San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 4th, 2018 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Baja Sixer

Mana: 
Hola, seeking recommendations for things to see and places to explore in the area.
This will be our first time to San Carlos, we are staying for a week.
Restaurant recommendations also sought! Thank you in advance for any info you can provide. :cool:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 

When are you coming? Will you have a car?

I think the single, best source for things to do in San Carlos is the weekly What's Up San Carlos newsletter. It is an amazingly thorough and informative description of what's going on in San Carlos, from week to week. Even descriptions of the music at the restaurants, from night to night.

Google it. They accept advertising, so their business descriptions, especially restaurants, are not impartial. 

But my favorites are Colibri for relatively upscale dining (the filet mignon is excellent and great gourmet pizzas) and Hammerheads for a combo of good American classics and Mexican food. I also like Hammerhead's for happy hour as they make a great margarita and also have cheap beer.

I also like the food at Club de Capitanes near the Marinaterra Hotel. Really good pozole and clam chowder, as well as wood fired pizzas. People rave about the ribs there, too, as I recall. A Mexican dark ale on tap for cheap.

For Mexican lunches or dinners, I like Tequila's. Gonna try Maria's real soon, too. 

Best taco stands for me are Tacos Sarita (barbacoa) and Luis El Nar (for the birria!). I haven't tried Tony's latest incarnation and dont know if his wife is still cooking;  she had the best birria in town, IMO. I dont like Don Lalos, which seems to be popular at night with the locals.

For breakfast I like Rosa's Cantina, Maria's and the little cocina economica near the circle that leads to the country club entrance. El Mar is also good and has a great view from their dining area. Ocean front.

Best seafood is probably out at La Manga, which is an experience in itself, as you eat on a bluff overlooking the ocean and a small fishing village. I think it is called Dona Marias. You will need to ask for directions in town. It's gotten pricy in the last few years, so there are better, cheaper options in Guaymas and farther south, but no one has that view. 

Maybe the best deal in town is the Wednesday night, all you can eat Italian night, out at Joey's in the San Carlos Plaza Hotel. You get your choice of ravioli, lasagna, and five types of pasta with four types of sauces. Except for the lasagna, each is made to order and brought to you from the kitchen on a plate. NOT BUFFET STYLE!!! 140 pesos per person INCLUDING A GLASS OF RED OR WHITE WINE. If you want to have a few different pastas, go easy on the lasagna, as it is very meaty and filling. Very elegant setting. 

There are other restaurants that are very popular. Delfines (which actually has a teppan room for 6-10, as well as conventional seating), Tortugas, Iguanas, La Palapa Griega (Greek and seafood RIGHT ON THE BEACH), Los Arbolitos (great seafood variety with an ocean view). 

Seriously, San Carlos has an incredible amount of restaurants, for the population. But it is a tourist town, so I guess it's not surprising.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 01:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Visit http://www.sancarlosmexico.com for more information.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Baja Sixer

Mana: 
Thx for the info! We are driving to San Carlos and will arrive on January 17.
Looking forward to a great visit.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
Excellent recommendations for restaurants, Wednesday at La Palapa 5:00 Mark Mulligan sings and plays guitar always fun, visit the overlook called La Mirador, go horseback riding on the beach or up a beautiful canyon, there are 20+ charter boats waiting to take you deep sea fishing, Gary's offers an educational eco tour of the harbor, Hattie Annie boat offers a great sunset curse with strong marguerites, go kayaking in Pelican Cove, visit the old central market in Guaymas also see the fleet of shrimp boats, take beach walks, go shopping, be lazy, eat, drink and be merry.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
We get there every other month or so and our week will include much of what the previous posters mentioned:
- A day at Soggy Peso on the beach. Try the Shrimp Quesadilla.
- At least a few trips to the Sarasito's taco stand for tacos and coronas
- A day out with Fernando fishing of Catch 22
- A day snorkeling. If you can get to Martini Cove, it is pretty.
- Hammerheads for happy hour
- Climb the goat tits.
- For night life / Sports Bar there is Iguanas.
- Golf at the country club. (Kind of rough, but still fun)
We always have to set aside dome time for maintenance on our home especially since the last storm season. lol

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
I would add to the restaurant list the best quiche ever at Barracuda Bob's at the San Carlos Marina.  They also serve the best eggs benedict on weekend.  Lots of great pastries too.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 09:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Baja Sixer

Mana: 
Good thing we’re bringing our bikes!!! Looks like there are many eating and adult beverage options in San Carlos! 😎
Thx again for all the recommendation, we do prefer to ask locals for recommendations. 👍🏽

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Sooo nice to set outside Barracuda Bob's at the San Carlos Marina with some Fine coffee and Fine food and watch the poor boaters at the ramp....

Put the boat in the water.....
won't start...
work on the boat...
still won't start...
pull the boat out and take it home.....

Last edited on Wed Dec 5th, 2018 09:28 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
By far and away the best thing to do in SC is get out on the ocean. 2nd place isn't in the same zip code.

Posted: Sun Dec 16th, 2018 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
My favorite Carne Asada tacos are at Don Lalo's. He's on the right as you head towards the marina and almost directly across the road from the El Mar/Palapa Griega entrance. He only opens at night and stays open late. Well worth the $25.00 MXN for a great taco! No hay cerveza. ¡Buen provecho!

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2018 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
maryt

Mana: 
I like El Mar restaurant for breakfast. I have had good lunches there too. Beautiful view, reasonable prices and I love the shrimp omelet or Eggs Benedict.

Embarcadero restaurant has 3 tacos arrachera that are super delicious.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
Charley's Rock is a great place to pass some time and watch the waves.  Molcajete' frio is on my list for every visit.  If you're headed towards La Manga, a stop at the Peso is warranted, another on my list for every trip.  Blackie's used to have some pretty great steak and prime rib, but I've not been there for a while.  Don't forget about Thrifty for some ice cream for dessert after all that eating.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 06:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
For take out I highly recommend Pollo López on Beltrones (main drag through San Carlos) on the ocean side of the street just past Rescate as you head towards to Marina. It’s small, no seating, orange facade. They sell the most delicious fresh whole rotisserie chicken (they chop it up for you) that comes with potatoes, onions, jalapeños, tortillas and salsa for about $7US. Pro Tip: ask for extra potatoes! 

Last edited on Tue Dec 18th, 2018 01:59 pm by MountainbikeVH

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
MountainbikeVH wrote: For take out I highly recommend Feliz Pollo on Beltrones (main drag through San Carlos) on the ocean side of the street just past Rescate as you head towards to Marina. It’s small, no seating, orange facade. They sell the most delicious fresh whole rotisserie chicken (they chop it up for you) that comes with potatoes, onions, jalapeños, tortillas and salsa for about $7US. Pro Tip: ask for extra potatoes! 

I think you are talking about Pollo Lopez. I believe Pollo Feliz is now closed, and we are awaiting the opening of Mazateno in its place.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
Hook - woops you’re absolutely right, I have edited the name to Pollo Lopez. Thanks.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I have always got a chuckle out of the name "Pollo Feliz"....El Pollo NO ES Feliz....La gente esta feliz...hahaha

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RichD

Mana: 
So there are good places to eat here. Chances are there are good places to eat where you live. I agree with JZ on this one, get out on the water and enjoy this beautiful coastline. Explore Guaymas a little, a bustling commercial seaport. Rent an ATV and explore the desert. The natural beauty here is what keeps people coming back. Please post your experience after your trip for other first timers.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I much preferred Pollo Feliz, I find Pollo Lopez to be very greasy and unappetizing.

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
The 2 main things that the local gringos do in San Carlos is.....Eat and Drink...Now that the Sea of Cortez is getting fished out they don't fish that much anymore.....
San Carlos used to be a small Drinking Village with a Fishing Problem.....Now not so much Fishing....
Newbies will want to get out and see the sights..Nacapule Canyon..the Ocean..etc...But after they have seen all the sights then all that is left to them is Drinking and Eating...

Oh I forgot....And Helping the Stray Dogs...

Last edited on Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:39 pm by Jimmy

Current time is 11:02 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems