San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Is Qualitas your Mexico Insurance?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Is Qualitas your Mexico Insurance?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 29th, 2017 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jax

Mana: 
I bought 3-months of insurance though Lewis & Lewis,

Lewis and Lewis Insurance Agency, Inc. 11900 West Olympic Blvd. #475 Los Angeles CA 90064 Phone (310) 207-7700 or (800) 966-6830 Fax (310) 207-7701

They are brokers for the Mexican Insurance Qualitas.
On September 29th, we (3 vehicles) were Southbound on MX 15, about 2km north of Los Janos.  We entered the construction zone where a flagman motioned us all to slow down even more. 

A double-semi behind me did not slow down and impacted the left rear corner of my vehicle.  Two estimates put the cost near $6000.00 US. 

First, Qualitas tried to trick me to going to a Mexican repair shop in Nogales to get an estimate.  Thank God the shop was no longer there, as they would have been the maximum the insurance would have had to pay.

I called Lewis & Lewis and asked about this - my policy says they will pay US labor rates.  Lewis & Lewis sent my info to the Qualitas management and asked "what is going on"?
Finally, after a month, I received the attached letter.  In effect:

September 29th 2017 in Imuris, Sonora, and based on the pictures, severity of impact and estimate from The Body Shop Paint and Body LLC we can only offer you the following:
Toyota Tundra 2011
Cost of Repair $ 5704.32 USD TAX ( not included ) - $ 266.12
USD Deductible - $ 500.00 USD
NET PAYMENT $ 4938.20 USD
If you agree with the above net payment of $4938.20 USD as full and final settlement for this claim, sign this document and send it via email to us along with a copy of your ID and Registration Card.

Now, I still have a truck not yet repaired and I have to fight with them to cover it.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH QUALITAS!!!!!   I do not believe they are worth the bother.

Attachment: 171028 Qualitas Settlement Letter.pdf (Downloaded 8 times)

Last edited on Sun Oct 29th, 2017 09:45 pm by Jax

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2017 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
What 2 estimates for near $6000?? $5704 is near $6000 - what's your issue?

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2017 11:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jax

Mana: 
Perhaps you missed it - they are paying less than $5000. 

Certainly not what I expected, nor did I expect the deductible applies even if it is 100% not your fault. 

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
390pony

Mana: 
The deductible always applies.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
390pony wrote: The deductible always applies.
When you are a gringo. Time and time again, the Mexican walks, with no repercussions, if the gringo has insurance.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jax

Mana: 
I have pored over my policy, and see nothing stated that "the deductible always applies. The Mexico insurance costs as much as my top-rated USAA.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I didn't miss it - where did the 2 estimates appear from?

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 03:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Having been in Mexico for 12 years now.... If a Mexican Insurance Company is paying you $4938usd (which is almost $5000usd) after your deductible on damage that was estimated in the USA to cost almost $6000usd to repair..... well honestly.... as these things normally go for tourist in Mexico, that's decent compensation.

I won't squat on your thread by relating some of the horror stories I'm personally privy to when I've been called on to assist people who needed to resolve an automobile accident.

I have Qualitas. I picked them because all of the Taxistas en Nogales Sonora use them (thinking expediency of service, but maybe I'm wrong...). I use the agent in Nogales, located right in the very upscale Kennedy neighborhood of Nogales. I travel back and forth between Alamos and Green Valley, so it's easy to pay them a visit once a year and pay cash for the entire year. Note: I have a Mexican plated vehicle, so it's not tourist insurance, it's resident insurance.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I will look over my policy to see if there are any comments related to the deductible always applying.
*edited for spelling.

Last edited on Tue Oct 31st, 2017 04:08 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jax

Mana: 
nice guy wrote: I didn't miss it - where did the 2 estimates appear from?
As per the policy, I got two estimates from two US body shops.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jax

Mana: 
odwyerpw wrote: Having been in Mexico for 12 years now.... If a Mexican Insurance Company is paying you $4938usd (which is almost $5000usd) after your deductible on damage that was estimated in the USA to cost almost $6000usd to repair..... well honestly.... as these things normally go for tourist in Mexico, that's decent compensation.
Ouch. 

Thank you for relating your experience. 

If ~85% is truly the "standard" compensation, I shall have to re-evaluate what I am purchasing.  I see no reason to pay top dollar if 85% is all one receives. 

Also, I am not appreciating waiting a month for the "offer letter", and then 3 more weeks for them to cut me a check.  Good thing I have a second vehicle.  smh

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 02:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
maryt

Mana: 
The deductible applies because you are using your property damage coverage. If your company goes against the other party´s insurance and recovers the whole cost, they would owe you your deductible back. Were you to go against the truck´s insurance carrier yourself against their liability coverage, then no deductible would apply but that can be a long and uncertain process so most people use their own property damage coverage and hope their own carrier is able to recover.

If they used an appraiser to come up with the lower amount, I would ask the body shop you intend to use if they will do the job for that amount. If not, you can use that as ammunition to demand the full amount of your lowest estimate.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jax

Mana: 
Thank you, MaryT.

I talked to Lewis & Lewis - There is optional insurance called "Uninsured Motorist Plus" that would have waived the deductible. smh.

As per the original post, Qualitas subtracted the US tax and deductible from the settlement amount.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jax

Mana: 
I think I will look to HDI in the future.  They are very up-front that collision damage is subject to the deductible.

There is also:

Premier Coverage
Provides additional coverage for vandalism and partial theft that is not included in Physical Damage and Total Theft. Vandalism coverage is subject to a $500 deductible and partial theft has a maximum coverage of $3,000 with a $1,000 deductible. For partial theft coverage, all equipment and parts must be originally installed by the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. Proof of installed equipment and parts is required. Also included is a waiver deductible. If you are not at fault in the accident as determined by the authorities or the HDI adjuster, you will not have to pay the deductible when your vehicle is repaired. In addition, HDI now offers a 50% increase in medical expenses if you are not at fault in the accident. Please read the endorsement on your policy for complete details.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
390pony

Mana: 
You're lucky the accident didn't involve a boat. In June of last year I had an engine fire on my boat. Total damage was $2,700+ with an invoice and another $400 paid without one. I am finally (maybe) getting an insurance payment of $196 and change. The insurance company has been totally uncooperative, causing delay after delay, and not responding to me. Mmy agent has been no better. I will be changing both when it comes due the end of next month.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2017 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
One only knows how good their Insurance is After An Accident.

I purchase my Insurance through Don Smith in Nogales AZ. About 5 years ago I had an accident in SC while parking a 5th Wheel. It bashed in the back of the cab on my nearly new truck. I called in the claim, the next day the adjuster showed up, He said that the damage was below the deductible ($1,000) and he took me to a place in Guaymas. No kidding, they fixed the damage, plus they fixed a dent in my tail gate. The work was done to Perfection in about 4 days for $600 USD. This winter, when I come down, I am going back to that Body Shop and have them Repaint my Truck the same Black and have them put on 2 coats of Lacquer. The estimator at the body shop is the Insurance Adjuster I had dealt with 20years ago.

20 years ago I had a finder bender in Guaymas. The police towed my vehicle to impound (It wasn't damaged much to speak of). After 5 days in impound, with me checking every day on the Adjuster, The Transit Jeffe said to me "I know where the Adjuster lives, I'll go get him". Sure enough, a couple of hours later he showed up with the adjuster and The claim was Adjusted (Under my deductible. The adjuster negotiated with the Injured party for a $300 USD adjustment, and I was on my way. BTW the truck I hit was only worth about $300. VIVA MEXICO!

Last edited on Tue Oct 31st, 2017 08:49 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2017 04:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Don Smith is only a broker, and has very little to do with what gets paid and doesnt get paid. Same goes with Lewis and Lewis.

Who was the insurance company, Jimmy?

Jax, can we assume that the commercial truck driver was uninsured? Did the police or anyone ever determine that?

Probably not. The gringo had insurance, so that's all that mattered.

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2017 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Jax

Mana: 
Hook wrote: "Don Smith is only a broker, and has very little to do with what gets paid and doesnt get paid. Same goes with Lewis and Lewis.

Who was the insurance company, Jimmy?

Jax, can we assume that the commercial truck driver was uninsured? Did the police or anyone ever determine that? Probably not. The gringo had insurance, so that's all that mattered.

Sadly, I think you are right.  The driver never produced a license, nor insurance.

Last edited on Wed Nov 1st, 2017 02:10 pm by Jax

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2017 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
firemanjohn

Mana: 
Other then the amount of time it has taken for you to receive your settlement, I don’t get your complaint. I had a claim in the US with similar circumstances and I had to pay my deductible and tax plus they have increased my premium for the next several years. Qualitas did you a solid by settling with you on an uninsured, at fault driver. ACE told my father he had to seek damages on his own from an uninsured at fault driver. Qualitas also pays US parts and labor. Good luck if you think you can find another Mexico insurance company any better than Qualitas.

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2017 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Jax

Mana: 
firemanjohn wrote: Other then the amount of time it has taken for you to receive your settlement, I don’t get your complaint. I had a claim in the US with similar circumstances and I had to pay my deductible and tax plus they have increased my premium for the next several years. Qualitas did you a solid by settling with you on an uninsured, at fault driver. ACE told my father he had to seek damages on his own from an uninsured at fault driver. Qualitas also pays US parts and labor. Good luck if you think you can find another Mexico insurance company any better than Qualitas.
"Qualitas did me a solid by settling .  .  ."  That *is* what I paid them for.  I also paid for US parts and labor. 

You have a strange idea of "solid".  Or, I have higher standards.

Posted: Wed Nov 1st, 2017 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Basically Qualitas allowed $5438.20 and then dinged you for the $500 deductible for the convenience of not having to go after the other driver's policy and receiving 'faster' service. (no guarantee that you wouldn't have received anywhere near the Qualitas amount).

Several of us who've been here a while and are reading your story recognize this as a pretty good outcome.

You can't imagine the stories we've heard regarding ABA Seguros or Mapfre when it came time to collect. Unimaginable stuff!

It's different down here. Things just don't work the way we are accustomed to north of the border. That realization and acceptance helps you to stomach the grief of some of the inefficiencies and injustice you encounter.

Current time is 09:31 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Is Qualitas your Mexico Insurance? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems