San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Maria’s Mexican Restaurant  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 1st, 2018 09:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Today I had a very good lunch at Maria’s Mexican Restaurant, next to Amanda’s papelería, upstairs over Dave’s BBQ, across the street from the Marina Terra Hotel.
The restaurant is open Sunday through Wednesday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Thursday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to midnight.  Beautiful wall murals by Héctor Vari and Mexican music, not too loud.  The breeze today was lovely on the patio, with so much street activity to entertain.

You can park on the street in front and walk up the steps along the north side of the building, or park in back, and avoid the steps.

There is really a good variety on the menu from breakfast to lunch and dinner items.  I ate the Mexican combination plate, but friends enjoyed the tortas with crinkle cut French fries and gorditas.  There are about 6 soups on the menu, including tortilla, menudo, pozole, chili bean and a couple of others.  BBQ ribs, shrimp dishes, hamburgers, tortas, 2 salads and more other selections than I can remember.

And WiFi with the password posted on a sign on the wall.

Very enjoyable...I’m glad it is in walking distance from the Caracol Peninsula.  

Last edited on Tue May 1st, 2018 09:48 pm by MARIGOT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 12:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
goldin

Mana: 
That’s good news. We’ve been trying to have dinner there twice, just to find locked doors. Like yesterday, when you went at lunch, it was locked for dinner. Very weird. We were celebrating your words of being open seven days a week... Not.

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Well, that’s disappointing!
The owner and I had an interesting conversation about the hours, so I know I reported them correctly.
I pointed out to him that his menu lists the Thurs through Sat hours as 7 a.m. to 12 pm (noon).  Since the first half of the week their posted hours are until 11 pm, it made no sense to me for them to close at noon for the weekend days.  He had not caught the error, and agreed it was wrong on the menu and will get it corrected on the next printing.

So I am very surprised they were locked up.  Very disappointed also, because he really talks like he wants to be a success and provide good service.  So sorry that was your experience.

Last edited on Wed May 2nd, 2018 01:57 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Thanks, Marigot. We’ll try it again tonight in hopes of getting lucky. We are leaving on Sunday, so this is our week when I don’t cook...

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TONY ABQ

Mana: 
Yeah we tried last night for dinner and was locked up. That's twice for us to try so one moe time and we will give up. 

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 04:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Sorry...sloppy fingers on the tablet...🤪

Last edited on Wed May 2nd, 2018 04:38 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 04:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I’m headed out to Guaymas in a few minutes, so I will stop by and ask him what is going on.  And tell him he is losing business.
He will surely ask me what time you were there...do you mind saying?

Last edited on Wed May 2nd, 2018 04:37 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
goldin

Mana: 
Sure. We always go to dinner at 5:30pm. It was around that time. We’ll try him again tonight, hoping for an open door... After that, no more.

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2018 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Okay.  When I went in this morning a couple of friends finishing breakfast said Tony did have a sign on the door that the restaurant is closed for half days on Tuesday, only through the summer.  But he took it down because he is thinking about changing it to Wed.

One of the staff got Tony on the phone for me since he wasn’t in right then.  He confirmed exactly what my friends told me, that he isn’t sure which day he wants to close half day.  Yesterday they closed at 3:30 pm.

I advised him that he is alienating customers and losing business because he does not have this notification of hours posted for the public.  So he promised to do it.  Hopefully he will take care of posting the restaurant hours on the door today when he comes in.

IMO, It would be a shame to exclude this restaurant from your list of available choices in San Carlos.  Tony is trying hard and is doing pretty well considering they have only been open a couple of weeks, and I think it is his first restaurant, not sure.  I think he will get the kinks worked out.  

I know posting the hours is pretty obvious, but I’m willing to cut him some slack while they get settled in.  I hope everyone else will too.  Considering all the hoops and bull new business owners have to survive just getting a business open in Mexico, he is probably doing well to get this far and still possess some degree of sanity.

Have fun and enjoy your visit there and your meals.

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2018 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
in san carlos you get six chances to make a first impression so mexico i hope they succeed

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2018 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
goldin

Mana: 
We went. The food was good and such was the service. Tony had the sign up, although it said they were close on Wednesday, which was not true. Another couple and us enjoying.
He probably would benefit from some marketing...

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2018 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Great!  Glad you had a good time.

As I mentioned in post #9, he was thinking about changing from closing on Tue to Wed.  It was Tue this week and apparently Wed next week.

Timing is everything, they say.  Even in his placing the sign this Wed for closed half day next week.

I may try one of the salads today for lunch...

Last edited on Thu May 3rd, 2018 10:16 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2018 02:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Indecision about restaurant hours is bad business. It pisses people off.

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2018 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Caroline

Mana: 
some common sense goes a long way in business, especially a new business. People will soon cross you off their list if you screw up that much. The owner needs to make a final decision of exactly when they are open, post it and stick to it or more folks will just blow it off. I suggest they plan their schedule around what the community wants and not what they want, after all if we don't go in to eat they might as well be closed all the time.

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2018 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
You can say that again!

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2018 06:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
The hours have been posted on the restaurant door since May 3rd, over a week ago.

Current time is 03:19 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Maria’s Mexican Restaurant Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems