San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Passport expiring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Cole4

Mana: 
Does anyone have experience crossing at Mariposa with less than 6 months left on your passport? Just coming down for a 10 day visit. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
Your passport is either expired or not.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
390pony

Mana: 
Many countries require at least six months left on your passport. Don't know about Mexico, but you should be able to Google that. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
No problem getting back in to the US if it is not expired but you may have a problem getting a Mexican Visa. Certainly will not be able to get a 180 day visa. Seems like a good chance of getting a 10 day visa but I am not sure. Good luck.

Multiple places have wording similar to this....
Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Not sure about Mexico, But if trying to enter USA from Canada or abroad, you'd probably BE TURNED DOWN. Like suggested, thats a long drive to be turned away. I'd get an official response from an official site. Safe travels.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JZ

Mana: 

EZ MONY wrote: Your passport is either expired or not.Try flying to an Asian country with less than 6 months remaining on your PP.  They won't let you on the plane.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 10:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
They tend to be a little more lenient coming home in my experiences, however all of that is over the last 10 years, and every time tends to be different. Had one girl come back up and only realize her passport was expired when the agent at Mariposa asked if she knew. Let us go on through though without hesitation.

As said previously, don't know if it's something I'd push in this climate.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Mexico is very lenient - look at the thousand of caravan'ers they let in - no visa. or passports. Neither US nor Can will keep out citizens with expired passports, or lost or whatever. Now, they might jerk around a Can trying to drive back thru the US with an expired passport. It all depends of if they OD'd on steroids that day.

Best maybe to use the old - hide in the car and don't get a "visa" trick - but don't drive a car.

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2019 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Can you get the Mexican Visa at a consulate in Canada or online from them or someone like Baja Nomads so they can mail it to you before you come?

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2019 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JCB

Mana: 
If you have a passport, getting a new one isn't a big deal.  If you can afford to travel, you can certainly afford to get a new passport.  It is childish to try to skip around the issue and the day may come when you are caught without a valid passport and find yourself locked up.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Well, mine expires in June and no one has mentioned it the four times I have returned from Mexico in the last 7 days. Further, my Residente Temporal was issued for two years, expiring 6 months after my passport...

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 12:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
As Ironman implied, I wouldn't sweat it if time is not on your side, and you are not flying. Never been asked for mine other than at airports, or when purchasing property or setting up business over the last 40 years, living here.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 05:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JZ

Mana: 

IronMan wrote: Well, mine expires in June and no one has mentioned it the four times I have returned from Mexico in the last 7 days. Further, my Residente Temporal was issued for two years, expiring 6 months after my passport...
Your situation is completely different from the OPs.  Going back into the US isn't the issue.  PPl can get back into the US on a drivers' license (might get sent to secondary).  And in your case, you don't need to worry about getting a FMM coming into MX.  You have a more permanent doc.

I'm not saying it will be an issue for the OP, but it could be.  Much more chance when flying, then driving.  At least when driving he can say, screw it, and not get a FMM.  I wouldn't book a flight to MX unless I knew 100% it wouldn't be an issue.

For sure flying to a lot of international cities they won't let you on the plane if you only have 6 months left on the PP.

Last edited on Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 05:40 am by JZ

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 05:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JZ

Mana: 

Bullshipper wrote: As Ironman implied, I wouldn't sweat it if time is not on your side, and you are not flying. Never been asked for mine other than at airports, or when purchasing property or setting up business over the last 40 years, living here.If you get an FMM you are asked for a PP every single time.   Besides that, I've been asked for mine dozens of times when importing bikes, trucks, boats, etc.  So, let's not act like the MX govt. doesn't ask to see our passports.

Again, it's different for different situations.  Your situation is unlike the OP's.  He's coming down for a short 10 day trip.

If I had to "guess" I'd say he can most likely get an FMM w/less than 6 months on the PP (driving).  But if I was coming with my kids, wife, and/or friends I wouldn't just roll the dice.  (at a minimum, I'd blow off trying to get an FMM before trying my luck).

Last edited on Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 05:57 am by JZ

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Cole4

Mana: 
It's not about the money.  It's the timing of getting it renewed especially with the government shutdown.  They say they're still issuing passports, but hate to trust how efficiently. Soon to expire passport might be better than not having it back since you have to send the old one in.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
To answer the question posted.

If you are crossing at Mariposa and getting a tourist visa you will not have a problem with your passport.

Many answered but did not answer your question.

Posted: Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
JZ wrote:
Bullshipper wrote: As Ironman implied, I wouldn't sweat it if time is not on your side, and you are not flying. Never been asked for mine other than at airports, or when purchasing property or setting up business over the last 40 years, living here.If you get an FMM you are asked for a PP every single time.   Besides that, I've been asked for mine dozens of times when importing bikes, trucks, boats, etc.  So, let's not act like the MX govt. doesn't ask to see our passports.

Again, it's different for different situations.  Your situation is unlike the OP's.  He's coming down for a short 10 day trip.

If I had to "guess" I'd say he can most likely get an FMM w/less than 6 months on the PP (driving).  But if I was coming with my kids, wife, and/or friends I wouldn't just roll the dice.  (at a minimum, I'd blow off trying to get an FMM before trying my luck).

I was refering to having my FMM checked, not my passport. And I believe the US law states that a passport is required for entry back into the US.

Last edited on Wed Jan 23rd, 2019 06:08 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2019 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote:And I believe the US law states that a passport is required for entry back into the US.

I wouldn't advise anyone to try it.  But they have to let you in. 

Last edited on Fri Jan 25th, 2019 12:13 am by JZ

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2019 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
RichD

Mana: 
cole4 I think you have a reasonable concern about not getting your new passport back in time. Getting the FMM online is going to be a problem with the expiration withing the window. Seems like your best option is to show up at the border and request a 10 day FMM. The risk is being turned away, might be a small chance of that but it could spoil your trip. If you decide to take a chance, please report what happens.

Posted: Thu Jan 24th, 2019 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
contez

Mana: 
If money is not an issue, you can renew your passport in the same day in all major cities in USA.
U & K

Current time is 05:46 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Passport expiring Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems