San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Need an automobile window? My search......with lunch thrown in.

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Need an automobile window? My search......with lunch thrown in.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2018 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
I did need some glass, as per my post about my wife returning from a walk on SF beach and finding a back, side window shattered.

There were three auto glass businesses listed in Guaymas. One, Vidrios y Marcos, I could not find. Supposedly on 10th. I only searched south of Serdan.

One was Vitrocar. Very clean facility on 10th. Lots of office employees at counters, in offices. Displays a sign saying they are an official site for Qualitas insurance. After about 10 minutes of researching my type of window (2009 Toyota Highlander) and calling around, they announced the glass and installation was 3000 pesos and the window would be here in a week. They wanted half up front. Reasonable terms and price, I thought, but that wait was more than I wanted.

The final shop was Cristalauto on Garcia Lopez, virtually right across the street from the seafood place, El Dugout. Very basic looking Mexican shop with a small office off it. I had been here before to replace a Wrangler front window and they were reasonable. I had a quote in 2-3 minutes after inspecting the car (I had removed the door panel and cleaned all the glass pieces out of the frame, the retracting arm and the bottom of the door;  THAT probably took about two hours!). 3200 pesos BUT.........it would be here the following morning at 0930 and would, supposedly, be the same level of tint.

And the deposit? Whatever I wanted to leave, according to the senora in the office, who had a beautiful floral arrangement behind her. It was her birthday, but she was old enough that I didnt ask "cuantos anos, senora?" Anyway, I left 500 pesos and she printed me out a receipt for it. I also asked here to CALL ME on the phone when the glass gets in. A bit of a test to see how diligent her customer service is and how accurate her estimate is. I have learned not to expect schedules to be adhered to closely in Mexico and I dont drive into Guaymas unnecessarily.

So, stay tuned. I go back tomorrow....................or so they say.

Lunch at Dugout two days in a row???? Probably not. Ostiones were good, but the coctel de camarones was about the most lacking in tomato, onion and cilantro that I have ever had. Very watery........but a decent amount of shrimp;  none of which could be considered even mediano in size. The ostiones empanizado are still the bomb, though.

Last edited on Tue Nov 20th, 2018 10:17 pm by Hook

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Nov 22nd, 2018 01:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 

Well, it never quite goes as planned in Mexico.........but it usually does end up happening.

My desire to test due diligence and accuracy was successful. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a fail on both accounts. 

I waited until 10:30 for the promised phone call that the window had arrived at the shop at 0930. Finally, I decided to call and find out; expecting the senora to simply say, "Si, si, ┬┐que estas esperando?!" Instead, the phone just rang and rang......

Well, after several days of riding around without the security and dust deflection of a window (in the Ranchitos, mind you!), I decide I am driving in ANYWAY.  I pull into a parking spot out front, head for the office door........and find it locked and dark. 

WTF!!!! Don't I live by the motto that you don't drive into Guaymas, unnecessarily?

Immediately, a guy in the work bay approaches me. I explain in broken Spanish that I have a "cita, esta manana". He explains that the senora has been partying since yesterday because, indeed, it is her birthday (yesterday or today? I guess it doesn't matter). But he is ready to perform the work AFTER we find the replacement window.

We pull it out and it's an exact match, including the tint. Safety glass, Made in USA. Que bueno!

The supposed half hour install takes twice that, but it is done professionally and correctly. 
However........

The installer can't take any money. He is just The Installer, after all. The segmented roles in a Mexican business is ever present. And only one person can take the money. Even the Mexican government doesn't trust their employees to take money. They send you to Banjercito.

So, he calls the senora who will be here "ahorita!" She is simply partying close by.........presumably, since AT LEAST 0930am. 

Now, "ahorita" might be the most ambiguous word that Mexicans use. While us gringos think it means something like immediately, it SEEMS to mean something like "with the next hour". Fortunately, she arrives in 15 minutes (dressed to the nines in tight jeans and spike heels!), takes my credit card, returns my 500 peso deposit......and I am on my way.

Ultimately, a typical, all's-well-as-ends-well, Mexican experience.

Cristalauto. 222-4600. Based on a calendar in the office, this is a chain in about ten cities in Mexico. No English spoken, near as I can tell.

Last edited on Thu Nov 22nd, 2018 01:22 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Nov 22nd, 2018 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Thanks for sharing the experience. I laughed out loud, recalling the number of times I've found myself in a similar situation.

Current time is 03:48 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Need an automobile window? My search......with lunch thrown in. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems