San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Topes  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2017 05:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Righton

Mana: 
Have they started to install the new topes yet?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
Where? I haven't seen any although they did put fresh paint on the two buy the fountains.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Not enough money yet. The Comisario needs resident donations because the Guaymas treasury will not fund the needed topes.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 01:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hook

Mana: 
What about the private ones? Nothing yet by the Rock or Arbolitos?

I hate topes. They punish the innocent, law-abiders. I'd much rather see the police do their jobs. Is that too much to ask? And it doesn't cost a penny more.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
Lots of folks have not forgotten the LDM highway donation and its 5 year warranty. Fool me once..........

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ezmony

Mana: 
And on a second note...what is with our beautiful fountain....how much was squandered on that boondoggle?

I'm with Hook on the idea that the answer is right in front of us, but if we can believe that the culture of police enforcement will change ummmm me think not in the near future. Sorry but it is what it is. I still love it here..TOPES and all.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
The LDM street repair of a couple of years ago has nothing to do with the current need for topes at the designated locations. Police enforcement is spotty at best because as they are stopping one, 50 more go by. Topes are 24/7/365 and it's not so much the residents that speed and ignore the 3 way stop; it's the visitors and drunk ones at that(!) that could cause an accident or a pedestrian hit. As much as we hate 'em, topes are the best solution.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
I believe what ezmony meant and I agree with is the LDM fiasco was deal killer for more private funding projects. It did not say the topes are not necessary.

Last edited on Tue Aug 15th, 2017 07:18 pm by jsprag

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
The LDM road started out as a private road for the LDM RV Park and really, it still is. I agree that the city of Guaymas should maintain it, but they don't. The topes needed on the boulevard are an initiative of our Comisario and approved by the City Council BUT NOT funded by them. Do we want more accidents and pedestrian hits at those choke points? I, for one, do not and thus support the tope project.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 09:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
It may have started out as noble undertaking but it ended poorly. Certainly no one wants more accidents. That does not change the fact that garnering private funding for municipal endeavors will face a lot of headwind due to the LDM project.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Maybe with you, but not with most responsible residents that see that there is no correlation.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
jsprag

Mana: 
That remains to be seen.

Last edited on Tue Aug 15th, 2017 09:54 pm by jsprag

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
There is a very clear correlation:
Projects, that should be city funded.
Projects, now gone to fund raising, asking residents to pay for these services that should be provided by the City.
In this environment, funds collected could be misused, unused, or even worse.
Projects that "may be" completed or somewhat completed with NO quality controls, or warranties.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
In this case we have direct supervision by our Comisario.
OF COURSE this project should be funded by our property taxes paid to Guaymas! We all know that, but we also know the reality of the situation which is:

1. Our taxes go to fund Guaymas with very little ever coming back here. Sad but true. We are Guaymas' "cash cow", and the main reason many of us want SC to become its own municipio, (but that's another story and issue).

2. Since our Comisario realizes that lives and property are in jeopardy at the named choke points, he says. "c'mon guys & gals, let's get it done ourselves!" He is painfully aware of the problem because of his restaurant being right there at one of the choke points! (Charly's Rock).

3. The funds collected cannot be misused because the Comisario will personally disburse and supervise. Any unused funds (not likely IMO) will get used to the benefit of SC and you/we can get the details from the Comisario.

Quality control here "johnmoore" is a subjective thing; warranties(?) fergit it! I'd say we'll get topes like the ones by the fountain in from of the CC entrance. BTW, that fountain was privately funded by the boulevard's namesake. Anyway, let's get on the bandwagon and get this thing done!

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 12:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
jsprag

Mana: 

In addition to johnmoore's post.
If we embark on this slippery path, what is to stop municipalities from delaying on other basic repairs in hopes we pass the hat once again?It's my opinion it sets a dangerous precedent.

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Richard, as I remember the LDM road came with a guarantee.

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Whose? Certainly not the Municipio's, and certainly not the fund raisers, and certainly not the workers... so who guaranteed?

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
I think there was a guarantee. I can't remember for sure but I think at one time it would be repaired all the way to LDM which would have been around 3 times the distance actually worked on. Our then comisario was there at least one time. I think it was posted as to how much money was raised. Yes, someone should know about some type of contract. Throw some specs out there and get some bids on those specs. Our new comisario Ruben has a lot to lose by sticking his neck out and trying to improve San Carlos. I suppose folks could get mad and boycott his business and I'm sure he has thought about it. Who collects the money? Who pays the contractor, who approves the work? What amount and when will these "progress payments" be paid? I am no legal person and especially not here. I'm for the topes. There was another wreck yesterday afternoon in front of Jax Snax/Pemex, one was hit so hard it was turned over on it's side. Don't know about condition of occupants. Speed and topes don't mix. Ron

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Limey

Mana: 
You want things to change>...??? get better..?? well here is an opportunity to get involved in the process... donate time money...plans and push Ruben and others in Power to see we want safe,clean place to live... .also...Prof. Juan Carlos Gonsales is asking for support in an effort to seperate San Carlos from Guaymas.. here is a e-mail address if anyone wants info or support of project...profesorargueoastronomo@gmail.com

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 12:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Richard Baca wrote: The LDM street repair of a couple of years ago has nothing to do with the current need for topes at the designated locations. Police enforcement is spotty at best because as they are stopping one, 50 more go by. Topes are 24/7/365 and it's not so much the residents that speed and ignore the 3 way stop; it's the visitors and drunk ones at that(!) that could cause an accident or a pedestrian hit. As much as we hate 'em, topes are the best solution.
Maybe. But 50 go by that witness enforcement being done on a more regular basis and it changes their behavior.
Especially the gringo population. Although, IME, it's the locals that, by far, do the most speeding.

Current time is 01:25 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Topes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems