San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Temporary Residence Visa  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Hook

Mana: 
What do you mean by the "crossing visa" Buffalo Bill? Is that for a Temp or a Perm?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
buffalobill

Mana: 
The Temporary Resident Visa :)

Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
goldin

Mana: 
Sorry, did not mean to confuse you, buffalobill.

It is obvious to me during the four times we have started the temp residence process, that they did not make it a discussion or requirement to talk about whatever real estate you have purchased in SC. As a matter of fact, the first time around, we brought the deed and they did not want to see it. I’m not sure why it’s spelled out in the law, but they apparently are not pushing for re evidence to complete the process. There does not appear to be a link to closing on a re deal and your visa status. 

In my research I also found a list they keep and update of all immigrants. They also have a point system that I’m unable to understand. It seems they keep track of some people (all people?) by points based on your preparation, your solvency, etc. If I understood correctly it is used to determine permanent status. Hummm...

Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2018 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Hook

Mana: 
So, Buffalo Bill, did you inquire about the financial qualifications for a Permanente? Or are you not interested in that? I think a Permanente might be a bit cheaper than paying for four years of Temporal and then going to the Permanente, anyway.

Are the vehicle restrictions the problem?

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have bought and sold several properties and corporations in Mexico with a Tourist Permit, working permit, and naturalization paperwork over the last 42 years. Not sure if the regulations have changed recently, but in all buying transactions, a valid entry permit was taken as documentation, and the secretaria de relaciones exteriores gave prior permission to me prior to notorization .

It is also my experience that toruists are only allowed to stay in Mexico for 180 day of each calender year if thehy have an FMT. This is rarely enforced, but I believe this is still stated on the back of all tourist permits.

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Bottom line, money influx and investments take priority over the written words...

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
You are still able to purchase property with a tourist visa. The mexican consulate in Tucson is great! They are very efficient , and move people through quickly. I went in to renew my passport, and they not only did everything while I waited, but also took the photo there for it. Took less then an hour from start to finish. Everyone that works there is bi-lingual (for those that do not speak spanish), and the building is a work of art. Easy to find, parking is plentiful, and the staff is professional.

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
buffalobill

Mana: 
Yes Hook, you got that right, thank you for asking. It's the vehicle restrictions that are stopping us in our tracts as we don't want to sell.  I'm  reading that as a permanent resident of Mexico, you cannot own a vehicle with  foreign license plates. Not sure how that would work within the free zone? Question is, could we still keep our vehicles with AZ plates and long as we keep them within the free zone?

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
Many do, including "yours truly".

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
palmadita

Mana: 
I have asked that question of several immigration authorities, and the answer is that you can drive your foreign played vehicle in the free zone with a Residente Permanente

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Had FMM okay to buy , sold first house they requested Temporal/FM3 for sale

However I am doubtful as to what is actually required - there may be tax issues but I cannot see having a requirement for Temporaral / Permanente to sell , but I don’t know !

Cars - US plated driven on Permanente in free zone , we have one car imported for outside free zone travel which we drive on Sonora plates / driving licenses.  Note US plated must be driven on US license.

:)

PS - best one of all - get Mexican citizenship - “IF” you have NOB address you can now get a TIP !

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
goldin

Mana: 
As I understand it, the car importation issue is controlled by Aduanas, not Immigration. I could not get any answers when we stopped at their offices in Guaymas a few years back. Maybe is time for another homework about the Ley Aduanera...

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
buffalobill

Mana: 

Thanks EZ MONY, that's good to know.

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2018 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
buffalobill

Mana: 

Question about exiting and re-entering Mexico with a Temporary Resident Visa.

I presume they want to track your comings and goings, so I'm wondering if you have to use the FMM form, or 180-day tourist card or "visa" when you leave and again when you re-enter Mexico? I presume this would be done at the Immigration office at K21 from SC to Nogales and again at K21 Nogales to SC??

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2018 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Entering and exiting with a temp visa requires nothing more. It’s good for four years. We choose to stop at 21 every time, in and out. They ask you are you coming or going and they scan your passport.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2018 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Ian948 wrote: PS - best one of all - get Mexican citizenship - “IF” you have NOB address you can now get a TIP !

That TIP for Mexican Nationals who Reside in the USA allows them to operate their US Plated cars for 180 days in Mexico. They start/stop the clock with each entry/exit.

So, you can't just leave the US plated car in Mexico full time all year. I asked about it as part of my Citizenship process. 

Anyway, if you are splitting your time between the countries, it would definitely work.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2018 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Thanks - did not know the 180 restriction :-(   Thought finally found a loophole !!!

:)

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2018 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
JCB

Mana: 

Buffalobill  -  Have you actually lived down here for any length of time?   If not, you really should rent for a least a full year before getting more involved.  You can do that on an FMM with one trip back to Nogales after 6 months.   Year around living here is definitely not for everyone.  Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter.  The water temp is too cold for swimming from Dec to May, etc, etc. 

Have a look around at all the houses for sale.  It is very easy to buy in but very difficult to sell if you decide that living here is not for you.   Another consideration is that this town is becoming more and more a vacation spot of nationals and sometimes houses are bought as party houses.  If you happen to be next door to one of those, you will soon want to be leaving town.

Posted: Sat Sep 1st, 2018 06:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Can't really argue with JCB's assessment, except that if you live anywhere but the west side of the Caracol or west of the Tetas, winter is not cold at all. Daytime highs in the 70s are the norm; daytime highs in the 60s usually only happens less than five days per year. Over the past five years or so, there have been only 8-10 nights with temps below 45F. It has been 6-7 years since we saw temps in the 30s. I have recorded only 3-4 nights below 30 in ten years and they were at least seven years ago.

And, really, those exception areas mentioned above arent that much cooler. It's the wind chill that makes it feel much colder. It is not uncommon for WNW winds to last 2-4 days and blow at around 15-20 knots from 11am till sundown in those areas. This is for the areas mentioned above only. At the same time those winds are blowing, it can be less than 0-5 knots most all the other locations in town and be 5-10 degrees warmer.

JCB is correct about the ocean temps. It will usually stay in the low-mid 70s in November, then drop into the low-mid 60s from December through mid April. Then usually low 70s by mid May. I have seen ocean temps in the upper 50s but it is not common.

Posted: Sat Sep 1st, 2018 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
buffalobill

Mana: 

Thanks Golden, that answered my entering and exiting with a temp visa question. :)

I have another question in regard to vehicle insurance. When living in SC with a temp. visa and with, in my case, AZ plates and driving equally both in Mexico and the U.S., are you paying for U.S. auto insurance as well as for Mexican auto insurance?

Also, say you live in SC and buy a car in Mexico and driving with Mexican plates. I presume you have to have Mexican auto insurance but when driving your car with Mexican plates in the U.S., do you have to buy auto insurance in Mexico for coverage when driving in the U.S.?

Having to carry U.S. auto insurance and Mexican auto insurance with primary residence in Mexico, sounds rather excessive. Not sure how this works. Any info will be helpful.

Thanks!

Current time is 11:30 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Temporary Residence Visa Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems