San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Blast from the Past  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Check out Guaymas in 1967. Video from NASA, about Guaymas, when NASA had a tracking station south of Emplame. I was in Guaymas that year. Brings back memories.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42712.0

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 06:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
jimmy, thanks!!!! look how nice and new guaymas looked!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Jimmy,
Thanks for sharing that video link! Wow.
Peter

Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
We really need to Thank Richard Baca (Gunny). I got the link from him.

Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Thanks Jimmy... It all came about because my Sister-in-Law married one of those NASA engineers who later got transferred to the NASA Station in Fairbanks, AK. My wife went to visit them and that's how I met her and ended up in San Carlos.

Posted: Tue Aug 8th, 2017 11:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Yep, it was really great back then, but only NASA, Jimmy and Frankie were around then...plenty fish.

Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2017 02:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Danodamano

Mana: 
And me

Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2017 04:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
johnmoore wrote: Yep, it was really great back then, but only NASA, Jimmy and Frankie were around then...plenty fish.
John,You made my morning coffee shoot out of my nose.. priceless.. thanks for the moment of levity.
I guess in those days, places like Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco would have been the big draws.
Peter

Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2017 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I didn't live here back then. I would just Pass Through. HWY 15 was a 2 lane road that went through Guaymas.  I knew nothing of San Carlos then and Guaymas was a Stink Pot when the air was still or blew off of the Bay.

In those days my time was spent in Mazatlan. Which was a True Paradise in the '60's and '70's. It was small but had every amenity that a young man could dream of. It wasn't until the early '90's that I became aware of San Carlos. Just 20 years ago San Carlos was nice. That was before it became a Bastion of the Gray Panthers and their Northern Culture.

Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2017 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i was 17 years old in the pictures i posted, i was here on spring break!
i was into mazatlan also!!
 i have lived here 16 years now, san carlos has it's ebbs and flows, but it is home and i am happy here!

Last edited on Wed Aug 9th, 2017 05:13 pm by frankiej

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2017 03:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
nostalgia is always fondly remembering the good old days and forgetting the bad stuff someday these will be the good old days

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2017 05:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
"the good old day", were void of infrastructure issues. you could, can, freeze, smoke, any tuna genre to your hearts content, on a daily basis. And in season, dorado, sierra, corbina, you could even buy abalone, shipped in daily from Baja, at Castros Fish, in Guaymas. The sense of community was huge then, we all learned to live with less, and adopt to Mexico and it's culture. Very little was done to make this U.S. south....Prior to parabolic antennae, we all listened to radio, records and tapes. Prior to telephone service here (which we all paid for, the install of poles and equipment) CB's were our only source of communication. The marina needed some help, it was a place you used on an enter at your own risk place..lol You tied up on a couple of 2x6' lashed or somehow secured to 50 gal drums....pretty primitive, but it sufficed. Could go on and on, this is not nostalgia, these on facts, nostalgia is from the heart. In my opinion, what we have now, is no where near, what those of us, once were a part of.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
Just who are the Grey Panthers? Never heard the term before.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Grey haired activists (literal meaning). Old Gringos (my meaning)

I hope you understood the cut that they bring their North of the Border Culture with them.

After my experience with Mortal Combat in Vietnam I started coming to Mexico as an Escape from that Cultural Mind Set. And for most of my time in Mexico since then I do Full Immersion. I come to Mexico to take a break from the Gringo Culture. Don't associate with Gringos. Don't speak English.

My problem is that the "Old Mexico" that I escaped to is No Longer Here. It has Morphed into something else.   

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
jimmy, if you are an old arizona boy as i am, you'll remember this;"welcome to arizona, now go home" !!
well eventually the "snowbirds" never went home!
basically the same has happened here in mexico, especially states like sonora, baja california.
for me, my experience has been like being transported in a time machine to what it was like in AZ. in the 50/60's!!
i can still go hunting where i want and it is not crowded with other hunters! out in wild sonora, no cell, no electricity, gas stations 35 miles away!
there are grey panthers here, who bring their unwanted NOB ideology here!! GG on the other forum is a perfect example!!!!!

Last edited on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 04:20 pm by frankiej

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
In the days that we are talking about, there was a "distinct and obvious" difference between North of the boarder and San Carlos. Now the difference is not so disenable. That is were the problem lies. Full-Time Newbies here (less than 15 years here), moved here (in many cases have no other place to go in US, they are all in financially) because of the similarity, as opposed to the distinct differences from the place they have moved from. Finding this, they want it all, all that they left (progressive, convenient self indulgencies) and all, that they know what San Carlos once offered....can't have both, and now in there contempt, have no place to go. Usually this is the result of buying after their FIRST visit. There was a time, that made a bit of sense.....but not now. Along with the attitude many have brought, the next biggest issue is the infrastructure, it was not designed, nor will it ever be completely capable of supporting the influx, of not only Gringo's, but now the Mexicans that have now discovered San Carlos.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
RichD

Mana: 
There are still places in Mexico where you can live in the old way. Not sure why anyone would choose San Carlos if that is what they are looking for. I don't think I am the only one that just likes living in a seaside community. I would live in the area North of San Diego if I could afford it. At any rate, complaining about things here wont change them.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Guido

Mana: 
Jimmy, if you don't associate with gringo's what are you doing on this forum?

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
I completely agree with RichD, I make one exception, I complain about the complainers.....lol

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
GWeedo the Newbe, When I am in Mexico I do not associate with your type. Fortunately, I have the substance to not be chained to one place.

Apparently, my point about living full immersion while in Mexico slipped past your keen eye.

Last edited on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 06:06 pm by Jimmy

Current time is 10:48 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Blast from the Past Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems