San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cell phone coverage  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
will rogers

Mana: 
Four years ago when I switched to Telcel Verizon worked in SC but not on the highway from Nogales.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The mountains in both places affect coverage

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
AT&T is seamless in Mexico and between US and Mexico and all the way down HWY 15...Others kinda work but AT&T Does Work perfectly, it is the Best, it works everywhere there is cell coverage. If you want the best seamless and widest coverage use it. Or you can waste your time and $$ experimenting. Been that way for 20+ years. Before the other carriers ever came along.  There are some technical reasons why but I am not a tech and can not explain. 

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:38 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
You can get a Telcel Sim from Amazon.

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
When I want a telcel to use when I am in Mexico I buy a throw away from OXXO. Sometimes I used call forwarding on my US AT&T to my throw away telcel. Usually, now a days when I am in SC I just use my US AT&T for all my calls, local Mexico calls and US... When I return to Arizona I give the telcel away to some friend who needs it.

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 07:48 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 08:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Bullshipper, I had Verizon for years. Yes they were good, but I was charged soooooo much more fro using my phone from Mexico back to the USA.
I finally swithched to the ALL OF NORTH AMERICA PLAN
with ATnT.
Issues resolved. Been good for years now. Little more expensive, but well worth the LACK OF CONSTANT FRUSTRATION! LOL!!! ( Im all about saving a buck!) I guess we cant hav it all for nothing. We already live here dirt cheap!

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
JZ

Mana: 

will rogers wrote: Four years ago when I switched to Telcel Verizon worked in SC but not on the highway from Nogales.Going back 10 years we were able to stream TV shows onto a laptop using AT&T all the way from SC to Nogales.

Verizon has been crappy for international travel for 20 years.

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
JZ

Mana: 

Jimmy wrote: AT&T is seamless in Mexico and between US and Mexico and all the way down HWY 15...Others kinda work but AT&T Does Work perfectly, it is the Best, it works everywhere there is cell coverage. If you want the best seamless and widest coverage use it. Or you can waste your time and $$ experimenting. Been that way for 20+ years. Before the other carriers ever came along.  There are some technical reasons why but I am not a tech and can not explain. The technical reason is that AT&T uses the same technology as Telcel and has roaming agreements with them.

Verizon and Sprint choose (poorly) to go with a competing technology.

Fast forward and Version has switched technologies, but in the mean time AT&T has bought carriers in MX.

Last edited on Tue Feb 5th, 2019 12:20 am by JZ

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
rdsailing

Mana: 
So much good info here, much appreciated.  I am mainly concerned with data, and need about 10-20GB per month.  Normally just use my hotspot on my T-Mobile phone.  

Problem is if you use too much data overseas, they can cut you off.  We also spend a few months sailing in BC during the summer.  

One last question, any idea what the coverage is like out at anchor

Attached Image (viewed 119 times):

San carcos.png

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:29 pm by rdsailing

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Verizon works offshore untill i go as far as the island, where telcel also turns off

Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
mp3cdr

Mana: 
T-mobile works great in San Carlos and Guaymas. Get the Senoir plan (55+).... Unlimited in Canada, US and Mexico.

Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 02:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
AlS

Mana: 
The cell business has changed greatly in the last few years. Huge investments in infrastructure. New frequency bands in the USA and Canada. LTE roll out even to small markets in all three countries of North America.

TelCel has been the the best coverage in Mexico by quite a bit. MoviStar used to be a distant second. The others were distant third.

AT&T created AT&T Mexico and bought the distant third tier providers. Then AT&T Mexico invested hugely in infrastructure. Now AT&T Mexico is about par with TelCel. AT&T Mexico data network is less congested than TelCel's in many busy areas.

T-Mobile USA has sharing agreements with TelCel now. It used to have sharing agreement with MoviStar a few years ago. AT&T USA has a sharing agreement with AT&T Mexico - it used to be with TelCel before AT&T Mexico. So AT&T USA and T-Mobile effectively swapped sharing agreements in Mexico.

Verizon's sharing agreement is with MoviStar.

Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
So, just like I said, AT&T is the best NOB carrier for Mexico....And has been for a long time. If you want the Best get it. But, please stop recommending inferior carriers just because You use them!  

Last edited on Tue Feb 5th, 2019 03:08 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2019 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Cricket, which is owned by AT&T, is a good inexpensive alternative that works very well here in Mexico. Cricket removed it's restrictions for the % of useage in Mexico. It works in Canada, USA and Mexico. Of course my TelCel also works in Canada, USA and Mexico.

I keep a Dual-Sim Phone, so I have my Telcel and my Cricket Sims in it, so both numbers always work. I'll occasionally swap chip positions because the Sim1 position supports LTE and the Sim2 position doesn't.

Anyway, keeps me in touch with both Mexican and US phone numbers whether I am in Mexico or the USA.

The key to success of a dual sim phone is the way you record your phone numbers in your Contacts Manager.

For Example: a Guaymas number would be stored as +52 1 622 226 1234
a Tucson number would be stored as +1 520 389 1234.

That makes sure that text messages and phone calls always go through regardless of which sim (phone number) you dial from.

Last edited on Tue Feb 5th, 2019 05:35 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Wed Feb 6th, 2019 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
JZ

Mana: 
AlS wrote: The cell business has changed greatly in the last few years. Huge investments in infrastructure. New frequency bands in the USA and Canada. LTE roll out even to small markets in all three countries of North America.

TelCel has been the the best coverage in Mexico by quite a bit. MoviStar used to be a distant second. The others were distant third.

AT&T created AT&T Mexico and bought the distant third tier providers. Then AT&T Mexico invested hugely in infrastructure. Now AT&T Mexico is about par with TelCel. AT&T Mexico data network is less congested than TelCel's in many busy areas.

T-Mobile USA has sharing agreements with TelCel now. It used to have sharing agreement with MoviStar a few years ago. AT&T USA has a sharing agreement with AT&T Mexico - it used to be with TelCel before AT&T Mexico. So AT&T USA and T-Mobile effectively swapped sharing agreements in Mexico.

Not so fast my friend.  AT&T for years and years used Telcel and Movistar networks as roaming partners.  Service switched over depending on which one had the best coverage in a particular area.  So, AT&T was #1, as they gave you the best of both MX carriers.

After the acquisitions in the last 3-4 years (of the 3rd tier networks), there was a good year or so where AT&T's coverage went down and wasn't as good as it use to be.  I had so, so service even in the Bahia and Hwy 15 was spotty.

That has been fixed now.  Btw, AT&T still has roaming agreements with Telcel.

Last edited on Wed Feb 6th, 2019 02:05 am by JZ

Current time is 10:54 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Cell phone coverage Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems