San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Information on new alarm system company in San Carlos

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Information on new alarm system company in San Carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 16th, 2018 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Does anyone have experience ( good or bad) with Horizon Smart Home alarm company in San Carlos ?? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Feb 16th, 2018 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Ballenamar, found this:

https://www.alarm.com/MX/HorizonSmartHome

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Thanks JohnMoore. I have that info. What I am hoping to gain is some perspective on actual installations and the views of those who purchased the service.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 01:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Yes that would be helpful. I also am looking for a system.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
Yes I have them went from 278.00 for 6 months down to 300.00 a year when I switched. If you go with them please tell them I sent you.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Guzzi: There is a front end cost that you failed to mention. They charge $399 (up front) for their basic package PLUS a monitoring fee of $25 per month ($300 per year). Cyberco has no front end fees. 

I was a loyal Cyberco customer for a long time because, when there was a verified alarm, the Cyberco staff would go to the house after calling the police. They waited until the police arrived. But, then they quit doing that. They simply called the police who may or may not arrive.  I think a basic alarm system may have a deterrent effect (sirens, etc) but the perpetrators can get into and out of a house long before the police arrive. Many of us are not here all year. So, a burglary could take place, the alarm signal goes to Cyberco, they call the police, but there is no follow up. 

This new company works the same way. The alarm triggers a signal to a call center that is many miles away. A call is made to the local police, but there is no follow through. The new company will sell you a cell phone system for another $200 up front and $6 a month fee. This way, you are alerted about the alarm and can take action yourself or through an appointed person when you are not here. But, the cost goes up. Your front end cost is now $600 and your total monthly fee is now $31 per month. 

Personally, I see little value in an alarm system without the cell phone option. The cell phone option lets you take control, get help, and follow through -- even when you are not in San Carlos.

For me, I am looking at other options -- probably a DIY system that works through TelCel. Up front cost is under $300 and there are no monthly fees except for a TelCel SIM chip.

Last edited on Sat Feb 17th, 2018 05:16 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I put my own alarm system in about 8 yrs ago, unmonitored - just flashing lights and sirens. Then went thru some personal relationship issues and decided to contract with Cyberco to monitor it. They changed some settings so it would call them - worked for 5 years till 2 yrs ago I thought the cost was getting out of line. $600 x 5 yrs is $3K - not that much to steal here, so I dropped Cyberco - and they came out and took away their signs. Back to unmonitored again. But loud.  I would say that just calling the police is worthless. 

Last edited on Sat Feb 17th, 2018 05:34 pm by nice guy

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 05:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
So, what do you do with your cell phone alert/photo images? Call the police? Take that to court and enter the dreaded judicial system? Ask a friend to stop an in-progress burglary?

In the past, the police WILL NOT PROSECUTE unless they catch the person in the act.

Security services, other than an armed guard, seem like a waste of money and force you to deal with the legal system. No bueno. Maybe a loud alarm might be a deterrent for the short term.

This has certainly been a year of many break-ins. I can understand the interest. But the lack of any realistic means of deterring the burglaries just emboldens the perps even more. They know the police aren't motivated. They know how few convictions there actually are in the legal system.

The old saying still holds. Dont invest more in Mexico than you can afford to lose. Nothing has really changed.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
ballenamar there was NO charge to start with them or front end charge for me. I cancelled Cyberco and Horizon came out and hooked me up. Had Cyberco for almost 10 years.

Hook Yes you can view each room if you have camera system which is more money (I think 37.00 a month) plus more equipment.

Check them out.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Question seems to be - did Cyberco install your equip - and do they own it? Will they come and remove it, like they did their signs on my house?

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I stopped Cyberco over a year ago. The signs were removed but they told me that I owned the equipment. 
I agree with everything that is said about the police and burglaries and the justice system. So, I am focusing on employing deterrents. Loud alarms, high resolution cameras (police will act with accurate pictures), and being able to respond to a burglary in process by using my cell phone to remotely warn the burglars through the alarm system.
I have had some good luck with DIY systems in the past. Now, they have advanced cell phone features, cameras, etc. Even if the quality is not as good as Cyberco or Horizon equipment, I could replace a bad DIY every year for much less than the cost of paying either Cyberco or Horizon for their services.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I CAN see the value in having visual room monitoring IF you are in the house. And there have been many break-ins where the owners are in the house, sleeping. If you could be alerted to their entrance and can scare them away, somehow, that all one can ask. A loud-as-hell alarm might work.

But if you're not there, I dont think there will be a timely enough response.

To get involved in the legal system has the risk of costing more than the security system. And the perps could have friends who remember who prosecuted their "buddy" and where they lived. Another no bueno.

Just scare them off and be done with it. Don't involve the police any more than filing the police report IF you are required to for insurance purposes.

Last edited on Sat Feb 17th, 2018 07:44 pm by Hook

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 09:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
Yes Cyberco did install the equipment. But only after they sell it to you. Same with Horizon they will sell you equipment than install it. All equipment is yours.

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Use to hook up with a separated girl who had a Cyberco account. Went over one night pretty drunk and set the alarm off. She wasn't home yet. They called the house and I pretended I was the husband. They accepted this excuse.

That's all I've got.

Last edited on Sat Feb 17th, 2018 09:33 pm by JZ

Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
A dog or two with a scary bark works well in Mexico to keep them off of the property.

Last edited on Sat Feb 17th, 2018 10:20 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2018 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
tpaul7

Mana: 
I just put a system in my new house with Cyberco and chose their 300 peso a month service plan. I wanted someone monitoring my system that is local. If I have a problem or question at midnight when I get home from Hammerhead's I call Cyberco here. No calling to the US like you would have to do with the new company.

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2018 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
I use Nest Cam with Nest Aware Service from Google and I am very happy with it.

https://nest.com/cameras/nest-cam-outdoor/overview/

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2018 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
Horizon has a local emergence number. That someone does answer.

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2018 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
So what is the 300 peso a month service that Cyber-co has?

Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2018 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
LTR: I am a bit confused because what some folks on this thread are saying about Cyberco service is different. I called their office today (Sunday) and talked to the dispatcher. He assures me that a Cyberco employee will physically respond to a verified alarm, go to the residence, and work with the police. Their policy of joining with the police was their original practice but then they dropped it. But, it now appears that they will come to the house with the police.  I will ask a lot of questions tomorrow and report back to the forum.

Last edited on Sun Feb 18th, 2018 07:08 pm by ballenamar

Current time is 04:48 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Information on new alarm system company in San Carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems