San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Planning Visit to San Carlos with Family

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Planning Visit to San Carlos with Family  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 8th, 2017 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jdiffend

Mana: 
Greetings,
My grandparents owned a house on the Caracol Peninsula during the late 1970s through the 1990s. I wish they wouldn't have sold it! Sadly, I only had the opportunity to visit their house once when I was a kid. I have fond memories of fishing for tuna and marlin on the Sea of Cortez during the week that I spent with them.
My wife, 3 year old daughter, and I are looking to plan a trip to San Carlos next March (2018) during our spring break. My brother and his family will very likely join us as well. My wife and I are pretty adventurous and are interested in scoping out San Carlos as a possible place to consider retiring some day while visiting as tourists as well.
I've done a lot of reading about safety in Mexico, but would like to get input from people who are actually in San Carlos. Have you noticed any changes in the lay of the land since the election in November? Would you recommend driving from Tucson or flying to Hermosillo and driving from there? What other precautions do residents take while living in San Carlos?
For nostalgia's sake, we would likely be looking to rent a home on the Caracol Peninsula. In addition to visiting San Carlos, I'm sure we'd be looking to charter a boat for fishing for a day, visit the beaches, and relax. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
While San Carlos has grown a lot since I visited in the 1980s, it still looks just as beautiful as I remember it. I look forward to picking your brains and learning more about life in San Carlos. Thank you for your time and input!
- Joel

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Apr 8th, 2017 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Flying to HMO is stupidly expensive - and you have to go to Phoenix to do it. So, driving down is easy and cheaper. You could take a bus down but you'll want a car here anyhow. SC is pretty much immune to disturbances - neither the Nationals who live here or beach here, or the foreigners who live here, want their peaceful little beach town screwed up. So they pretty much take their fights elsewhere. Enjoy your visit.

Posted: Sat Apr 8th, 2017 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
Violence has not been an issue here. Stay on the main highway and travel in daylight. Current construction should be finished by then. Fishing in March would be Yellowtail or Bonita or bottom fishing. Nice time of year for hiking, kayaking, and just being outdoors. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Posted: Sat Apr 8th, 2017 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jdiffend

Mana: 
Thank you for your candor. I was wondering about that after reading about Randy's murder earlier this week. My condolences to his family and friends. Are fewer Americans and Canadians visiting San Carlos (and Sonora in general) due to the cartel violence?

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
A couple of facts.

Yes there have been killing in and close to SC - all involving the criminal element of one type or another killing each other .  No US or Canadian nationals involvement to my knowledge. 

Randy's sad death was not in San Carlos , he was returning from Yecora in the mountains , that said his death is huge tragedy for such a wonderful family who always gave so much to the community.

I have zero concerns ( other than traffic ) to travel from Tucson to here , prefer to drive in daylight for safety regarding traffic hazards , but have also driven at night. I would be comfortable for my wife or daughter to do the same route.

You really do not have to concern your self with violence in San Carlos , you do have to watch out and drive defensively on the way here ! Don't take chances overtaking that normally accounts for a lot of accidents on highway 15.

Driving in SC - watch speed and drunken gringos !
:)

Come down you will still love it - and no I am not a realtor !!

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
El Suizo

Mana: 
Flying or driving...
If you rent in Tucson a car you have to add the Mexican car insurance and not all agencies let you drive in Mexico and the extra insurance is expensive.
Flying into HMO used to be expensive, lately it's much cheaper from Ohio. Renting a car in Hermosillo isn't that expensive.
So you have to check that out either way.
We do this since the early 90ies every year and we haven't had a unsecure feeling.
I hope you guys will have a plast

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I am a woman and regularly drive alone with my dog between Tucson and San Carlos. I've never had a problem with anyone.

What evidence is there that Randy Kirk was a cartel killing? Isn't thay just an assumption? As was stated elsewhere, it was a carjacking gone wrong.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I am not aware of one act of violence against a North American in the last 10 years in San Carlos or the the hiway 15 corridor in daylight hours. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. I am discounting bar fights at Froggys.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Darn RD , that made me chuckle !!!:)

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jdiffend

Mana: 
RichD, that is hilarious! Plenty of bar fights down the street from me here in Kansas City. Maybe I'll feel right at home in SC. Thanks to all who are sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate the input.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
New Texican

Mana: 
My husband and I are somewhat new to visiting San Carlos, relative to most on this board, but I strenuously disagree with DeepSea's position based upon our personal experiences.  We have visited regularly over the past few years and drive from Texas when we do. It is true that you should plan to arrive in SC before dark, but mostly due to the potential difficulty of navigating unknown roadways at night, which is just common sense.  Once in SC, I, a female gringo, think nothing of walking alone, at night, if I choose. I am not a realtor nor a local property owner, so I have nothing to promote; I only aim to correct what I view to be misinformation regarding SC.
We fell in love with SC on our first visit and hope you and your family cherish your time there as much as we do. 

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
jdiffend

Mana: 
Thank you, New Texican. I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for chiming in on this topic. All of the responses are very helpful.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
RichD wrote: I am not aware of one act of violence against a North American in the last 10 years in San Carlos or the the hiway 15 corridor in daylight hours. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. I am discounting bar fights at Froggys.There was that old gringo charter guy that got assaulted on the boardwalk by some hooligan

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
DSD is obviously a trouble maker. Randy van Kirk's murder has nothing whatsoever to do with San Carlos. It happened in the mountains East of Hermosillo just West of Yecora almost 200 road miles away from San Carlos. Furthermore, aside from a couple of "crimes of passion", none of which involved any foreigners, none in San Carlos. Those bodies found just North of Loma del Mar were disposed of there, but came from elsewhere. Again, nothing to do with San Carlos residents.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Ironman hints at the most common source of violence here. Old gringos that still think they are tough. Mix with alcohol and some perceived insult and clumsy fighting sometimes happens. The resulting injuries depend more on how out of shape the participants are than the fighting skill.

Some other tips to the original poster: Watch your speed in small towns and Hermosillo. Small towns can't afford speed guns and put topes (speed bumps) on the highway. Look for them. Hermosillo police at times seek to supplement income by ticky tacky traffic stops. Keeping up with traffic is not an excuse, watch and obey speed limit signs in Hermosillo. It only adds a few minutes to your trip.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 04:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Vaquero

Mana: 
And be VERY CAREFUL if you have to go to Chicago.  All things must be put into reasonable perspective.  We love SC and feel safe enough here to spend 7-8 months a year.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
you bring your own peace or your own fear with you wherever you go

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
IMO, very true Vaquero! His comment though, of "3 evil sisters" one of which I am hubby to is interesting. Actually, my wife is one of seven sisters, none of which are in any way manner or form, evil. If he has any specific evil deed in mind, I'd like to know about it.

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
DeepSeaDiver, care to have a beer?

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Vaquero nailed it DSD, how could you possibly stay where you are obviously afraid for your life and so very unhappy. Problems here of course but few, not unlike my little hometown of Gillette, Wyoming? We've been here full time for 10 or eleven years now. We enjoy a safe, laid back, as the locals say, tranquil pueblo. I just totally disagree with your assessment. I have nothing to gain, have no business here to protect, have no real estate to sell and have no -ss to kiss. Ron

Current time is 11:54 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Planning Visit to San Carlos with Family Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems