San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pueblo Escenio is kaput?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
I saw an article on Mexico Daily News yesterday, stating that the Mexican Federal Government has decided to de-fund the Pueblo Escenico program. It seems the two main reasons given is that, one, there was no measure in place to determine if the funding for each town was having any measurable effect. And, two, the criteria for determining which towns "deserved" the designation often came down to corrupt federal bureaucrats passing monies to corrupt state and city officials. The Feds said they have no problem if the states want to continue the program, but they will have to fund it on their own. 

Here is the "front page" for Mexico Daily News. Scroll down near the bottom to find the article. MDN limits the number of articles you can read each month, without becoming a member or paying something. I am almost out of my December quota.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/

BTW, there was a link within the article that showed the 10 cities that were granted Pueblo Escenico status in October. San Carlos was not one of them.

Last edited on Tue Dec 25th, 2018 07:55 pm by Hook

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I would agree the program was probably a money maker for a bunch of politicians and other crooks.  Look how the local people rushed to spend the money that was allocated to San Carlos to compete for the designation.
It may be very difficult to determine how much tourism has increased in any of the towns with the Pueblo Escenico designation.  How could they prove tourists visited for that reason as opposed to just going to that town because they heard it was pretty, with historical buildings?  Or it was on their way to another destination?
I support AMLO’s decision to do away with the program, in an effort to reduce opportunities for corruption.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JCB

Mana: 
On the plus side, I have been continually amazed by how many Mexicans stop at the San Carlos sign to walk around and take photos.  That sign was part of the original grant.  Now if the workers would just clean up the weeds.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I agree the new location for the San Carlos sign is much easier and safer to access and take selfies than where it was previously located on the hillside.  Only the young people climbed up there to have their picture taken with the letters.  And there is plenty of parking in the new location, as opposed to just leaving their cars on the edge of the roadway.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 11:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Angel

Mana: 

The name of the program that ended is "Pueblos Mágicos".  Before San Carlos was ever on a list to possibly get a Pueblo Mágico status, Janey McLean I believe was the promoter to make San Carlos a "Pueblo Escénico", but it was more like a local thing. Maybe she can elaborate on that. 

Hook wrote: I saw an article on Mexico Daily News yesterday, stating that the Mexican Federal Government has decided to de-fund the Pueblo Escenico program. It seems the two main reasons given is that, one, there was no measure in place to determine if the funding for each town was having any measurable effect. And, two, the criteria for determining which towns "deserved" the designation often came down to corrupt federal bureaucrats passing monies to corrupt state and city officials. The Feds said they have no problem if the states want to continue the program, but they will have to fund it on their own. 

Here is the "front page" for Mexico Daily News. Scroll down near the bottom to find the article. MDN limits the number of articles you can read each month, without becoming a member or paying something. I am almost out of my December quota.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/

BTW, there was a link within the article that showed the 10 cities that were granted Pueblo Escenico status in October. San Carlos was not one of them.

Posted: Wed Dec 26th, 2018 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
Approximately 4 years ago the initiative called "Pueblo Escenico", or Scenic Town, was adopted by the State of Sonora Tourism and the City of Guaymas.  Shortly thereafter, the leadership in Guaymas changed and the attention that the movement had garnered to that point ended. 

A small group of people came up with the idea and promoted it to government for several years before the designation became official.  The founding members knew that we could not comply with the requirements for Magical Town status, and this initiative was a way to gain assistance from government agencies that could, or might have helped with funding for sustainable beach cleaning, litter control, education, signage, etc.  The last city administration applied for the Magical Town status and apparently that was unsuccessful.  It's terrific that they made the attempt.  

In my humble opinion, the Pueblo Escenico/Scenic Town idea is more valid than ever.  Hopefully we can work with the new leadership and create some energy behind Pueblo Escenico.  It's worth a try.  

For more information you can visit the website or Facebook page for: 

http://sancarlospuebloescenico.com/

https://www.facebook.com/SanCarlosPuebloEscenico/

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2019 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
It's a shame the program will be removed for Alamos. However, to be honest, the state of Sonora has been funding most of the annual music and film festivals in the last few years.

One thing that I fear will be lost are the Tourist police. They are helpful... always on foot... no guns... directing traffic, giving directions, etc... Gaurding the plazas at night. It's a nice sense of security for tourist and locals of the little town located on the fringe of the cartel controlled sierra...

I'd recommend changing the title to the '¡Pueblo Magico Program is Caput!'.. with the exclamation marks instead of a question mark. 

Last edited on Wed Jan 2nd, 2019 04:08 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2019 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
There was "NEVER" a chance that this little ( sliver of GUAYMAS, San Carlos ) was ever going to be considered for such a title!!!!
San Carlos, unfortunately, does not even meet the criteria to participate.
We are NOT our own City, We are NOT a HISTORICAL landmark nor do we possess significant Historical Monuments. These rules have been established for many years.
Whatever little get together that occurred between a few People here and in Guaymas was nothing more than smoke ~n~ mirrors. They may have had good intentions???? But It was well Know between the who's who That this was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN..

This deception isn't new or unique!!
Happens all the time. We are so blind to the reality it's shocking to me.
We are spoon fed BS about San Carlos all the time.

I'm sure to take much heat over my comment. But it's the cold hard truth.
On an up note maybe someone will convince THE STATE OF SONORA to start its OWN little program?

Then again, maybe the State of Sonora will BEGIN TO seriously consider REBUILDING THE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR THIS ONCE quaint vibrant clean little town.
Pueblo Magico it is NOT!

Could it be? Who knows, I'm 58 and may live long enough to see that day.

I'd be happy to GET BACK (A.) consistent runnning water THAT WE PAY FOR EVERY MONTH WHETHER WE RECEIVE IT OR NOT! and (B.) consistent garbage pick!
Bottom line, San Carlos is driven by the fact that there are VERY FEW PLACES THIS CLOSE TO THE USA THAT ONE CAN COME LIVE OR VISIT FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR.
MOST OF ALL LIVE ON OR NEAR THE OCEAN.
Whether the State takes a proactive stance in San Carlos r NOT the people will continue to come for the reasons I just mentioned.

We can't have it both ways..... If your financially vested in this town, you want to see the growth... If a person is a homeowner and or Snowbird, they really would like to see San Carlos stay small and quaint. The powers that run the city in Guaymas most likely are NOT going to vest into San Carlos. This town is kept small for a reason. BEING ON THE RADAR IS NOT IN SOME PEOPLES BEST INTEREST.
Does any of you watch NETFLIX? Lots of very interesting documentaries on the State of Sonora.
One could just type in Sinaloa Cartel.
FYI: Most of the windshield washers and juggling entertainment ACTS at the stop lights are NOT there for THE REASONS as you might think!

Crime is bad in the USA, Mexico and Many other countries. SO I guess one must just put all that aside and enjoy living by the Ocean for CHEAP.

There's a reason San Carlos isn't a GREAT BIG TOURIST TOWN. It's not even its own city....
It's the best kept little secrete...be careful what we wish for!!
HAPPY 2019 TO ALL.. :o)

Ps. I will continue to WISH WE HAD the consistent ground running water THAT MOST OF US pay for!!! This no water /No trash is BS!! I'm no longer interested in all the excuses! It is what it is!

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Back in the very early 80's when I moved to San Carlos full time, the water ran (we always had it) the trash was always picked up, the prices were a bargain, and the restaurants actually had consistently good food. The people were even nicer....Times have changed. I no longer want to go through the desert, because it is piled with garbage, and the roads are lacking in maintenance, and the people just do not seem to care anymore. Corruption is about the same, but more blatant, and the government officials seem meaner. Use to be able to explain a situation, and it would be dealt with, now, no one seems to care, and the only thing of importance is the almighty dollar. How sad the direction that everything seems to be headed in.

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
long time resident, Yes, it's sad and doesn't seem to be getting better. It may end up that we will PAY ultimately for every single upgrade San Carlos see's regarding infrastructure... It's Keeping the greedy hands out of the pot that's impossible..

Can't wait for that water sample to come back??? IF THEY DONT LIE, it should be very, very interesting....

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Hahahaha LTR how True...well, my little piece of heaven was taken over by my Mexican Family...They didn't pay for the water, it was cut off...They didn't pay for their currente, it was cut off . Yet they live there without currente and they steal water from next door...(Pura Campasinos) When I visit now I stay at the hotel....Oh Well, we are all happy in Wonder Land.with Tecate Roja

Last edited on Fri Jan 4th, 2019 10:51 pm by Jimmy

Current time is 02:13 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Pueblo Escenio is kaput? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems