San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Water storage  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2018 04:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RichD

Mana: 
This is one of the longest outages in Winter that I can remember.  It seems like it is the new normal.  
It seems like a good idea to consider storage projects for the future.  Appropriate solutions will vary depending on your neighborhood and how much room you have storage.
Please share your ideas for the benefit of forum readers. 
As an example, I live in the Ranchitos and I never get water in the daytime anymore.  My solution is totally dependent on storing water in tinacos and using a pressure pump for reasonable water pressure for household use. 
I chose tinacos over a concrete tank so that I could clean them every year.  I have 2 tinacos above ground and 1 in the ground.  That is because water pressure is so low that the in ground tank inlet is at a much lower level and always fills first.  Before you think about a tinaco on the roof, make sure you have enough pressure at that level to fill the tank during normal periods.  
In normal times, use the meter to record how much water you use and plan a system that will store enough for 2 weeks or more.  Plumbing can be quite complicated if you are trying to retrofit an existing home, maybe a pro will be needed. 
Any other thoughts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2018 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ezmony

Mana: 
I agree it seems like the "new norm'.

I never get enough pressure any longer to get the 6' of head necessary to fill my above ground pila (1800 gal) so I now use the below ground 3000 ltr tank to fill my above ground tank. My inground tinaco fills (on a good week) about twice. You do the math---Crystal is my go to supply these days. Uggggggggg.

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2018 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
That brings up another consideration. Placing the storage in a place that could be filled by tanker in a pinch.

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2018 05:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
For the fun of it.. at first EZMony seems to have plenty.... But do the calculations and it is very tight..... (I had this info handy in a Word document previously for my own water use calculations)
  • 3000 X2 = 6000litres per week or 1568 gallons per week.
  • Flush the toilet 4 times a day for 2 persons = 8 * 1.6 gal = 12.8 gal * 7 = 89.6 gallons
  • Shower once a day for two persons = 2 * 20 gal = 40 gal * 7 = 280 gallons
  • Dishwasher once a day = 1 * 6 gal = 6 gal * 7 = 42 gallons
  • Other Kitchen Washing/Preparing Food 3 times a day = 3 * 5 gal = 15 gal * 7 = 75 gallons
  • Handwashing 6 times a day for 2 persons 12 * 2 gal = 24 gal * 7 =  168 gallons
  • Facewashing/TeethBrushing 2 times a day for 2 persons 4 * 2 gal = 8 gal & 7 = 56 gallons
  • Laundry 4 loads, twice a week, 4 * 45 gal = 180 gal * 2 = 360 gallons
  • Mopping Floors - 2 buckets full, 4 times a week. 12 gal * 4 = 48 gallons

That's just more than 1100 gallons, assuming modern energy efficient appliances and strict conservation methods, and we haven't washed a car, performed any special house maintenance, nor watered any gardens or trees.
So, yeah it's tight.

Regarding city pressure not sufficient to fill a roof mounted tinaco, I have an experience to share. Helped with an installation in Vicam where we put a small 450 l in the ground with a series of level switches (full / low) and a small relay pump... Extemely low pressure Pueblo water from the street would fill that, and it would be used to charge a larger 1100L elevated tinaco via the small relay pump. Of course the 1100L elevated tinaco had a full switch too... The logic behind the relay pump was important as it had to use inputs from the full/low switches in the 450l tinaco and the full switch in the 1100l tinaco.  There were some good deadbands (timer relays) configured so the little relay pump wasn't starting/stopping constantly (rather chose longer run times to promote less cycling). 
The assumption with this system was the pueblo water pressure was too low to be useful.. The elevation of the 2nd tinaco was high enough to fill toilets and wash hands.. all that was needed. 

No pressure tank and boost pump were used.. although that would be an easy addition if you wanted pressure for showers for instance... You'd just have to make use of a low level switch in the 1100L tinaco to not run the pump dry if there is failure in other parts of the system or no water comes at all for long periods of time, emptying everything.

Watering the garden can always be done with a takeoff prior to entry into the 450l charge tinaco to bypass the whole system... but then you're garden would be at the mercy of city water delivery.... Could always plumb it so that you can accept either water source to your hose bibs... of course use the appropriate one-way/check/non-return valves. If you wanted the switch-over automation, you'd need to use a flow switch (with a useful deadband) on the city water side and a series of solenoid valves.

You could always have the water truck fill the 450L charge tank (which should be located very close to your meter, therefore convenient for that truck) and let your system do the rest to fill your tinacos.

Last edited on Thu Jan 4th, 2018 06:03 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2018 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Great information. That system might work for many. Make sure to get a pump that is powerful enough to lift water from the bottom of the in ground tank to the top (inlet) of the roof top tinaco. Pumps are rated in lift (altura) usually in meters but sometimes in floors (pisos).

Current time is 01:29 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Water storage Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems