spain for 3 months ) , and this year we spent a short time in Almunecar just down from Herradura - nice part , just a bit chilly in January !

Have heard Denia is worth visiting and really have to get to Valencia and that region as I hear many good things about the area .Climate is one issue for me hence current location dry and usually sunny.

Have not visited Gib this trip but likely will on return - we were there for short visit in 2016 - of course involved shopping ....

Malta on the list to visit - so far have never made it.

Good luck with boat moving

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2019 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I agree with Bullshipper but I would like to add another aspect to his comments. There are some visitors to San Carlos who show much disrespect to the Mexican people by openly disobeying the rules and the laws. While the Mexican people are very gracious, down deep inside Mexicans wish that this class of visitor would leave Mexico and go home. I see this disrespect displayed regularly by a few visitors who frequent the beach at Estero Soldado with their dogs. There are signs all over the place in Spanish and English prohibiting dogs because it is a federally protected area and a bird sanctuary. It is the same set of rules that ALL bird sanctuaries in the USA enforce, give out tickets, and levy fines. Tickets and fines are mentioned on the signs at the estuary. Dogs have been know to chase birds and bite their legs -- permanently disabling the bird. The boca area is full of birds eating as they store up energy for their migration north. I have seen visitors and their dogs romping among bird flocks in this area. During turtle season, these people refuse to leave with their dogs. When confronted by myself or my Mexican students, these people say "report me!".  My students have occasionally told these people that they are no longer welcome here and should go home.  That said, I have received numerous emails about the visitors and their dogs from those Anglo visitors who do care about the estuary. They complain about the lack of enforcement.  This is a big problem because there is a manpower shortage. But the basic issue is a lack of respect for the Mexican people by this class of individuals. I am part of the multicultural group of residents who wish these arrogant visitors would leave San Carlos.

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 06:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Feel bad for ppl who constantly think things were better in the past. It means the world has passed them by.

Anyway, don't let the door hit you in the ass too hard on the way out.

Last edited on Mon Feb 25th, 2019 06:10 am by JZ

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
JZ, should you live long enough to see your off-road, nomadic habitat dwindle on the Baja, we will understand as you lament, what once was. As you know, it will not be replaced with "better".

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
Thoughts from a “New Sucker” here (thanks Jimmy 😉). We’ve been here for about 10 months and absolutely love it. We had one five-day visit in Oct. 2017 and moved here full-time in 2018. No regrets. It’s certainly not perfect but there are workarounds for most of the challenges. There are challenges anywhere you live, with a positive attitude, open mind and effort to assimilate into the community San Carlos is a fabulous place to live FOR US. We have met some amazing friends and are involved in volunteering for a couple of great orgs here. Best of luck to those who feel San Carlos has run its course. ✌🏼

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
MountainbikeVH wrote: Thoughts from a “New Sucker” here (thanks Jimmy 😉). We’ve been here for about 10 months and absolutely love it. We had one five-day visit in Oct. 2017 and moved here full-time in 2018. No regrets. It’s certainly not perfect but there are workarounds for most of the challenges. There are challenges anywhere you live, with a positive attitude, open mind and effort to assimilate into the community San Carlos is a fabulous place to live FOR US. We have met some amazing friends and are involved in volunteering for a couple of great orgs here. Best of luck to those who feel San Carlos has run its course. ✌🏼

It takes time for the "Dalliance" of the Honeymoon with a New Toy to ware off. Best of luck to those who are still on their Honeymoon with San  Carlos. No doubt that If you make it 10 or 20 years in SC (most don't make it that long before moving on) you will look back on these days as the "Good Ole Days".
Disfrutar su Vida....

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
JZ

Mana: 

johnmoore wrote: JZ, should you live long enough to see your off-road, nomadic habitat dwindle on the Baja, we will understand as you lament, what once was. As you know, it will not be replaced with "better".Maybe, but I'll never cry like a baby and feel sorry for myself.

SC is as great as it ever was.  Some just can't hack it there anymore, so they lash out and talk smack on the place.

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2019 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
JZ, you will never cry like a baby and never feel sorry for yourself...….but will you feel sorry that your grandchildren cannot now enjoy that which you once did?

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2019 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
What cant you do now.?

We have much better roads, the fishing, hiking, motor and mountain bike, trails, internet, larger markets, a faster money exchange, lots of good inexpensive resturants, lots live entertaiment, a cheap multi cinema, walmart, sams, home depot, dominos, great doctors, cheap pharamacies, nice people, beautiful scenery, great winter climate, relaxing retirement in cheap housing and utilities and very cheap help.

Ive lived in hmo and sc full time since 1974 so you can also save your breath about the good ol days. The complaining really gets old.

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2019 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Talk about Goods available now...Back in the day, Mexico was a Closed country and the only products available were very limited....If you wanted any US brand stuff you had to bring it yourself...
In the 60's and 70's we would bring used; diving equipment, Hobie Cats, boats & motors and all sorts of camping gear and sell them before returning NOB to finance our vacation.
NAFTA changed all of that....

Last edited on Tue Feb 26th, 2019 09:37 pm by Jimmy

Current time is 04:26 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Leave if you don't like it, Who has the right to say this? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems