San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > BF Farmacia Significant price increases

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
BF Farmacia Significant price increases  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2018 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Yesterday I went to BF Farmacia in San Carlos to purchase my monthly supply of medications. Big sticker shock!!! My bill for the same list of medications was 30% higher.  Apparently BF drew in new customers at lower prices and is now cashing in.  Both the manager and the cashier acknowledged the heavy price increase. The manager was very gracious and quietly suggested that I go to Walmart or to Farmacia Guadalajara in Miramar for lower prices. In the past, I had compared BF prices with Walmart and Guadalajara and BF prices were the same. Next month, I will be shopping my medications elsewhere.

Last edited on Fri Jul 20th, 2018 02:58 pm by ballenamar

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2018 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up.
The gringo pricing is unfortunate, because I loved the convenience of buying here in San Carlos.  So, back to Sam’s Club and Guadalajara pharmacies for me.

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2018 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
hans

Mana: 
Here in Hermosillo i got Informed by Benavides , that last Week there was a Big Price Increase.

Here in Mexico .....if the Dollar goes UP the Prices go Up...and the same when the Dollar goes down the Prices go Up.

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2018 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
What you say makes sense except the increase was not across the board with my order. It was selective. The more expensive items increased greatly and the cheaper items stayed the same as before. Add to that the staff suggested other places to go.

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2018 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
A good place to check prices is: https://www.profeco.gob.mx/precios/canasta/home.aspx?th=1

The nearest city on the list is Hermosillo, but it gives you an idea of what the going price is.

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
This week I took the time to shop for my monthly medication list at Walmart and Farmacia Guadalajara in Miramar. I was surprised to find that Walmart did not have 50% of the 7 items on my list. And, an expensive non-generic blood thinner was much more expensive at Walmart than at BF.  

I then went to Farmacia Guadalajara. The prices for my med list were about 25% less at Guadalajara than at BF. Last month I spent $US150 on my med list at BF. This month I spent $US115 at Guadalajara for the same list.

Last edited on Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 02:31 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Next month, for comparison, shop the prices at Sam’s Club pharmacy.
They are competitive on some items.

Good luck

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Is the price difference worth all the running around? Serious question.

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
frankie

Mana: 
john, i agree!!! when i go into guaymas it's to run multiple errands, movie, dry cleaners, car wash, lunch, home depot,ect!!!

this is a tourist town and we are being charged as! over the last month i have gone to several popular restaurants, ordering rib eye steaks "ouch" sticker shock!!! 

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
John Moore:  For a US$35 difference in my monthly medication cost, it is worth it. But for me, I do not need to run around. Farmacia Guadalajara is very near where I teach each week-- or when I go to WalMart to do my grocery shopping. I live on a fixed income pension so I carefully watch my costs. But, your point is well taken about "running around" because gas prices are insane. I also plan multiple things at the same time to save on gas.

Last edited on Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 05:14 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
ballenamar, a very good and sensible answer. Many people will benefit from others "running around", and that is great, as this thread has been very informative.

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Good info, Ballenamar.

Really, it's pretty easy to simply put all your Guaymas errands on a once a week (or two) list. The savings over San Carlos pricing will more than pay for the small cost of extra gas.

How are the prices at that new market in town where Super Del Norte used to be? How is the foot traffic in and out? Do they have any unique items that make them viable?

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
That info is in a thread entitled ‘Santovalle Mercado’.
It doesn’t have a pharmacy, so it doesn’t pertain to this thread.

Posted: Thu Aug 23rd, 2018 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Maybe he was unaware they did not have a pharmacy. The nerve of that guy.

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 04:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
No worries.

I took a tangent off the idea of shopping within or outside San Carlos. That led to wondering how the new store is doing. I was off topic, for sure.

Thanks for the heads up about the Farmacia Guadalajara.

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
MARIGOT: You mention in this thread trying Sam's Club. I have never been there. I think there is a fee to buy there. What is the fee?? Is shopping at Sam's Club worth the fee? Or is Walmart just as good? I was shocked at the poor availability of certain meds at Walmart and the very high prices for generic drugs as compared to other pharmacies. Since Walmart and Sam's Club are the same company (?), I am assuming that the price structure and availability for medications is the same. Or am I wrong?

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Well, I’m feeling pretty stupid right now because I just renewed my annual Sam’s Club membership 4 months ago and can’t remember whether it was $450 or $500 MX.  Never fear, someone will correct me! :P

I don’t buy that much at Sam’s, but the things I do buy there aren’t available elsewhere, so that makes it worth my while.

Also, I have read about people getting Killer deals on electronics at Buen Fin (or whatever the correct name is).  So that may make it worthwhile to others.

Since I only purchase ONE oral prescription medication, price shopping isn’t as critical for me.  And the price for it is pretty consistent between the different stores.  But I also buy Voltarén tablets and topical gel.  So I can be much more flexible on where to buy.

If things haven’t changed the price difference between Sam’s Club and Guadalajara pharmacy was only a couple of pesos for me.   And the convenience of buying where I am already shopping over driving over to Guadalajara, parking and yada, yada wins out.  But I really like Guadalajara, and will stop there if I am lunching at Mazateño anyway.

Sam’s Club gives a 5% discount on oral meds if you have the INAPAM senior discount card, which I take advantage of.  I can’t remember if Walmart does or not, because their prices are higher.  I usually walk away after saying ‘demasiado caro’.  

BF Farmacia honors the discount card also.  Guadalajara pharmacy prices are already discounted so much they won’t honor the INAPAM card.

It seems I remember that Sam’s Club and/or Costco in the USA will give you a one time visitor pass before committing to buying a membership.  They may not do that in Guaymas, don’t know.

But if you want to check out the pharmacy prices, let me know what day you plan a trip to Walmart, etc, and I will meet you at Sam’s Club so you can enter as my guest.

Only you can decide if the membership fee is covered by the savings you get on your purchases over a years time.  Or if the convenience of having certain products available to you is worth the fee.

As to your question about Walmart and Sam’s Club sibling status, I know for a fact the pharmacy prices are different.  It’s probably just because the concept for the stores is so different...one being a warehouse box store, the other being a regular retail operation.

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Oh, and here is something I forgot in my previous post.
When I purchase TWO boxes of tabs of my prescription med at one time at Sam’s Club regular price, if I bring that receipt with me the next time I can buy one and get another free.

I don’t know if that is only for certain meds or not, but it warrants asking about.  Of course, now that I have mentioned it, if anyone asks about it they will probably look at you like you’re crazy.  :(

I just know when I was buying my med in Sam’s Club consistently, BEFORE we had BF here in San Carlos, I could get one free box after having purchased two previously.  When BF came to San Carlos I wanted to support them, so started buying everything here exclusively.
Now that their prices have gone up I will probably go back to Guadalajara and Sam’s Club.  Won’t know until I do if the get-one-free thing is still in effect.

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I want to thank everyone for your comments. Very useful !!

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2018 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Hook

Mana: 
When Sam's first opened, we got an introductory membership. After much comparison shopping for the EXACT same item in Walmart and Sam's, I concluded that the savings at Sams were only about 3%, on average. That was a while ago, now. Not that much of a savings, really. We decided there was nothing really unique at Sams Guaymas that we had to have.

I did not compare the pharmacies.

But we would never give up our Costco membership. Too valuable in the US and in Mexico.

I do remember realizing that renewing your Costco membership is significantly cheaper in Mexico, yet the privileges are cross-border.

Current time is 09:52 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > BF Farmacia Significant price increases Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems