San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Temporary Residence Visa  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 1st, 2018 09:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
maryt

Mana: 
I think the answer is that if you are driving in the US, no matter where the car is from, you have to get US coverage. If you are driving in Mexico you need Mexican coverage. There is no one coverage covers both places.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Sep 1st, 2018 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
BB - on all my US plated vehicles that I use both sides of the border - double insurance - that is for example :

Truck - Plated South Dakota , Insured in USA with US Co - Insured Mexico with Qualitas Permanent resident policy ( same as tourist but 365 days coverage ) Both policies are full comprehensive - so cost is in effect double each year.

Smaller truck financed in US - ditto above.

US plated Truck DOES NOT LEAVE MEXICO , but registration in SD is up to date - Mexico only tourist policy ( Perm resident ) no US policy needed.

MX SUV - plated in Sonora , insured with Qualitas Mexico - fully comp . Mexican policy has various limits and deductibles BUT also provides min required coverage for USA and Canada if I were to take it NOB.

The advantage of US plated vehicle having mx tourist policy is you can state value - for example my low milage chevy truck I can "state" value say $25,000  and if it is stolen or written off I get the full 25k . On my Mexican plated vehicle "THEY" that is the insurance company determine its value and that is stated on the policy.  In this case I have a vehicle worth 8k plus ( very low milage ) but old - 2005 - so my mx insurance decides it's value is only 6k or less , plus there are deductibles - so if I loose the mx plated vehicle I will be out of pocket.

hope of some small help !

:)

PS - Regarding US truck plated in South Dakota - I know some US insurance companies will allow you to suspend cover while out of the country ( I can't because of it being bundled into my US property coverage )

Posted: Sat Sep 1st, 2018 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
goldin

Mana: 
Hey, buffalobill. All I know is that for our American plated car we have insurance for while we are in Mexico, through a Mexican provider, and the same for the US, through a US company. We actually keep the American insurance throughout the year, just in case that we go shopping in AZ. The Mexican insurance we pay for the time we are there. 

We don’t have permanent visa or Mexican plated car. Thus, I would not be able to answer your question as I do not know. What I would like to see is importing the car, getting Mexican plates, but keeping my US plates. So that when I cross into the US I could switch the plates. I’m not sure this is allowed, but I don’t know if importing would put your car in some sharable (with the US) data base, where they keep track of which cars should be driving in US highways.

That’s my perfect scenario for getting the permanent visa.

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I carry a full coverage policy on my USA plated car with a USA insurance company as well as full coverage with a Mexican policy.
Yes, it is redundant, especially if you you only spend a couple of weeks in the USA per year, like I do.  
But a few years ago I cancelled the USA coverage, then realized how unhappy I was with the limited options for temporary coverage just to make trips north a couple times a year. So I had to get my former coverage reinstated, which was a pain.

Investigate your options for temporary coverage to travel to the USA, then make a decision about continuing full annual coverage.

I do know people with MX plated cars travel to the USA with no problems, but I don’t know who they get insurance coverage with to do it.

As for Goldin’s question about having both sets of plates, that is not possible.  Once you import your US plated car to MX, it is registered and you are driving it with Mexican plates, that’s it.  You can’t have both, it’s either one or the other.

You would have to go through a lot more expense to export the car back to the USA, legally register it there to get a new set of USA plates.  And one source told me once you have exported from the USA, then completed the importation to Mex, the USA will not allow an importation back to the USA.

So the way I heard it, the decision to import to MX is final.

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Thanks, Marigot. That pretty much convinces me that importing and permanent is not the way we’ll go. I just don’t want to drive a Mexican plated car in the US.

Now, does anybody know where in the Mexican law system is it stated that you can continue to drive a US plated car in the Free Zone, while permanent. 

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
That written law does not exist.

There are local gringo permanent residents who drive foreign plated cars here and claim the ‘hassle free zone’ is an exception to the law, but there is NO written legal proof to that claim.

And I don’t want to be the one with a permanent resident visa who tries to collect on an auto insurance claim for an accident while driving a foreign plated car.  The insurance companies use any excuse possible to avoid paying a claim.  Why make it easier for them by putting the legality of your vehicle in question?

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Our South Dakota plated , Mexican Insured ( Tourist 365 ) was involved in an accident.

Police - levied fine but had no issues with resident status - (permanent) dl was Colorado.

Mx Insurance co - never questioned residence status although copy of Permanente was included in documentation.

Claim was paid in full - just took a while - our broker ADA VIS Global in US was great help.

I do not believe any written law can be referenced regarding free zone exemption and permanente , but practically our experience would indicate no problems.

:)

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Wow...good info Ian.
So is your MX insurance with ADA?  Is that the broker or insurance company?

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Broker is ADA GLOBAL 

Mis spoke - Ins was underwritten by Seguros El Potosi - my mx plated is with Qualitas !

:(

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Ian, can you clarify what the fine was for?

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
goldin

Mana: 
Marigot, it has to be in writing. I thought it was Aduana, but I could not find anything in it.
I’m trying to determine the proper title for the Exterior Affairs (?) Dept. Any clues?

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
ja ja

Careless driving - hit accelerator instead of brake - hit a wall , 11am !

Damage to third party wall 

:X

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 03:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
goldin

Mana: 
That’s too funny, Ian. Glad you were ok.
Did not think the police would be interested in immigration stuff...

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
sorry, Goldin, My answer to you in post #46 was unclear.

What I should have said is, the supposed permission for permanent resident visa holders to drive foreign plated vehicles in the hassle free zone doesn’t exist.

There are local people who claim the law against permanent residents driving foreign plated cars doesn’t apply in the hassle free zone, but there is no exemption statement in Mexican law.

If you can find one, please let us know, but I don’t think it exists. 

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
goldin

Mana: 
I’m looking. Maybe the SRE, Secretariat of External Relations, Dept has something. I’ll report if I find anything.

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
My father had tourist full coverage on his car in Mexico, and when he lost it, they only paid LOW bluebook, even tho it was worth much more, and he had stated the value on his policy, so be careful. It might depend who you insure with.

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 07:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
MARIGOT wrote: sorry, Goldin, My answer to you in post #46 was unclear.

What I should have said is, the supposed permission for permanent resident visa holders to drive foreign plated vehicles in the hassle free zone doesn’t exist.

There are local people who claim the law against permanent residents driving foreign plated cars doesn’t apply in the hassle free zone, but there is no exemption statement in Mexican law.

If you can find one, please let us know, but I don’t think it exists. 

I believe your vehicle needs to be registered  and insured in the same country where you declare your residency if its here full time. If you bring a vehicle from the states, then look for a US insurer that will also cover you in Mexico, declaring the US as your primary address.

But if you plan to live in Mexico, then I would purchase a vehicle and insure it in Mexico, buying short term trip insurance for it when you visit the states, declaring Mexico as your primary residence.  

Last edited on Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 07:18 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Sun Sep 2nd, 2018 07:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
I researched this a while ago and found information on a Mexican Embassy page that explained that if you are driving a US plated car you must have a US residence. Most authorities accept a US drivers license as proof that you have a residence in the USA. Legally, only certain federal authorities are allowed to question your immigration status, similar to the prohibition in some states north of the border where local police cannot question the status of immigrants.

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2018 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
goldin

Mana: 
In my search, I found 309 laws and 587 Regulations. Did not read them all, just their titles.
In it I found regulation 414, Interior Regulation of the Secretariat of Exterior Relations. 77 pages listing the responsibilities of the secretariat. The only relevant information there is that the Dept is responsible for all consulate offices.

Nothing regarding the requirements for vehicle importation as regards being permanent. If anybody has specific, as in legal, information that could answer our questions re: can you drive a US plated car while permanent, can you drive a US plated car, while permanent, and in the Free Zone, etc? Thanks.

Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2018 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you have a US address, drivers licence, title and registration all set up with the US address, you are allowed to drive your US plated vehicle in Mexico legally.
I am not going to look up the law either, but this has been my 42 year experience living full time in Mexico.

Current time is 11:32 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Temporary Residence Visa Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems