San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Temporary Residence Visa  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2018 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
goldin

Mana: 
I get your experience, Bullshipper. But what happens if you get a permanent visa? Are you forced to import your car, get Mexican plates, while in the Free Zone? That is the question.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2018 10:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
goldin wrote: I get your experience, Bullshipper. But what happens if you get a permanent visa? Are you forced to import your car, get Mexican plates, while in the Free Zone? That is the question.

If you do not maintain a drivers license, car tiles and registration with a USA address it is not legal for you to drive a USA plated car here. The same applies in the states. If you do not declare residency in some state, you should not be able to registered a car in that state either.

So people use relatives addresses to get around this. 

Cops here only ask for registration and driver licenses if they stop you in the free zone where no car permit is required. I have never had one ask me for my tourist, FM3, or passport here on the road as they have no jurisdiction over immigration status, and vice versa.

Immigration paperwork is only required by immigration officials at international points of entry and exit, and by bankers and notarios when doing transactions that our DEA and the Sectretaria de Relacciones Exteriores require them to supervise.

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2018 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
goldin

Mana: 
So are you saying that as a temp resident here with a house in the US, US driver license, etc, that’s the only legal way to drive a Us plated car here? Considering a permanent visa would imply that I’m giving up my US residency and should not be able to drive a US plated car even in the Free Zone?

Posted: Wed Sep 5th, 2018 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
goldin wrote: So are you saying that as a temp resident here with a house in the US, US driver license, etc, that’s the only legal way to drive a Us plated car here? Considering a permanent visa would imply that I’m giving up my US residency and should not be able to drive a US plated car even in the Free Zone?

Yes. If you list Mexico as your residence, you will need a mexico drivers licence and Mexico plated car.

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2018 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Well this is very interesting indeed. I guess we never considered the permanent visa just because of the car importation requirements. We had no intention of living in Mexico full time. Bullshipper, thanks for opening my eyes. 

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2018 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Bullshipper. Where would you need to list your Mexican residency that forces the requirements that you have listed?

I have had a permanent residency for a number of years. When I originally made inquiries about all the issues that have been discussed in this thread, I was told by immigration officials that it is OK to drive my US plated vehicle in the free zone. I also looked into the law and found that there is no law regarding US plated cars owned by US citizens with Mexican permanent residency in the free zone. I was told that it is "policy" that US plated cars owned by people with Mexican permanent residency can be driven in the free zone. 

Like most everyone who lives down here permanently, I have a US address which is my mail drop in Sierra Vista, Arizona. That has been customary for years with we expats. 

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2018 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
The concern is not INM, it is ADUANA who can confiscate your foreign plated vehicle if driven by permanent residents.
And, yes, I know of people this happened to, though it was not in the hassle free zone.

Since no written exemption in MX law can be found for the hassle free zone, Aduana could enforce the law anytime they want to and confiscate vehicles here.

Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2018 03:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Does anyone know of a confiscation happening in the hassle free zone --- EVER??? I know of people who went south of Empalme and were stopped by the authorities for some unrelated reason. Their vehicle was NOT confiscated. They were merely told to turn around and go back to the hassle free zone. Nothing is black and white in the law here or in the USA. This thread talks about bad things that COULD happen. But, to the best of my knowledge, I do not know of anyone who has had their vehicle confiscated in the hassle free zone. Do you???? If not, you are merely speculating based on your opinion.

Somebody on this thread said that if you can show proof of a US residency, nothing bad will happen even if one has a Mexican permanent resident status. Did I correctly understand this?? If so, nothing bad is going to happen if you are driving a US plated vehicle.

As I understand it, it is true that a Mexican citizen cannot legally own or drive a US plated vehicle. I think this includes those Anglos who have a Mexican passport.

Last edited on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 06:26 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
I was told on more than one occasion, as I was going though the process for my perm resident book then card, that I could not drive a US plated vehicle. I had worked with the same lady at migracion for some years and she seemed to be well informed on the laws.

As to confiscations, one was in Naco when a Mexican woman was driving an Az plated car. They had her unload her passengers and purchases and park the car in the holding pen. My neighbors daughter (green card holder), a person from NM who approached me about an attorney, and a local resident who is a US citizen, have all had their cars confiscated. The last three were just out of the hassle free zone.

I believe there is a check point north of HMO where they check US plated cars to see if the person has a visa and US passport.

In my opinion, if you are asked for a visa and you show a perm resident card then you are outside of the law regardless of whether you are in the hassle free zone or not. 

Just my take on it.
Tim

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Thanks Tim.I was told the opposite by immigration when I got my perm resident card.There has been a LOT of confusion and misunderstanding. Funny, I have been completely ignored by that checkpoint north of Hermosillo for years with my US plated vehicle. But, I am beginning to wonder if the permanent resident card is a liability. I am going to talk to my agent again. Maybe that there is a way to go back to the old visa process.  

Your example at Naco is a Mexican citizen driving a US plated car. It is common knowledge that your example is illegal. But, I am under the impression that a US citizen with a permanent residency is different. Based on this thread, I will be checking again this week. 

Also, a previous post ( bullshipper post 62} states "If you do not maintain a drivers license, car tiles and registration with a USA address it is not legal for you to drive a USA plated car here."    I interpret that to mean that I am legal in the no hassle zone with a permanent residency as long as I can show a US address.

Last edited on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:58 am by ballenamar

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
goldin

Mana: 
Bullshipper opened my eyes about the permanent visa. I always thought that my issue with not getting the permanent was because of the car importation with the Mexican plates. What I now understand is that is either or, but you cannot take whatever is convenient for you from each application of temporary or permanent. With the permanent status you have relinquished your residency in the US! You have chosen a permanent residency in Mexico. Therefore as permanent resident in Mexico you need to legalize your transportation in this country by importing your car and getting the plates. 

I have a house in the US, which I don’t plan to sell to move to Mexico. Thus, the best status for me will be temporary, driving a US plated car. 

Last edited on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 01:13 am by goldin

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
But, it is easier said than done because Mexico blocks many vehicles for importation. Mine is one of them. And this vehicle is an important part of my life. I travel extensively in my camper. Simply buying another vehicle down here is not an option for me. When I first decided to go for the permanent residency, the stories were far different than what is being told in this thread. Driving my US plated vehicle in the no hassle zone was clearly permitted !!! This is why I am now trying to separate fact from opinion. 

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
goldin

Mana: 
I get you, ballenamar. It could be frustrating not to get the real legal version. My recommendation to you is to knock on Aduanas door and see if they can clarify all for you. 
They are on the left hand side of Serdan right after the 3 Presidents plaza. 

I too had an issue with my Japanese car. It was not importable because the Vin started with a J. 

The other “help” I can offer you is to go to yucalandia.com. I posted in this guys site to try to clarify this mess. If I get a response I’ll let you know.

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 02:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Thanks goldin. I will share anything I can find. Tomorrow I will start by visiting the lady who arranged my permanent residency in the first place. Maybe she can steer me. 

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 02:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I find the laws in the US VERY black and white. Dont know where you lived, Ballenamar.

The grey area in laws is why so many people choose to move to Mexico. So little enforcement of ANYTHING down here, often times to the detriment of the country and it's people.

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 10:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
76th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Ballenamar, just keep in mind that the visa requirements are handled through the Immigration system and the car importation is handled by Aduana. Herein lies the problem. The left hand does not know what the right one is doing...

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 11:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
77th Post
goldin

Mana: 

I found a document that defines the rules for driving a car in Mexico called Manual de Procedimientos para la Importación Temporal de Vehículos y Motocicletas de Procedencia Extranjera. It’s written by SAT, Servicio de Administración Tributaria, Secretaria de Hacienda y Crédito Publico. So No, it’s not Immigration, No, it’s not Aduana. It’s Hacienda, the equivalent of the Treasury Dept. in the US. 

Check section 5.2.1, it talks about which visa status is required to get a TIP for temporary importation of a vehicle. AND is not a permanent Mexican resident. It’s s permanent resident of the US!

Here’s the link: http://visasmex.com/files/Manual_importacion_temporal_de_vehiculos.pdf

Last edited on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 11:59 am by goldin

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
78th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Thanks to everyone for your comments. If aduana is the enforcement arm for the matter of US plated vehicles and those of us who have Mexican permanent resident status, why am I not hearing any stories about confiscations of vehicles at the aduana check points near the border?? Everyone goes through those checkpoints. I've done it many times.

I remember years ago when the government suddenly required car permits for all foreign vehicles from the border and south. With this new ruling, large cash deposits were required. It happened near the Xmas season. Traffic from the USA to Mexico came to a standstill. Sonora businessmen went to Mexico City to beg the government to stop doing this. The result was the establishment of the Sonora Only no hassle zone. This was policy and not law. I suspect that the car importation issue regarding US plated vehicles falls under this the Sonora Only exceptions. The one consistent thing I have heard is that there is policy, not law, that has been and still is governing the Sonora Only exception regarding US plated vehicles.

Last edited on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:48 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
79th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Ballenamar, please check my last post. It’s not Aduana that’s responsible. If you want to hear about confiscation, etc, please go to yucalandia.com. There’s plenty in there. 
Maybe you should talk to Hacienda about your importation issues too. 

I’m not sure how you’ve been able to travel everywhere with your US plated car. I’d think that as soon as you requested your TIP, while permanent, it would have been denied.
Good luck.

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2018 12:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
80th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
goldin: I have NOT traveled everywhere in Mexico in my vehicle. Only in the hassle free (sonora only) zone. I do not need a TIP because my camper is built into the bed of my truck. It is not a trailer. It is a pop-up camper.

Current time is 07:38 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Temporary Residence Visa Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems