San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
390pony

Mana: 
Go diving!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
If ya don't mind the trek, visiting the BEAUTIFUL WHITE SAND BEACHES in La Munga. The food out there as well, Very good and inexpensive. A small fishing village that is supported greatly by gringos. Nonetheless, AWESOME folks live out there and its a great cultural experience!TRUELY BEAUTIFUL WHITE """""CLEAN""""" BEACHES.
DIVING IS STILL BIG IN SC! :o)
But I agree with Jimmy, San Carlos is practically fished out. if ya don't mind having to go 25 miles out. Quads, Horseback riding, the waterfalls as already stated. I would agree with sightseeing in Guaymas ( Not outside those parameters, especially after dark!sAN CARLOS IS PRETTY MUCH A EAT'N AND DRINKIN TOWN..San Carlosmis more of a quiet retirement town, NOT BIG for the very young 21-40 group!. THERE ARE SOME GREAT RESTAURANTS!
ENJOY!

Posted: Tue Dec 18th, 2018 11:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
The fishing has been good. Some good yellowtail are being caught and there are still lots of bonita. I run some charter boats and can take you out. There are lots of birds in the Estuary right now. I also rent out kayaks and paddleboards. Hike the Tetekawi or Nacapule. Pickleball is popular.

Bryan 
Repsilon@aol.com 

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I think that most will disagree with Jimmy and Dolphin about the winter fishing. The bonita are good eating and have almost been a nuisance. It was the best run ever, less 40 years ago when people that don't know how to catch fish (and maybe still have that problem) could catch a few. We've had phenomenal fishing throughout the year at times, once again. .. if you know what you  are doing. 25 miles out? That's a good area in summer. We haven't needed to go to the Island or up the coast much yet (@16mi.) and have usually been within a mile of shore, and even the harbor. There have been some great yellowtail catches lately, and some of the fish have been to 20#. Oh Jimmy.

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Thats why the Fishing Bd is Hopping with Excitement.....Sometimes it goes weeks without a post....I guess the Great Fishing is being kept a Secret??? 

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2018 12:48 am by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Jimmy, are you here? You just heard from an expert, why not accept it? By the way many guys are saying the same thing.

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
dorados

Mana: 
Been fishing down here for about 17 years.  Have never seen a Bonita bite last this long.  Also seems to be lots of smaller yellowtail.  Fished the bottom today within 1 mile of Doble and caught dinner for the next week or so. And I am one of the guys Bryan is talking about that doesn't know how to fish. 

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
First step is to have a line in the water!

There was an invasion of small yellowtail late Spring. There have been some larger fish around at times. 

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Baja Sixer

Mana: 
Guaymas is in the free zone correct? I was thinking of getting a vehicle permit just in case we decide to explore east of Hermosillo 

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
You can get a car permit once you're here by going to the office south of Empalme. The place is practically deserted and it was easy to do. Look for the modular buildings on the right beneath the giant towers. Huge parking and bathroom facility with around 3 people working there. 2 are the ones that will get you your permit.

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Eating and drinking as the main gringo past time is not entirely accurate. There is a large (50-60 anglos) who volunteer to oversee the turtle hatchings this year under the guidance of a really great Mexican scientist. Some of the local schools would LOVE to have volunteer teachers run English language programs. ANY effort that would connect the Mexican culture with the Anglo culture is very productive and rewarding. If an Anglo is down here just to eat and drink, he/she is missing out on a great way of life !!!! We anglos have much to learn from being involved in the Mexican culture.

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2018 01:54 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Why East of Hermosillo (maybe the Rio Sonora route)? Go south to Alamos and Fuente at the entrance to the Copper Canyon.

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I stand Corrected....Fishing is Great..Better than it has ever been...The speculation that the Sea of Cortez was Fished Out was premature. Still, not much said about the Fantastic Fishing is showing up on the Fishing Forum? Is it being kept a Secret?? 

I do not spend as much time in SC now due to The loss of a couple of dear Mexican Family members and the money sucking of some of the rest of them. That has caused in me a loss of love for SC. I usually just visit in Guaymas and other parts of Sonora now...
Sincerely,
Oh Jimmy

Last edited on Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:06 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
"If an Anglo is down here just to eat and drink, he/she is missing out on a great way of life !!!! We anglos have much to learn from being involved in the Mexican culture"

I totally agree. The best advice we got when we first came here was from Guaymas Mary who told us to go the the Soriana at Calle Diez (10), park in the underground parking lot, then walk a block or two away from the main drag. Take a left on any street and walk to Tres Presidentes Plaza through the the "heart" of Guaymas. Say buenos dias to everyone you meet and be amazed at the responses. People will be a little surprised to see you, but I've never had a bad reply from a smile and a buenos dias. Then cross Serdan and come back on the other side.

My joke I like to tell to my friends is; San Carlos is great and if you want to see Mexico, it's only 10 miles away!

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I'm sure it was insane in the 60's! The bottomfishing and fishing for select species has been severely impacted. Tecology, shared information, and gringo knowledge has improved though. I just don't think I was that 'out of it' as a kid. The fishing, less for dorado and bottomfish, seems like it just keeps getting better often. It just isn't fair to hang your hat up and go complain about talk about a few good past catches when we are bringing back even better catches all the time. Not many reports? Some of the guys aren't here, or are complacent now, share info. between their few friends, use Facebook, post a weekly report somewhere else and don't want to start an advertising war ;), know that their photos can't compare to others, or feel we don't need to try to convince others that the fishing is good.

Posted: Wed Dec 19th, 2018 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
I have been fishing here in SC since the late 70's and I think we catch more fish now than back then. Our technique has certainly changed, but I have been out nearly a dozen times this year and have killed it. We have had several times jigging for YT when we have had triple hook ups. Find the dorado and that is a treat as well. Do not pass up the opportunity to get out with any of the incredible fishing guides.

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2018 01:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Baja Sixer

Mana: 
The reason we might go east of Hermosillo is we used to visit La Colorada and Las Prietas when I was young, haven’t been there since 1984. 
I’ve seen pics of the large Canadian pit mines and would like to see what the town looks like today.

Last edited on Thu Dec 20th, 2018 01:55 am by Baja Sixer

Current time is 08:20 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > San Carlos recommendations for 1st timers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems