San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Driving from Phoenix to San Carol

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Driving from Phoenix to San Carol  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
michael3million

Mana: 
I am new to this forum and am going to drive from Phoenix to San carlos on hwy 15. 

I see there are travel warnings from USA Government. I also am told about kidnappings, corrupt police on the high way, and overall danger. Has anyone had any experience recently driving? I was planning to visit Nov 8 thru 12....Now I am not sure. 

Any thoughts??

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
RichD

Mana: 
I have never heard of a tourist having any problems on Hwy 15 during daylight hours. Cartel violence is real but they shoot each other or the people chasing them. Use common sense like you would traveling in Europe or anywhere else. Don't flash around money or expensive jewelry, stay on the main roads, don't have anything to do with people that sell drugs.

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I have driven that route many times in the last nine years, since moving to San Carlos.  If the many single women that live here are safe making the drive alone, you are too.

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Michael,

Totally understand your thoughts - back in 07 I was worried crossing into Baja with Wife and Daughter. ( First time ) 

10 years later I would not worry about either of them driving alone from SC to the US or vice a versa.

Truthfully if you travel in daylight it is now a very easy trip.  Your greatest attention needs to be on driving and watching out for other road users , even the chance of getting a shady cop stop you for a bribe is highly unlikely - if it happens be polite and insist they give you a ticket. Don't pay a bribe which is illegal . 

The reason you will hear everyone say daylight is not so much that bad guys come out at night but for safety on the road - at night there could be horse or cow you will not see , and most of the highway is not lit. Much harder to do at night especially first time - I have done it but knew the road well at the time so was a lot easier .

Come down and enjoy - weather right now is perfection !

Welcome to San Carlos :)

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
 My husband and I just drove the Tucson/San Carlos route on 15 in both directions in the
month of October, 2 weeks apart. We traveled during the daylight only for reasons stated above. Also note that as you are coming into Mexico on 15 only the first toll booth is legitimate and you must pay the proper toll in pesos. The second and third toll booths are closed but people will be standing there with safety vests and an unofficial bucket to collect whatever amount of money you will put in it.  Just drive slowly through with your windows up, no problem. That’s what we did. There were absolutely no events to speak of.  As you’re coming through Hermisillo things get a little tight with the lanes, three lanes going each way with no good lines on the road, just be alert for bad drivers. 

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
See the trip planning segment at http://www.sancarlosmexico.com for more information .

Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JZ

Mana: 
I've driven it many times at night, especially the leg of Hermosillo to SC.

It's not like driving at night in Baja, where there is no berm and no fence to keep cattle off the roads. I have literally never seen an animal on Hwy 15 in the last 15 years of driving it.

Last edited on Mon Nov 5th, 2018 11:52 pm by JZ

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
We trip to Tucson about each 3 months. The most terrible danger I see is oncoming "passers" in the 2 way construction areas. Those will soon be divided interstate again. If our State Dep't., CNN and other news scares you, you will never again go to Denver, much less Phoenix. The entire state of Sonora doesn't come close to Phoenix problems in my opinion. I would suggest that if you do "odds and percentages and probabilities" of Sonora vs. Phoenix, you may never return to Phoenix??? Come on down, bring your brain and common sense, wear a smile and enjoy one of the times of your life!  Ron

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
danelo

Mana: 
Sent you a Pm. I am in Phoenix and will be heading to San Carlos in a few days.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

Figure 3 hour drive from Phx to Nogales, and 5 hours from Nogales to San Carlos..Easy day drive. Start at 6 or 7 am and you will be in San Carlos by 4 to 5 including stops...Pack and load the car the day before...Save on last minute Stress. Be sure to have your Mexico auto insurance..I have used Don Smith Mexico insurance in Nogales for 40+ years but there are others, just my preference. Just have it before you cross into Mexico...
Buen Vieja

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 04:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Was stopped by Mexican cop in Hermosillo. I rapidly changed lane back to avoid to cut him off. We start conversation with shaking hands, chatted about 10 minutes. He asked why I don't have front license plates. I said never got it. Shook hands again and I continued driving. Watch for a cops for speeding right after Hermosillo.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 12:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
JCB

Mana: 

No one has mentioned it yet but in case you don't know, you must get a tourist permit for each person.  You can do this right at the border but it is easier to stop at K21 and do it there.   You first go to the small immigration building and fill out a form.  You will need a passport or a passport card.   They will ask you how long you will be staying and the options are less that 7 days or 6 months.  If you stay longer than 7 days, you will then go to the bank which in a adjoining building to pay the fee which was 533 pesos a couple of weeks ago.  You then go back to the first counter and they will stamp your passport and send you on your way.   Unless there is a crowd, the whole process takes 10-15 mins.  

The next issue is your car.   If you are going no further than SC, you do not need to get a car permit but be aware that without a permit, you MUST not travel east of Hwy 15 or south of SC.  If you do and get caught, they WILL impound your car.  If you plan to got south of SC or east of the highway, you can get a import permit for your car at the same time you get your tourist card.  Finally, if you do get a car permit, you MUST turn it in at K21 before it expires.  If you don't you will never be allowed to get another one.  The Mexicans are fairly causal about tourist cards but they are very serious about car permits.

One of the earlier posts noted that two of the toll booths are closed but you should be ready with pesos in the event that they are open.  The 1st toll you will come to will be 27 pesos and the second will be 79 pesos.  These do not accept dollars.   The first toll booth on the Mariposa road will be 61 pesos but they so accept dollars.  If you pay there with a $20 bill, the change will be in pesos and will be enough to cover the other two if needed.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
JZ wrote: I've driven it many times at night, especially the leg of Hermosillo to SC.

It's not like driving at night in Baja, where there is no berm and no fence to keep cattle off the roads. I have literally never seen an animal on Hwy 15 in the last 15 years of driving it.

My wife hit a cow about 9 years ago... between Hermosillo and San Carlos... I barely missed one just 4 months ago, north of Imuris. A real heart stopper. There is little time to react at 100 kmh with low beams engaged, (necessary for oncoming traffic). 

Of course, you are a tourist who comes down a couple times a year, so fewer opportunities to encounter something. Whereas we live here, travel for work in and out of country, and therefore make the drive far more often than you would do. So we see much more.

It's a sensible warning. Bad drivers and livestock are a heightened risk in the dark. First timers should drive it during the daylight. To suggest otherwise is offering unwise and unkind advice.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
You are 100% safe, just keep your eyes open and go the speed limit, it could be an 8 hour drive, do not drive at night that is the only precaution you need, fill your car up with gas in Nogales, AZ as gas in Mexico is $4.00 a gallon, also stock up on Pesos, no car permit is needed if you do not go South of San Carlos, buy Mexican car insurance, get your tourist visa at the border or 21 Kilometers down the road, stop often for real food, enjoy the drive.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
michael3million

Mana: 
Thank everyone!! you guys are fantastic!!

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
japasp

Mana: 
Although you may already know, in Nogales you can cross  downtown or Mariposa. We come from East Texas, spend the night in Nogales and cross at Mariposa. Never had a problem.

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Lots of good advice I think. For the first trip drive in Mexico during the day, then you can decide. It can be intimidating until you get familiar with the process. Days are short now, get an early start. Figure on 8 hours of driving from the South edge of Phoenix (Warner Rd for example) plus stops and border time. Be patient and enjoy the scenery. Have a great trip. Watch your speed through Hermosillo, 40 kmph is only 25Mph for example. Mex15 is four lane divided hiway but NOT limited access like an Interstate, beware of vehicles entering at unexpected places.

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
barato

Mana: 
if you do ever find yourself driving after dark, I've always thought that one option to reduce cow (and horse....not on MX15 but I dodged one in the middle of MX2 once) encounters would be to follow a Tufesa etc bus about 50 yards back....better to let them be the strong arm of Darwin than you......easier to dodge cuts of beef than the whole cow    

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
michael3million

Mana: 
Thank you all so much!!!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 07:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
JZ

Mana: 
odwyerpw wrote: My wife hit a cow about 9 years ago... between Hermosillo and San Carlos... I barely missed one just 4 months ago, north of Imuris. A real heart stopper. There is little time to react at 100 kmh with low beams engaged, (necessary for oncoming traffic). 

Of course, you are a tourist who comes down a couple times a year, so fewer opportunities to encounter something. Whereas we live here, travel for work in and out of country, and therefore make the drive far more often than you would do. So we see much more
It's a sensible warning. Bad drivers and livestock are a heightened risk in the dark. First timers should drive it during the daylight. To suggest otherwise is offering unwise and unkind advice.

I had a house in Vista Marina for 5 years.  Have driven HMO to SC a 100+ times.

Yeah, for a 1st drive of course don't do it at night.  But the general comment about driving from Hermosillo to SC at night not being safe is off.  Again, this isn't MX 1 in Baja.

Last edited on Thu Nov 8th, 2018 03:21 am by JZ

Current time is 03:42 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Driving from Phoenix to San Carol Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems