San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > TIP needed for a 5th wheel that stays within the "hassle free zone"

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TIP needed for a 5th wheel that stays within the "hassle free zone"  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2018 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
Is this needed for the RV trailer?  It is not needed for the tow vehicle, but  not sure about the trailer?  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2018 08:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Probably for trailer.

For example, if taking dirt bikes/atvs it is required for sure, even w/o a trailer.  You have to get it for the truck and then add on the other stuff you are bringing.

They use to flag you down at K21, but didn't do it the last couple times I went through.  They did ask me for the TIP once at the check point before Hermosillo after they stopped flagging down at K21.

Last edited on Thu Nov 1st, 2018 10:34 pm by JZ

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2018 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
I've been back and forth with my car, no TIP...but you are saying you need a TIP for a truck AND trailer, even in the "free zone"? I think I will walk across the border at Naco and ask as I always get pesos there before coming down.

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2018 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Yes the RV needs a TIP and so will the prime mover.

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2018 12:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Since it is a true RV, I believe you will get a single TIP. YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 10 year RV-TYPE TIP. Otherwise the RV must leave with your tow vehicle and that will be timed with the expiration of your immigration permit.

The RV type permit is only about 50.00 US for ten years.

You shouldn't need anything for the tow vehicle. As JZ mentioned above, they are USUALLY only written into the type of permit they use for utility trailers towing vehicles like motos or ATVs. But even that has been relaxed in the last few years.

The RV one is mandatory; hassle-free zone or not.

You can order it online and have it sent to your FOREIGN address, not to an address in Mexico.

If you choose not to go the online route, I would recommend bringing your title, as well as your registration, to Mexico. Yeah, I know, traveling with your title is a big no-no, but there have been cases where they insist on it. It's another reason why the online option is more desirable.

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2018 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JZ

Mana: 
I've gotten about 10 import permits. Takes like 30-45 mins at the boarder IF they aren't crowded.  Can do it online, MUCH easier, but half the time it doesn't seem to work.

Two of the permits were long term ones (10 years) for boats and the rest were 6 month permits (truck + bikes). Never been asked for a title. And they won't, because most ppl don't even have the titles, their banks do.

But they do require original registration docs. I had a color copy of my coast guard certificate of documentation that I didn't even realize was a copy. It was rejected and even a bribe didn't work.
Getting a TIP at the border you will need:

Passport
Copy of passport
Driver's license
Copy of Driver's license
Registration for all vehicles (truck, bikes, atvs, trailer)
Copy of registrations

Tourist visa
Copy of tourist visa

Online you just type in your passport# and the VINs.  No showing docs or making copies, or standing in line.  They send it to you using UPS.  Comes within like a week.

Last edited on Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 08:21 pm by JZ

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Btw, Chuck says RV, but he really means trailer.

If you look at the USLD diesel thread he has a truck pulling a 5th wheel. Not an actual RV pulling something else.

I don't know the exact answer, but I'm guessing 90% chance you need a tip in Sonora even if only going to SC. Baja, no, but Sonora yes.

3 years ago I'm almost positive they would flag you down at K21 and ask for a permit. But they probably won't these days. Doesn't necessarily mean you don't need one. So, keep going if you are brave.

Let us know what you find out.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
I will walk over to Mexico next week and find out what is required. But if you get a TIP for the trailer and then bring it back to the US, the TIP is good for 10 years...how do you "close it" out, especially if you sell the trailer?

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Yes the TIP is good for 10 years and you can come and go with it. If you plan to sell, clear the TIP on the way back to the USA at Banjercito. Easiest place to do so is at 21Km south of Nogales. You cannot legally sell the trailer in Mexico.

Posted: Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 

chucklesg wrote: I will walk over to Mexico next week and find out what is required. But if you get a TIP for the trailer and then bring it back to the US, the TIP is good for 10 years...how do you "close it" out, especially if you sell the trailer?
You can get a 10 year TIP on an RV for sure, but I don't know if you can get one on a 5th wheel trailer.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited on Sat Nov 3rd, 2018 08:25 pm by JZ

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2018 12:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I respond to this thread expecting some type of attack for my remarks from my cyber bully JZ...

I have taken 5th wheels to SC...Yes there was a 10 year TIP required. But, one time I just drove right through the Check point at K21. They just waved me through. That 5th wheeler is still in SC w/out papers parked on my property for only the past 6 years. 

Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2018 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
When we brought down our 32 foot travel trailer in 2008, we just told them we were going to San Carlos. They didnt require a TIP, at that time. Now, they do, as I understand, even if staying only in the hassle-free zone.

It changed about six years ago, according to my recollection.

Yes, Chuck, please tell us what you find out.

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
Your site you refer people to says this:

If you plan to travel no farther than San Carlos/Guaymas/Empalme within the State of Sonora, you no longer need a permit for your vehicle, trailer, etc.  

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 10:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I will clarify that statement.  Was meant to refer to small utility/cargo trailers.

Thanx

Last edited on Thu Nov 8th, 2018 01:14 pm by bartmanaz

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
seaspray89

Mana: 
I wanted to pass on my experience to get our boat, Miss WTB Boat, a 25 'sea ray to san carlos from Tucson through Mariposa. This ndone about six months ago.Might help.
We did indeed get our TIP.
i first tried banjercito website. Kept getting
booted off. So then went to Mexican consulate in tucson. They said go to km 21.
We stopped at first check point immediately across border at mariposa.
They told us no and waved us on.
At the first toll booth was directed to
Aduana just past there.
At aduana was inspected twice.
Docs needed were:
Trailer registration.
Trailer title.
Truck registration.
Passport.
Drivers license.
Current plates on truck and trailer.
Boat ownership doc from Arizona.
All numbers on docs, boat, and trailer were
Confirmed as corresponding and current to
Numbers on boat, truck, and trailer.
Then told to go to km 21.
At km 21 got visa.
Directed to banjercito for TIP. After
hour and half wait in line,
Again had to produce all aforementioned.
The agent tried to charge me $269.00 for importing truck as well as boat. After disagreeing with him that was dismissed.
Seemed like just a mistake more than intentional.
After tip issued and visa paid for
Sent back to visa window to get stamp on visa.
Cost for TIP was $59 USD.

no further vehicle inspection at km 21.
Just thorough exam of docs.

Last edited on Wed Dec 5th, 2018 04:58 pm by seaspray89

Current time is 07:43 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > TIP needed for a 5th wheel that stays within the "hassle free zone" Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems