San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hygiene on the Golf Course  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
ALEMAN69 I looking forward to you getting your water samples back!

LOOK! Nobody is really dogging on San Carlos, Their frustrated! Many are simply telling the truth about the very real issues we have down here! If you lived on one of those fairways in question, you're probably concerned as well. You thought you bought fairway views? That could possibly change.  That would be terrible!!  I don't live in that part of San Carlos, HOWEVER, I FELT BAD THAT PEOPLE WOULD DARE SAY THAT THIS MAN  IS BEING SLANDEROUS!!!

AMAZING TO WHAT EXTREMES SOME WILL GO TO SPEAK NOTHING BUT RAINBOWS AND UNICORNS IN SAN CARLOS!

Alermen, You NEVER SAID anyone WOULD in fact, catch those nasty diseases, you merely suggested that both of those bacteria's are nothing to mess with! I'm with you frankly, touching the ground/grass that many times would suggest that a person should use extra hygiene precautions!!  Aleman, you've lived in SC for many years, your a business owner as well. VERY UNDESERVED SCARE TACTIC BEING USED ON YOU. That's a laughing joke!  Slander! Please! 
Try to take that one to court! ha,ha,! 

We all have agreed on NUMEROUS OCCASIONS  that going through the court system in Mexico takes longer then many of us have years left to even live!!!  

PLEASE!!! It's not like people aren't diagnosed with both those bacteria regularly! Stay real folks! San Carlos is merely a little town on the outskirts of Guaymas!
IT DOESNT SEEM FAIR THAT PEOPLE GANG UP ON SOMEONE FOR SPEAKING THERE MIND. Is there? we have a sewage and water issue all over Guaymas and San Carlos! The majority of folks play golf on that course because its all there is!!

I think there are some beautiful homes in the Country Club. This works for many people!

ALL buyers should school themselves to the issues San Carlos is facing right now! Sad but true. IT SIMPLY IS WHAT IT IS!   Hopefully with the opportunity opening up for more Mexican Nationals to move to San Carlos with their money that follows, just maybe they will have the same concerns and will promote change for SAN CARLOS!
WE ARE GUEST!!!!

WHY DONT GRINGO'S who seem to think they have so much pull with the local government push to separate San Carlos?  Many of you OWN BUSINESSES, maybe the PUSH should be HARDER TO LOBBY GUAYMAS TO LET SAN CARLOS BECOME IT'S OWN CITY(sector?)

We already know the answer to that question! Oh, it could be done, but the Mexican Gov in Guaymas isn't EVER gonna let that happen! WE MAKE TO MUCH MONEY FOR GUAYMAS!
The Golf course its self has HAD ISSUES for a long time. ( horse poop and cow poop everywhere, HUMPY. LUMPY, The stench from the nasty water smell and the general upkeeped fairways is far from what a 1st TIME VISITOR WOULD EXPECT!! When you vacation at most resorts, the golf courses seem to be a priority and maintained nicely. 
( So many courses worldwide are suffering, it's just so expensive!) 
San Carlos golf course ISNT in parrel for those reasons.

A Un knowing person would not expect to show up for vacation and see a golf course like ours! lOTS OF OTHER POSITIVE BEAUTIFUL THINGS TO DO AND SEE.

SC has been in the middle of controversy for years. ANYONE WHOSE BEEN HERE ANY LENGTH OF TIME IS WELL AWARE! Up until last year, many things were tolerable. The water and very poor sewage issues are a reason for concern.  SAN CARLOS ISNT IN HONDURAS FOR GOODNESS SAKES!  Mexico does have the resources to fix all this.. BUT seems all we ever get is lip service promises!
Stay the course Almen!  
I get it, nobody wants to lose their investments in San Carlos. Especially the folks who have CHOSEN TO OPEN A BUSINESS. But we all knew when we MOVED HERE and purchased that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AT any time!!!

Non of this is new! Things have just gotten WORSE AND THAT'S A FACT!
The golf course doent seem to  be improving either!

Last edited on Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:59 pm by dolphin007

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
dorados

Mana: 
I don't have a dog in this fight but I think a couple points need to be made.
l.) While I know absolutely nothing about water aerification I do know that I have played golf all over Mexico and have only been grossed out by the raw sewage smell in one place. San Carlos
2.)If you think a visitor experience is enhanced by playing the San Carlos club in its recent state you haven't been listening. Most visitors I have talked to think it is extremely overpriced and in poor shape. Go play Loreto Bay. Similar area, similar greens fees and a nice experience.
3.) If you think buying a lot or house on the golf course and having the same people who sold you the Golf Course lot or house do a subdivision between your property and the golf course is good for San Carlos growth and confidence you look at things differently than I do.
I think someone is hurting our San Carlos tourism and confidence in local real estate investment but I think it is the same people who left us with those beautiful San Carlos Golf Towers and the subdivision of the 11th fairway, not that crazy German

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
To be clear, I live in Solimar, so what happens there affects me too.
l have not smelt the stink yet, so perhaps this is an slight exaggeration, or perhaps I have been lucky as I have not left all year.
Third, the party responsible for stinky water is the CEA as they are the suppliers. So if you or Aleman  have a problem you should take action and file complaint. But understand that when there is a surge in tourists in SC the water going to the plant will increase and so will the stink as it spends less time being aereated in the same number ponds. This is a problem at all tourist locations, such as is the case in Ventura and Santa Barbara California.
Lastley, we all have property rights, but the last time I checked my rights end at my property line and my neighbors can do anything they want on their side of the line as as long as the zoning laws and city regulations are not broken. I may not like someone changing my view but my only recourse is to again file a complaint  with the proper authority, and not try to scare the locals with loose talk of diseases without the facts to back up their claims that could affect our mutual propert values.
The people that live on the golf course, and in other neighborhoods in SC have had to sell at a loss, I get that, but this has been the case for years, not months.

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2018 11:49 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2018 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

Well, Bull, San Carlos isn't Cali...Thank God...most folks here couldn't afford to live there (ie Santa Barbara,Ventura, or anywhere else along the Cali Coast)...I suppose that's why you and all the others have decided to live here in an Ocean side town in Mexico, a foreign Country... because it is affordable...Especially you who is living in the Low rent area Solimar (my guess is that you are a renter..si or no?)...How dare you insult the folks who paid their hard earned retirement money to live in the area of the Country Club, on the Golf Course, and tell them that they have to expect to sell their precious property at a loss!! Only an uncaring callous Brute with no vested interest would suggest such a thing!!!

Oh Jimmy

Last edited on Thu Dec 20th, 2018 02:28 am by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2018 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Aleman69

Mana: 

Good Morning

The Laboratory in Guaymas was not able to Test the Water. I been advised to use the CIAD Laboratory in Hermosillo. This Laboratory is run by the Mexican Government and will do the testing for E-coli, Giardia and Fescalis. The Laboratory will reopen the first week in January 2019. 

Play safe, Merry Chrismas

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2018 07:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Jimmy, Thanks for saying what others wish they could say. I know you have no ill feelings towards SC. You have been around as long as many other long timers.

Maybe Hermosillo wouldn't be the best place to test that water. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY CEA couldn't do it?? Or WOULDNT DO IT?? Remember the Alcohol checkpoint Post????? 20 bucks will buy you right out of a drunk driving arrest!
Maybe have someone take it up to the states? OMG! That would be scary results!
Can we all agree at some point, ones health has to become more important than MONEY at some point!

With all due respect to the folks that have sold every single thing they own to come to live in Paradise.
We live in a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY and unless you're very wealthy ( which I'm not ) It's clear by looking around, this government doesn't appear to care about the health and safety of its own people let alone us....When ya break it all down all these subjects just keep being talked about yet nothing gets better. There are many that are now in a financial situation that they cant leave... Sad but true!

No need to compare the USA to Mexico, that's just a smoke screen! ANYWAY, YOU LOOK AT IT, YOUR STILL comparing apples to Oranges! That just cracks me up when I hear people say that..
HEY, MAYBE YOUR WATER TEST WILL COME BACK GREAT?? I'll BE THE FIRST TO APOLOGIZE AND TAKE BACK EVERY WORD. I hope in this lifetime I'm proven wrong. Just an Opinion.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
jimw

Mana: 

Untreated water for irrigation of golf course. Good for the grass but bad for the golfers?
 Let's see. For the water to be contaminated it would mean that there are sick people living in the at the golf course community that are infecting the water. I am not aware of a large number of ill people there. If one or two people are carriers of of pathogenic ecoli (not all ecoli cause disease) then their contribution to the volume of water in the settling ponds would be quiet small. There is a further dilution when the pond water is spread on the area of the golf course. I would say that the amount of disease causing bacteria that you are exposed to at the golf course would be no greater than that found in other areas of San Carlos. 
 Washing you hands, eating well cooked food, having a good immune system all help in protecting you from getting sick. 
 The fact that there are  thriving water purification businesses in San Carlos infers that that the community water piped into our homes is contaminated. 
 Please, the sky is not falling.  Having "contaminated water"  on the golf course is not a hazard. 

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2018 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Aleman69

Mana: 
The biological composition of recycled water is of concern because of potential presence of pathogenic bacteria and viruses.  Properly operated secondary and advanced treatment plants can reduce pathogen concentrations significantly. (Asano, et al., 1984). However, it is difficult to insure complete, continuous elimination of pathogens, and the potential for disease transmission through reuse of treated effluent water, although highly improbable, remains a concern. Although some risk of human exposure to pathogens exists in almost every  waste-water reclamation operation, the health concern in each situation is proportional to the degree of human contact with the water, and the adequacy and reliability of the waste-water treatment processes. Effluent waters are not generally released for irrigation without prior approval of public health authorities. Regulations concerning the use of recycled water vary among countries and localities.  A basic objective of these regulations is assuring human health protection without unnecessarily discouraging wastewater reclamation; the degree of treatment required increases with the likelihood of human exposure to the wastewater. Therefore, most regulations specify different reuse standards for wastewater irrigation, impoundments, and groundwater recharge. They also differentiate between types of landscape irrigation based on public access to the use area and thus expected public exposure to the recycled water. Wastewater that has received secondary treatment and been disinfected to a level of 23 total coliforms per 100 mL, for example, may contain both bacterial and viral pathogens, so direct contact with the water should be avoided. 
However, assuming that irrigation occurs during periods when the public is excluded from the use area, and that there is sufficient time for the grounds to dry before use, direct contact with the recycled water is avoided.  Health risks may then arise from indirect contact only – with grass, shrubs, and objects that have been previously wetted with recycled water. Even such indirect contact is relatively infrequent in places like golf courses, freeway landscapes, and cemeteries, and probably does not warrant the expense of requiring recycled irrigation water used in these areas to be free of all infectious organisms.  On the other hand, parks, playgrounds, schoolyards, and similar areas are more intensively used, and children may be especially susceptible to some of the pathogens typically found in sewage. Therefore, the quality and treatment requirements for this type of landscape irrigation are identical to those required for the spray irrigation of food crops. The possibility of disease transmission, by aerosols or wind-blown spray from landscape irrigation, although slight, must also be considered, because of the proliferation of reuse projects in urban settings or adjacent to populated areas. The degree of potential hazard depends on several factors, including degree of wastewater treatment, extent of aerosol or water-droplet travel, proximity to populated areas or areas accessible to the public, prevailing climatic conditions, and design of the irrigation system. 

IRRIGATING TURFGRASS AND LANDSCAPE PLANTS WITH MUNICIPAL RECYCLED WATER   M. A. Harivandi University of California Cooperative Extension 1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, Suite 131 Alameda, CA. 94502 U. S. A. 

Last edited on Wed Dec 26th, 2018 05:17 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Wed Dec 26th, 2018 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Aleman
Pretty obvious you did not write this lengthy scientific discussion nor did you cite your source. Therefore it is a copyright violation and will be deleted unless you add the source NLT tomorrow.

To all: Please do not copy the work of others and post it here without giving the appropriate reference and credit. That violates our terms of use policy

Footnote: The source was provided and included  

Last edited on Wed Dec 26th, 2018 05:20 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Wed Dec 26th, 2018 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
How'd you know Bart?.....
oh ya every word is spelled correctly and there are complete sentences.

Posted: Wed Dec 26th, 2018 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
jimw

Mana: 

Aleman, I agree with your article since it talks about "potential" and "pathogens". I would still claim that there would be more pathogens blowing in the wind and settling on the golf course than from the sewage water from a healthy population. The sun, wind- open air, will kill many pathogens (e-coli according to wikipedia will not survive on counter tops for more than 15 minutes).Our immune systems are able to handle small amounts pathogens.

I am not sure what a sample of the water will conclude. Of course it will have bacteria and spores and even if they are pathogenic you cannot know for how long they will survive once exposed to the air and sun. Also the same spores may have blown in into the water from somewhere else.

However,this water, aesthetically has a yuk factor, but to me it poses no threat. We live in the desert and need to be innovative in the use of our water.

Think of it as recycled water the grass will thrive and the risk to golfers is overstated.

Actually,  the harm from herbicides and insecticides on golf courses in general much greater for golfers and those living close to the fairways. I see now that glyphosate (Roundup)- a very common herbicide, is now being banned in some areas for it's potential bad effect on humans.

Maybe the owner of the golf course can find another use for the land. Any ideas?

Posted: Wed Dec 26th, 2018 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
jimw

Mana: 
Copied from the above article: "However, assuming that irrigation occurs during periods when the public is excluded from the use area, and that there is sufficient time for the grounds to dry before use, direct contact with the recycled water is avoided.  Health risks may then arise from indirect contact only – with grass, shrubs, and objects that have been previously wetted with recycled water. Even such indirect contact is relatively infrequent in places like golf courses, freeway landscapes, and cemeteries, and probably does not warrant the expense of requiring recycled irrigation water used in these areas to be free of all infectious organisms."

So, according to the above [size=author it  should be ok to use this water.]

Posted: Fri Dec 28th, 2018 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The town is growing, and so will the stink at the reycle ponds if more are not built to handle increased flows, especifically on weekends, now that a lot more water is being stored during the week at each home in cisterns. Unforunately, a small town water system collecting $20 a month from some of the few residents here never going to fund this, so either land taxes, development taxes, or monthly water rates along with a sewage charge is the only way of keeping up with this unless people start drilling their own wells to protect their property investments. But golf courses are doomed I am afraid so it is unfortunate that the people around the CC will soon loose this green area and that lot prices there will go down making building there more attractive.

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2019 09:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Righton

Mana: 
When will the water test be done?

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Righton

Mana: 
Sounds like the water to be tested in Hermosillo has been there for some time and hasn't been tested. Guess they gave up on the test.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Aleman69

Mana: 
No sprinklers running for a week now

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2019 03:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, I've stopped watering too, after the last rains.

Posted: Thu Jan 17th, 2019 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Righton

Mana: 
Aleman, they have been watering the course so maybe you can now get a sample to be tested.

Posted: Tue Jan 22nd, 2019 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Aleman69

Mana: 
Sorry was out of town , going next week to Hermosillo to bring the Water sample to CIAD Laboratory. 

I apologize to the person i affended bye not writing perfect english, sorry it is my third Language. 

Posted: Sun Feb 3rd, 2019 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Righton

Mana: 
Sounds like the water testing is not going to happen. I understood it was to bee done the first week of JAN. And here it's the first week of Feb. and they have been watering the course.

Current time is 03:32 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Hygiene on the Golf Course Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems