San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Part-time retirement and sailing strategy

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Part-time retirement and sailing strategy  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Dear Forum members,
My first post here.

Being a 6-8 month from partial retirement starting thinking about switching to 6 month sailing - 6 month office strategy. I live in Phoenix. Very hands-on but almost zero experience on sailing. This is what I can think of.. Any advise, thoughts very welcome..
The plan is very simple
1. Get hotel for 1 month. Good hotel with reasonable price? Monthly cost renting small condo, even room - good internet is essential.
2.Shop for a sail boat and buy her. Thinking about 32'-36' sail boat.
3. Spend number of weeks fixing her and learn equipment. I assume dry storage allows some repair activity. Correct?
4. Spend number of weeks/month to learn haw to sail.Not interested in sailing schools. Reading schools material.. nothing I can't find through reading internet/books. Most crucial is sail theory and practice.  Is sailing coaching available for reasonable price from a local sailors? 
What credentials (training e.t.c) required to sail in Mexico waters? 30'-36' docking slip cost?

This is what I can think of.. Any advise, thoughts very welcome..
Thank you!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
You should contact Don at San Carlos Yacht Sales. Obviously, he sells boats, but he would be willing to give you lots of advice on accomplishing your goals, I would think.

https://sancarlosyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/sailboats

I dont know about sailing lessons. But Don will. It used to be more common.

There are lots of people doing what you are wanting, on a half-year basis, out of San Carlos. Some have means and others are living on the edge. Most are only doing it from Nov thru April. Too hot and stormy in July, Aug Sept, first part of October, most years. Yes, Phoenix is more comfortable than San Carlos in August/Sept, in my opinion.

Something, something dry heat............

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

Vince Radice who is on this Bd and Hiram Quiroz @ Barracuda Bobs in the Marina can teach sailing in San Carlos.

You can start shopping Sailboats on Craigslist Phoenix.And, Start watching Youtube sailing videos and search google....That can keep you busy till its time....

Remember.....a boat is a hole in the water where you deposit all your money...

Attachment: Chrisma and Me.jpg (Downloaded 209 times)

Last edited on Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:02 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Yes, Don is on my "to contact" list. Especially doing the boat business he knows ways around San Carlos.

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Jimmy wrote:
Vince Radice who is on this Bd and Hiram Quiroz @ Barracuda Bobs in the Marina can teach sailing in San Carlos.

You can start shopping Sailboats on Craigslist Phoenix.And, Start watching Youtube sailing videos and search google....That can keep you busy till its time....

Remember.....a boat is a hole in the water where you deposit all your money...

Damn,, she is great! Sailing alone what size of the boat I can do after moderate training?

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

One other thing........
the 2 greatest days of boat ownership are the day you buy her and the day you sell her..

I will give no advice but to say,, talk with Vince Radice who is the most knowledgeable sailor in and about San Carlos. He has been sailing SC for 25 years...does multi-hulls and mono-hulls. Hiram is very knowledgeable also...

Attachment: Mexico 036.jpg (Downloaded 205 times)

Last edited on Mon Sep 17th, 2018 08:37 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Jimmy wrote:
One other thing........
the 2 greatest days of boat ownership are the day you buy her and the day you sell her..

I will give no advice but to say,, talk with Vince Radice who is the most knowledgeable sailor in and about San Carlos. He has been sailing SC for 25 years...does multi-hulls and mono-hulls. Hiram is very knowledgeable also...

I hear you! I used to have motorboat. But occasional weekends on the waters don't bear the life purpose. Sailing in open waters does.

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
If you are single, find a lady that sails, and she will teach you.  Latitude 38 always seems to have ads in the back, people looking to cruise (most of them are sailors).  Might be a good place to start.  Vince is a great sailor, and knows his boats.  Length of boat to single hand, would depend how you take to sailing. More then 40 ft becomes more challenging.

Last edited on Mon Sep 17th, 2018 10:52 pm by long time resident

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Single and open to offers.

long time resident wrote: If you are single, find a lady that sails, and she will teach you.  Latitude 38 always seems to have ads in the back, people looking to cruise (most of them are sailors).  Might be a good place to start.  Vince is a great sailor, and knows his boats.  Length of boat to single hand, would depend how you take to sailing. More then 40 ft becomes more challenging.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2018 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
Dear Mr. Ruso, your plan seems reasonable, however you need to consider many factors, you live on the boat for 6 months, were do you live, going from port to port or in dock, boats require constant maintenance and repair, open water sailing is serious business, if not qualified it can be risky business even for the most qualified sailor, my advice is to rent a house in San Carlos, buy a sail boat and practice for 1 year, then sail off into the sunset.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2018 10:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
Dear Mr. Ruso, I would like you to realize your dreams, my neighbor has a 42' sail boat, the largest that a single person can sail, the boat is big, beautiful, sexy, has 2 state rooms and 2 heads, we take it out once a week for a day sail, when we have a good wind, all 3 sails are up, it is incredible, silence is golden, the sky is deep blue, the water calm, once we had whales within 50 feet of the boat, flying manta rays around the boat, so exciting, and then the winds change and the boat is on it's side, sails almost touching the water, our sailing dog looks up at us and says, "what the f..k is happening', another time we are entering the harbor entrance of the bahia, got caught in circular winds, the boat is turning circles and out of control, once we almost run the boat onto the rocks, now the deal is we are both experienced sailors, but s..t happens even to the best of us, you should consider buying my neighbors boat, OK to PM me to discuss.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
stephenjay, long time resident
For some strange reason Google Chorome browser not allow me to type-in message body in PM. The window for message body just disabled. Aghhh!:X

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

1st.... learn to sail before you dump your cash out on a expensive money pit and find you don't like it.....I started with an old 22' Catalina...I loved it. Pull it  around with my Pick up, easy to set up to sail single handed. Day sailing, up the coast for the weekend..Then I upgraded to a 41' trimaran. I found out that that little Catalina was a lot more fun. But the Tri was great for my ego... I found out that I did not like spending days out at sea. You can't just jump in the car and run down to Oxxo for some Tecate Rojas. I get bored easily and after just a few years I got bored with my Tri....Try to sell an expensive boat, it can take years. I was lucky I sold my Tri to a company in La Paz who made a party boat out of it. My Ego misses it But I Don't.

Contact Vince Radice. He will give you ALL the info you need and he will give you Good Solid Advice that will help you make an educated decision on your sailing future.

For some reason or other I want to tell you to run out and get the first boat you fall in love with and then worry about learning how to operate it. That is what I did with my Trimaran...

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 12:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
Expensive boat is relative term. I don't need ocean cruiser on this stage. May be never need one. Considering many factors my boat is between 32 and 38 feet and budget below 25K. I am very comfortable stay alone for days. Traveled solo all over middle east, Mexico, Ecuador and Peru. Most exciting part in boating would be travel from port to port, meeting new people, blend-in into local culture and stay alone when I want.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 12:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Jimmy, Great advice! I arrived in San Carlos on a junk rigged yawl, 78', a lot of fun, and a lot of work. I have had friends that singlehanded 50' boats, no problem. Just depends on your level of experience, and the design of the boat. Save your money, and sail on others boats in the beginning, and decide what you like and don't like about the different boats. The last thing you want to do, is buy a boat, only to find out that you do not like it, or it has some serious issues. The more boats you try out, the better. Put an ad in Latitude 38 or similar sailing mags, in the classifieds, and get on someone else's boat, and do some open water sailing....

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
trvlmedic

Mana: 
Ruso,

First off let me say "Good for you" to be humble enough to post on a forum and ask for help or advice.  Too often this doesn't happen and those are the people that struggle.  With that said, don't let the pessimist' get you down.  Yours is a reasonable plan and let me explain.

I have been sailing for the last 44 years and San Carlos is one of my favorite locales.  The beauty and the people.  For the last two years I have been sailing the SOC every other month.  Year one on my trailerable that I left at Marina Seca and the last year on my new to me catamaran.  Last April I had such a great experience that I came back to Arizona, sold everything and leave in 5 weeks for a global circumnavigation full time.  I retired 1 year ago.

If I had something to say about SOC sailing is that she can be a fickle b#tch.  Go slow with your learning, rig the boat sound, don't go cheap on equipment especially safety gear, make friends (you'll need them and they'll need you), add 10 to the weather forecasts.

Enjoy your endeavor,

Don

PM me your number if you want specifics like advice on your TIP.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
JCB

Mana: 

All the posts here have been very optimistic about your plans but I think you really need to address one essential point, namely that $25k is not even remotely sufficient if you want a sound oceangoing boat in the 32'+ size range.  You can  possibly by a boat for that price but you will then spend 3 times that much fixing it up.  New rigging, new sails, overhaul engine, electronics, new dingy, windvane, etc etc will each cost between $2k to $5k.  

You will also find that you will be on your own and do not expect a find a lady that would excited about sailing with you.  A few years ago, another man came here with similar ideas.   He spent a huge amount of money buying and fixing up a boat.  He also tied to find a companion without success and eventually after a few years, he sold his boat and moved back to the US. 

The reality of sailing is totally different from the idea that dreamers have.   Before even coming down here, you should move to somewhere on the Calif coast and take some sailing classes and then bareboat charter for a few months to find out if you actually like sailing.  The Oxnard, Ventura, Santa Barbara area would be a good choice because of the offshore islands and the strong winds that are typical of the  Santa Barbara channel.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Ruso

Mana: 

Thank you for your input. Any point, even though, it might not entirely applicable to me makes sense. I am pessimist too. Risk Management (always "what if.." question) one of my prof specialties. There is world of difference between "oceangoing" and coast cruiser boat. From ownership cost perspective as well. I took this difference into consideration.
I am always on my own. I learn on my own, train on my own and smart enough to know exactly what I want. Has nothing to do with "dreaming". Reality, sometimes, can correct my course of actions and this is normal. There are numerous example of people around making decisions and backing up from them for whatever reasons. If I find friends - great, if not - I hire coach. Not a big deal. 
Move to CA? I can drive to San Diego and work from there, buy a boat and learn there.. Not cost effective. I don't see how CA or Florida better for learning to sail, especially with financial impact of such approach I am aware there is a learning curve and shortening it always compromise safety and well being. I will go slow and careful.  JCB wrote:
All the posts here have been very optimistic about your plans but I think you really need to address one essential point, namely that $25k is not even remotely sufficient if you want a sound oceangoing boat in the 32'+ size range.  You can  possibly by a boat for that price but you will then spend 3 times that much fixing it up.  New rigging, new sails, overhaul engine, electronics, new dingy, windvane, etc etc will each cost between $2k to $5k.  

You will also find that you will be on your own and do not expect a find a lady that would excited about sailing with you.  A few years ago, another man came here with similar ideas.   He spent a huge amount of money buying and fixing up a boat.  He also tied to find a companion without success and eventually after a few years, he sold his boat and moved back to the US. 

The reality of sailing is totally different from the idea that dreamers have.   Before even coming down here, you should move to somewhere on the Calif coast and take some sailing classes and then bareboat charter for a few months to find out if you actually like sailing.  The Oxnard, Ventura, Santa Barbara area would be a good choice because of the offshore islands and the strong winds that are typical of the  Santa Barbara channel.

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

I guess that at this point you should educate yourself on Sailboats. What to look for when buying a sound Sailboat. Start Shopping...

I browse Craigslist all of the time (I am thinking of another trailer sailor)...You can browse different locations...In the Phoenix and Tucson CL I often see boats advertised that are in SC.

Some folks can afford a New Caddy some folks can afford a Used Chevy...But if they both are sound machines they both will get you to where you are going....

I spent 20 years, and wore out 4 world Atlases Planning my world sailing Adventure.....And when it was all done 25 years later, I discovered I am a Trailer Sailor....jajajajaja

But,,Chasing that Obsession was a Blast!!!!

Last edited on Fri Sep 21st, 2018 06:18 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Ruso

Mana: 
"Trailer sailor"... My dad always told me - You can do whatever you want to - be the best in what you are doing.

Current time is 12:04 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Part-time retirement and sailing strategy Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems