San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Drive Along Beltrones in the Dark from Guaymas to San Carlos

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Drive Along Beltrones in the Dark from Guaymas to San Carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 06:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 

Today I drove into San Carlos from Guaymas well after dark (6:30pm). Have not done that in a while so I imagined the pearly string of lights would be a welcome sight.

Started off at the Bridge (exit off of I-15 to San Carlos).  No lights... None at all... Then as you approach the part where previously southbound traffic is merging onto the San Carlos Spur (Beltrones).. again.... No lights... all off.

Then you get a straight away... lights...

You get to Buenos Aires.. where cars might be entering and exiting... again... here the lights are off.

Then you get a straight away... lights...

Now you get to the Delfinario Road intersection... again... lights are off.. and then at that tricky part where the highway gets divided between service road and primary road... again no lights... hopefully newcomers are paying attention to the single yellow X sign at the concrete berm...

Strait away again.. and lights...

Now you approach the first glorieta… you know the one with the parking in the median and the San Carlos sign... and a Detour that forces 4 previous lanes into 1...  Of course... No lights...

Straight away again... and lights....

Next glorieta near Villas de San Carlos... some lights.. not all...

of course now you are in San Carlos proper... so lights..

The operation of the string of pearls along outer Beltrones (San Carlos Spur) is completely random with no regard of safety as they are turned off at the critical junctures...

Who's in charge of this stuff.  Stanger than fiction...  Pardon the rant.... but I'm no longer a resident of San Carlos so I don't have to play the part of the great apologist... Now I'm a tourist and am subject to first impressions.... Like... HEY.. I hope I don't have an accident on all of these dangerous sections with no light...

One positive... In the dark .. you can't see all of those deteriorating and collapsed billboards with their rotting vinyl lonas for the final 5 kilometers before you enter town.. because all pueblo magicos have those... 

Good grief. Is anyone even paying attention? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I am always amazed at this, too. And, unless something has changed, the most deadly part of Beltrones, the curve between the Bahia and the Tetas, is also unlit.

At the time that all those street lights were put in, several of us on both boards predicted that Guaymas would not be able to afford the electric or replacement bill for all of those. So that may explain all the outages.

It was ridiculous overkill, in terms of the number of lights. But I am sure that the contractor and his city or state representative were very happy with it.

Last edited on Wed Feb 6th, 2019 01:11 pm by Hook

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Limey

Mana: 
You forgot!!! the lights were all working at one time... and there was a lot of opposition to all the lights... Then along came the week-end party goers, and you know what happens next....most of the light poles have been plowed down by those exceeding the posted speeds...The poles lay in the median and have laid there ever since. Lighting the straight-away has given a false sense of security ..until you come upon the curves.

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Repairs to road related?

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frankie

Mana: 
IMHO; we could have adequate lighting from "hiway 15" all the way to the end where the light poles stop at the old paradiso!!!
how??
each pole has lamps, disconnect every other lamp, replace the functioning lamps with an energy efficient LED bulbs! the current bulbs in the lamps are probably high W bulbs!
the energy demand would be reduced as much as 80%, or more, allowing  beltrones to be adequately lighted it's full distance, at a much lower cost than what is currently being paid for limited area use!!

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Limey wrote: You forgot!!! the lights were all working at one time... and there was a lot of opposition to all the lights... Then along came the week-end party goers, and you know what happens next....most of the light poles have been plowed down by those exceeding the posted speeds...The poles lay in the median and have laid there ever since. Lighting the straight-away has given a false sense of security ..until you come upon the curves.

You must be a fisherman, with ridiculous exaggeration like this.

I'd say less than 1% of the poles have been knocked down by cars.

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
goldin

Mana: 
In my experience the Guaymas Ayuntamiento is responsible for the lights in Beltrones. I also know that somebody like the Comisario would have to ask for light repairs as GUAYMAS has to repair GUAYMAS before going to SC. Also the Obras Públicas seldom have enough parts to repair poles. Maybe the new Comisario will have the interest and clout to get the lights fixed.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
mp3cdr

Mana: 
You will notice many of the lights on Beltrones are on during the daylight hours as well.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
goldin

Mana: 
If the lights are on during the day that’s a failure of the photocell. Easy to repair if you have the photocell to replace...

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Johnny D

Mana: 
You OLD Gringos have nothing better than to complain about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.
If you did not complain, you would have no reason to live. Please hurry up and go away and complain to sorry, sad people that have boring lives that have nothing better to do.
If the lights b other you so much, why don't YOU Pay to fix them the way you want back in the place you ran away from. UGLY Americans still wanting Mexico to be place that caters to them. After all, don't they know who they are here to SERVE?

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 10:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
goldin

Mana: 

It’s time for a definition. This one by Wikipedia.“Ugly American" is a pejorative term used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad,...”

The fact that “we” are reasonable, American home owners/renters striving for a comfortable living arrangement, like working lights on your way to and from our homes here, does not automatically classify us as “Ugly”. As tax paying residents we have a right to procure the services that are needed for that purpose. 

It seems to me that the only one here being ugly is you... By the way, you are also complaining...

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 02:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Wind Watcher

Mana: 
With taxes as low as they are, perhaps there is a strong need to raise them, like they do in the states, to pay for this type of infrastructure? Lights, sufficient water, draining sewer, paved roads...oh wait! We came here knowing those things weren’t perfect. What has changed your minds? :shock:

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Perfection always comes at a high price.

There’s nothing wrong with trying to get things fixed. Specially if you knew of the status quo. I think it’s part of “belonging”...

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
My comments are not a call for perfection. I understand resources are limited.

The 'Is anyone paying attention?' comment, was simply frustration. It seems an obvious cost effective solution to redeploy some of the remaining working lights to dangerous sections of the highway, like bridges, curves and entrances and exits that lay in darkness... That's all.

I had a strong tone. Upon further review, I should have written the posts in a more mellow fashion.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
goldin

Mana: 
No need to apologize, odwyerpw. We live with our reality every day.

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2019 07:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
They are repaving Beltrones, and the new main highway  is also great with no potholes that you can't see with your head lights. But highway roundabouts and cross roads should be lighted, so I agree with the poster about this, and hopefully they will work on them.

But having so many working lights as we currently have goes well beyond what is actually needed or the straightaways unless there are vulnerable women and children walking at night through high crime areas. 

Last edited on Thu Feb 7th, 2019 11:01 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 07:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
goldin wrote:
It’s time for a definition. This one by Wikipedia.“Ugly American" is a pejorative term used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad,...”

The fact that “we” are reasonable, American homeowners/renters striving for a comfortable living arrangement, like working lights on your way to and from our homes here, does not automatically classify us as “Ugly”. As taxpaying residents, we have a right to procure the services that are needed for that purpose. 

Unfortunately goldin, the fact is WE TAX PAYING AMERICANS, have NO right to procure anything regarding our tax dollars.  That is a fact.  Thing get done because we usually just get tired and pay to have it done...  The City does make effort from time to time. We all knew this when we bought here. Sorry :O(

Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
goldin

Mana: 

I hear you, dolphin. There’s ways and then there’s ways...My idea was not one of protesting, hunger strikes, caravans, high vocalizations, etc. No, not me. However, I’ve found it interesting some of the dichotomies of being a tax paying resident. Isn’t it true that when you buy property here you are to have, attached to your deed, the Protective Rules for your colonia? And don’t those rules include the requirement to “belong” by becoming a member of a HOA? As the law states “belonging” allows you the privilege of being represented in front of the local government.
Additionally, doesn’t this “belonging”, while a member, grants you the “right” to be considered a Mexican in your dealings in front of the government as a HOA member? Very convoluted if you asked me. I guess the answer probably lies in some, very expensive legal opinion. I would not know

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2019 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
frankie

Mana: 
the thread is about street lighting on beltrones!
we all pay a small percentage on our electric bills, that is intended for public street lighting.
i am attaching a photo of my billing you'll see a star where it is marked "DAP" that informs me how much i contributed!

Attached Image (viewed 181 times):

elec bill.jpg

Posted: Mon Feb 18th, 2019 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Then there are some of us that do pay a lot more in taxes then just the property tax. Those of us that work here, and pay taxes, they are more then what we would pay in the US> We also are paying 16% sales tax, which is pretty high! Also a 16% service tax, also high! As far as things being the same when we moved here, they are not. When I moved here, we had plenty of water, the roads were in better condition, utility services worked almost always, and you never heard anyone bitching. Many people would pitch in and help the residence association with whatever project they had going. The community raised money for what they considered important projects, and people basically seemed to get along with out complaining. The Comisario had some power, and if you had a problem, they would deal with it immediately. Yes, the times they are changing, but saying people should leave , if they don't like it, is not the answer, and who has the right to say this?

Current time is 03:47 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Drive Along Beltrones in the Dark from Guaymas to San Carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems