San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Health Advisory  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i can sometimes smell chlorine in my water!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
They're supposed to Jimmy, but this CEA outfit has gone rogue on us!

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you don't smell chlorine in your tap water I wouldn't trust it. Well water can be contaminated if it passes through contaminated plumbing.

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 05:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote:Well water can be contaminated if it passes through contaminated plumbing.

this is the problem there are so many leaks in our infrastructure, it is a recipe for disaster!!  

Last edited on Mon Jul 17th, 2017 05:35 am by frankiej

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Hook

Mana: 
The water is definitely treated with some derivative of chlorine/chloroamines. The problem is the tinacos/cisternas that everyone must use. Chlorine can dissipate and lose it's effectiveness, as it sits, exposed to air. Plus there are all the breaks in the lines that can allow contamination and allow air into the delivery lines; not to mention the air that gets in when the pumps are off.

Then, there's the warm water that sits in the tinacos/cisternas that is just a perfect temp to grow microbes.

I suspect that a large percentage of the food poisoning contracted in San Carlos is probably due to the rinse water used on vegetables and dinnerware and NOT the food, itself.

If you find yourself getting sick a lot............you're probably not drinking enough tequila and/or beer. Time for a lifestyle change. :cool:

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you smell chlorine all equipment that delivered it to you has also been sanitized.
But if they run out or the chlorinator malfunctions and you do not smell it prior to use then you are at risk.

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
LeslieS

Mana: 
From now on I am religiously adding two cap full of Clorox to my tinaco every week. Slacked off and paying for it now.

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Speaking of Ice. A long, long time ago, before purified ice, We were always very careful to wipe off the top of our beer cans before drinking.

It wasn't that many years ago I got the Montezuma Revenge from some street burros sold out of a cooler. It laid me out for days.  Locals had me drink strong lime juice mixed with a little water and as much salt in it as I could stand.  It worked. And, I have avoided that vendor ever since.

Last edited on Mon Jul 17th, 2017 06:59 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Limey

Mana: 
Call Swen... H2O Millenia get a whole house purification system and you never have to worry about whether the water is safe...for a few dollars you are protected...226-0094.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
How much Clorox is recommended for what quantity of water in a tinaco and how often should it be used.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 02:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
C'mon folks! 5 gallon plastic "garafones" (plastic bottles) only cost between P.$12 to P.$27 depending on source so there's no need to drink or brush with tap water. As for veggy washing, use "Microdyn" in the water. It's available at any grocery store in the veggy department (or ask for it). As for salads in a restaurant, well... just consider the source.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 02:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Timothy B. since tinacos are constantly being replenished (or should be), the frequency of Clorox addition is, methinks,  purely subjective. Ideally, in a full 250 liter (66 US gallons) a capful is sufficient or two capfuls in a full 500 liter (132 gal.) tinaco. As we know, replenishment is spotty around here these days, so I say monitor it as best you can. Remember, sodium hypochlorite (Chlorox) is a poison, so if you can smell it in the tap water, you are probably overdoing it but it's not harmful in small doses.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
maryt

Mana: 
Good practical question Timothy. Here is a World Health Organization link that has some cleaning info: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/cleaningtanks.pdf?ua=1

If you canĀ“t just click on the link, you can cut and paste it into your address line.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I thought you said you had some chemistry education Richard? Are you going to bath and rinse off in purified water too?
Chlorine is dectectable at 1-3 parts per million by your nose, and that is enough to maintain any system clean and kill what can hurt you as it is added in stronger doses of up to 10 ppm so that it weakens going through the system doing its job. 
But that also assumes your system does not have mud or other debri that does not require cleaning and super chlorination at around 100 ppm first.
Unless you are using chlorine gas under pressure, the chlorine you add will be highly diluted and will normally be sodium hypochlorite in bleach at around 5% chorine strength if memory serves me right and up to 33% in tablets if they are fresh, so you really have to see what it says on the bottle, or drum of tablets to know its strength and how to dilute.and Good advice to see a professional professional who is up on his facrs and game imo too.
And remember, poisionous gases are created when you mix chlorine with a lot of other detergents, especially toilet bowl cleaners.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
You are sounding Pompous Big Bull. (As Usual).

I thought Richards post was good practical advice. [One does not need to know how to build a car in order to drive one]. Perspective.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Chlorine folks, is a gas and a VERY dangerous one at that! No one is going to get their hands on any around here or anywhere without a license! Clorox is a dilute solution of water and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO). As such, Clorox can be used to "purify" water. A capful in a 250 liter tinaco will do the trick. (Two cap-fulls in a 500 liter tinaco). Since tinacos are constantly being replenished, it's best to monitor. The sniff test is adequate i.e., if you can smell it, that's enough. When the smell goes away, another capful is in order. Please, let's not complicate things.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
One cap of bleach at 8.25% or one tablespoon is 15 ppm in 250 liters. The legal limit in the Usa for drinking water is 4 so if you use as much as  Baca is sugesting you will have to mixto dissipate the chlorine to a much lower amount it for at least 30 minutes before drinking or bathing. Suggest you consult a pro if concerned.

Last edited on Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:47 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
"legal"? C'mon, let's not try to get too technical here. If you can smell it, it's too much. Use the water in your garden or wash the car. As soon as your tinaco replenishes, your NaClO level will stabilize and with experience you'll level things out.

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Is there a typical Tinaco size? Would the average home have the 1100 liter one?

Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 06:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
bombero wrote: Is there a typical Tinaco size? Would the average home have the 1100 liter one?

I remember that their capacities are labeled on the different sized tanks in front of the hardware store near the gas station if that helps.

Current time is 04:26 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Health Advisory Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems