San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pueblo Magico  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2017 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
Hook

Mana: 
Hey, Odwyerpw, I noticed that Alamos is a Pueblo Magico. Maybe you can dig around a bit and find out how much Alamos received for that designation and what they used it for?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2017 11:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
It was awarded in 2005.

However, Alamos, as a community, already had the following:

Two plazas in the center of the town... each with gazebos, public gardens, benches, etc....

The FAOT music festivals.

An impressive History Museum with lots of community support

Bomberos very interested in the community and holding camps/classes to keep young ones occupied.

Architecture, Architecture, Architecture

Gardens, Gardens, Gardens

Streets paved in stone and brick.

A decent enough baseball stadium with a team.

Fine hotels.

Lots and lots of community involvement from foreigners and Mexicans alike, almost too many to name.

Alamos was heavily destroyed in 2008 by Hurrican Norbert, only 3 years after receiving it's designation. The damaged stated at almost 14million usd. So flooded areas received allot of disaster relief. It helped that Bours was then Governor and his family is central to Alamos.

I know that in 2006 the road from Navajoa to Alamos was substantially rebuilt...

I know that power lines were buried (but not telephone.. so you still have poles... don't get me started on that one), but that might have been part of the storm recovery.

Even now, we continue to get streets paved.

We've received money to maintain Tourist police...

I imagine the nice fields / courts / parks for soccor, baseball, hockey, skating, basketball are probably a result of the pueblo magico status too. Again can't be sure.

The arched entrance a few kilometers out of town. don't know if that was before or after 2005...

We have 1, count 'em, 1 OXXO. That's it... and it has no neon.

I think we might have gotten the convention center that you guys didn't. It is spectacular and really done in a nice colonial style inside and out! They are moving fast on it.

Last edited on Sun Dec 17th, 2017 01:57 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2017 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
A park with parking spaces in the middle of a four lane road? It is already a very dangerous intersection. Cars headed west are not easily seen when one is making the turn to go west on the road and they are usually travelling fast. It is now a pretty sight as you enter San Carlos. Why destroy it? Who would use it? :(:X:(

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2017 03:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
Hook

Mana: 
kiteboarder wrote: A park with parking spaces in the middle of a four lane road? It is already a very dangerous intersection. Cars headed west are not easily seen when one is making the turn to go west on the road and they are usually travelling fast. It is now a pretty sight as you enter San Carlos. Why destroy it? Who would use it? :(:X:(
Of course, all you say makes complete sense. Some type of park in that location is ludicrous. But I would point out that the view entering San Carlos from the east was destroyed when they put in that ridiculous number of street lights along Beltrones.

Anyway, when something is built in San Carlos that makes no sense (like said street lights), the answer often lies in who benefits financially from it being built.

I dont know the answer to that, in this case. But maybe it is a prelude to development inland and/or towards the ocean from this location. Really, how much longer can San Francisco Beach resist further development? The lots being sold in the desert north of this location have really boomed in the last 3 years.

Posted: Tue Dec 19th, 2017 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
Dave

Mana: 
We have water, they just have to learn how to deliver it.

Posted: Wed Dec 20th, 2017 12:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
They have learned how - by truck !! Maybe we should use UPS or FedEx instead ?? Now if we only had street signs and numbers - and more 120 dB parties.

Posted: Wed Dec 20th, 2017 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Forgive me..I'm old and have come to peace with my losses at the hands of "living the dream". I just cannot understand either the enthusiasm for some ridiculous designation, nor the continued resignation of those who love to sweep everything under the "Viva Mexico" floormat. The streaming internet is up-to-date, but the water supply is one generation advanced from a well with a bucket. Much like the ruling class in Mexican culture, the expatriots with unlimited resources and connections are living the "Déjalos comer pastel life" while retirees and locals are waiting for water.

Last edited on Wed Dec 20th, 2017 04:16 am by IronMan

Posted: Wed Dec 20th, 2017 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Ironman, I completely agree.

Current time is 12:33 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Pueblo Magico Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems