San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Paying Duty on items brought down

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Poll
Do you self-declare "new items" at the border?

View Results

Vote
Paying Duty on items brought down  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2018 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steverhnm

Mana: 
I am heading down soon and will have a few things for my boat and a Blink alarm system for a friends house.  I was curious what the present feeling is about self-declaring vs rolling the dice.  As any good boat owner does I bring a ton of crap down to work on my boat that comes back with me.  But there are always parts for the boat.  Some are things I have brought back and repaired, some small, some noticeable such as 30 ft of 5/8 inch rubber hose (hot water system) and some engine hoses as well.  I have receipts for the hoses and the Blink System, but not much else.  It's all small stuff. Not something like a radar or autopilot system.  Would you declare those if you did have them?

I have unpacked/unpackaged everything so it is obvious it is not for resale.  I have copies of my TIP and all my other boat papers with me each time.

1.  If I self-delcare the hoses and camera system (apprx $350 value total), will they search the rest of my vehicle?
2.  How ugly will it be if I declare and they search and find the hoses and Blink system?
3.  If I don't declare and I get a red light and they find stuff they decide requires duty, how bad can it get?

I am looking for practical advice mostly, what types of experiences have people had in this type of situation.  I feel like I am rolling the dice every time.  I am fundamentally an honest person so it bugs the heck out of me when I do this but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either.  I would prefer to declare (I have never done that- I assume that is the "auto-declare" line?) the hoses/alarm system and pay the duty, but I don't want to have to go through a day of explaining my parts either and paying for things I should not have to.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks for your input.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2018 10:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Steverhnm

Mana: 
Viewed 69 times and only 3 people answered the survey??? It is anonymous. Nobody will know your answers - nobody cares who answered what or why. It could be a very interesting social conscience poll. Can't believe none of the regulars have commented or responded to the poll.

I hope a few others change their mind and answer the poll at least.

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2018 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
390pony

Mana: 
Go through the checkpoint at Mariposa, not KM21. Much less chance of getting a red light.

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2018 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
There is no checkpoint at KM21. Hasn't been for a long time. Please clarify.

Last edited on Sat Dec 8th, 2018 11:39 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2018 11:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
390pony

Mana: 
The checkpoint on the road before KM21, the one you have to go through if you don't turn right at Mariposa and go through Nogales.

Last edited on Sat Dec 8th, 2018 11:58 pm by 390pony

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 11:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
danelo

Mana: 
I would not be, or am I, concerned about declaring every little thing. It seems, to me, that the aduanna is only concerned about big ticket items. New large TVs, boat engines, new washers and dryers,new refrigerators, etc... Plus, there is a certain amount that is excluding from being taxed. Always seems to change but I have always heard $300USD then up to $500USD around Christmas.

I always bring all types of new items down when I go to Guaymas, generally $200USD to $400USD worth of goods. I don't hide anything or even remove it from the box. I get red lighted substantially more than most. I must look like a trouble maker, and I have never had an issue.

Last edited on Sun Dec 9th, 2018 11:51 am by danelo

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 12:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Given the choice, I would rather deal with Mexican officials at the boarder, as opposed to their American counterparts.

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RichD

Mana: 
If you go into the aduana office on the right as you cross the border you can take in your receipts and they will give you a form stating you paid. If you get a red light at the aduana past the (now closed) toll booth you just show the form and you will be fine. There is no longer an aduana stop at km21. This assumes you are not laoded down with stuff. People try to smuggle cases of expensive wine for example and that is a problem.

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Johnmoore: I completely agree with you. I never have trouble with Aduana because I treat them with respect and a smile. Some American customs people can be very officious. If I am getting an attitude from an American customs person, I simple request that a supervisor be present before an inspection. It is your right!!! They must comply. 

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Limey

Mana: 
Do the right thing... Christmas time has an increase in allowed amounts of "Personal Items" . if you are under the 300-500 limit, not to worry.. If you are over, stop and self declare. if you don't, and they stop you ..you pay the overege plus a penalty ( about half the undeclared value)...Smuggling anything is a crime. Do the right thing.

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2018 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Steverhnm

Mana: 
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It gives me some perspective which helps. I have no problems paying the duty on a very large item - I know that sounds counter-intuitive - but it makes sense to me. The value I typically bring down is $300-400 USD. Minor stuff. I think I am right about the norm in my feelings toward declaration. I too agree I would rather deal with the Mexican officials - as several time I have been hassled rudely by the US custom folks. Never by Aduana.

Posted: Mon Dec 10th, 2018 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
THE FINE FOR SMUGGLING IS 7X THE VALUE OF THE MERCHANDISE, THE ITEM IN QUESTION, AND THEY CAN IMPOUND YOUR VEHICLE.
Excuse the caps, I do not want to sound extreme, but that is the law.

So, If you are bringing something for a friend, declare it and he will pay the iva on that item, when and if other the personal items you import total more than $300 per person in your vehicle.

Kind of dumb in my opinion to risk anything of yours when doing a favor for free for someone else.

Posted: Tue Dec 11th, 2018 03:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Unless you are bringing in electronics, they really do not seem to care. They are looking for the people that bring in items for resale. I usually pack my small items into my suitcase, and don't worry about it. If I have a carload of items, and there are electronics, then declare.....

Posted: Tue Dec 11th, 2018 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
When Aduana stops me, without comment I automatically unlock and open the back of my camper without asking. That is my way of indicating that I am willing to obey the rules. They might ask about guns and drugs (rare) but they will always take a quick look into the camper without going inside. My observation is that most of the inspectors are a bit lazy and don't want to work very hard. The lady inspectors are more serious and thorough. But, for me, it has always been a pleasant experience. When I leave the inspection, I always wish them a good day.

Posted: Tue Dec 11th, 2018 06:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Your "stuff" can be handled with your garage sale prices. Why worry about it? Do your own sheet. If you have receipts from Walmart, Costo, Home Depot, number your receipts, Jot that number down on a line on a sheet of paper, write a description in Spanish, #1 Albertsons, (abarrotes/comida) and enter the price less tax on the end of the line. The next line down will be the same in English, Albertsons, (groceries/food). #2 Ace Hardware, (herramientas para casa) with cost less tax, Ace Hardware, (hand tools). #3 Walmart (55" Samsung television, On and on. Why not pay your 16%, have piece of mind and go. You're allowed more during Christmas season. Not certain today on fines/penalties, but they were possibly two and one half times their stated price fine and then when you paid is was still up for confiscation. Depending severity (and attitude), maybe your vehicle.  Bullshipper says 7 times. Pay a few bucks honestly, get your stamp and go. Most take cards right now through your bank right there with the Federal/Aduana you are dealing with. No running back and forth to Banjercito unless you are paying in cash. Enjoy, Ron

Posted: Wed Dec 12th, 2018 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Becki

Mana: 
We have almost always declared (always after a few years of not declaring...we wanted to go by their rules) it used to be $75 per vehicles, so there was lots to declare. When we moved back, I saw that it is now $300 per vehicle..but also read on a govt site that groceries are not taxed. That makes a huge difference for us as we rarely go over $300 when you don’t have to count the groceries in. I’ll see if I can find that

Posted: Wed Dec 12th, 2018 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
It’s $300 per person.

Posted: Wed Dec 12th, 2018 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Does anyone know if the legal limit on wine is still 6 liters per person (which is actually 9 bottles @ 750ml per)?

Current time is 07:44 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Paying Duty on items brought down Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems