San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
border crossing/nogales  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 07:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 

i'm getting conflicting information on this issue.  We will be driving a GMC extended cab pick up with canopy , fully loaded , if it is "over weight" can we get a special permit to bring it in? it's currently at 6200 lbs without adding the weight of the canopy.  If this is the incorrect forum, please let me know..Thank you.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I think you're getting conflicting information because there was a period about two years ago where they were saying that 1 ton trucks were not allowed in, period. There was a specific weight rating, but I cant remember what it was, but it was basically 1 tons. There was no permit that alleviated this, as I remember. It was no go.

It only lasted a short time and was MOSTLY when crossing at the Texas border crossings. But I did talk to one person in the last two weeks who said he was stopped for this reason at Nogales Mariposa. They eventually let them enter after he sat there for many hours and they felt sorry for him (or so he thought). This was also during that period a couple years ago.

I havent heard of anything recently. I crossed in a 1 ton truck in November with no problem. I was pulling a utility trailer and they just wanted to make sure I had the registration and compared the VIN numbers on the trailer.

Last edited on Sat Dec 15th, 2018 07:58 pm by Hook

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 08:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
the maximum GWVR  is 7716 which basically means with our canopy and a fuel plus 2 people and a wee bit of gear we will be over the GWVR limit. But, San Carlos is in the "free zone" correct so not sure how the TIP goes for something like that.  Researching further. Thank you for your info.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
and this truck is rated at 2 which is correct, means 2T with a GWVR of 6200. My scale is 4216, max allowed is 7716. Just don't know if they are going to weigh us out at scale, with fully loaded we could easily get close to the 7716 max.

Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I have never seen an operating scale on Hiway 15. I cannot imagine you would have a problem. I am curious, what is the conflicting information you have heard that worries you?

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
If your load is more than 7316? Or whatever the max is...you will get turned away..others say no worries if your gwvr is less than that no matter what you are carrying scale wt you are good to go. Hubby says no way! We will be carrying over our 6200 gwvr so there goes my plans to pack all i want!!! Thank you!!

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hook

Mana: 
What year is this GMC? Isn't it a half ton truck?

When this was being enforced, they were looking at the designation on the truck, i.e., 350, 3500, etc. If they had a question, they would look at the sticker on the door jamb. But there was never any attempt to actually weigh the truck with the goods in back. Even empty 1 ton trucks were being turned back for a short time. It was the rating, not what they were carrying.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Who would turn you away? Unless you get a red light, they don't even look at the vehicle anymore. There are certainly no scales you go through. Kind of confused here.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
There are many single tire and dual tire one tons down here from the US and Canada. Drive through Totonaka RV park and look. Many MX plated one tone mostly used for delivery. I have never seen a permanent or portable scale here. That's why the roads are in such "broken, cracked, rutted and potholed" disrepair. Whatever the big guys can pile on is the limit (space), not weight. I think your worries are misplaced. I would want to be the last to give you bad advice or get you in trouble. Ron

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
Dont know which crossing they were speaking of. We will carry legally abd be within our limit

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 03:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JZ

Mana: 

RichD wrote: Who would turn you away? Unless you get a red light, they don't even look at the vehicle anymore. There are certainly no scales you go through. Kind of confused here.

If you are carrying bikes they stop you every single time regardless of red light /green light.  Same for a trailer.  Maybe the same for a camper shell, just to have a look. 

But couldn't imagine they would stop you for weight.  I mean, buses and semis travel the road by the hundreds every single day.

Last edited on Sun Dec 16th, 2018 03:39 am by JZ

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 10:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I did some research on this issue for another project and my sources included web sites for those who operate RV caravans going into Mexico.  Basically if you are driving a half ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup you won't have an issue.  However, the new very large fifth wheel RV haulers that have become popular that are built on commercial truck chassis, like a Freightliner, Kenworth, Ford 550, etc are not allowed in.  Mexico considers these to be commercial vehicles and won't permit them.

My personal experience is based on several years of driving a Chevy 2500, crew cab long bed diesel with a camper shell on the bed.  I would often get stopped so inspectors could look inside the shell, but never had an issue with the size of the truck.

Hope that helps.  Your GMC should not have an issue.

Bart

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 12:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 

thank you Bart! so looking forward to our long term stay in San Carlos and didn't want to start out with a problem.  Now we can just move forward with fixing up the canopy shell and not have to worry about the weight issue.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Chet

Mana: 
Even though you may get a green light, the are likely to pull you over because of your size and my want to see what you are carrying in case you did not declare taxable items.

Current time is 08:17 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > border crossing/nogales Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems