San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > A recent news feature about Guaymas/San Carlos

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
A recent news feature about Guaymas/San Carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 6th, 2017 06:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
happy camper

Mana: 
What comes at my mind first are the much better road conditions . When we drove down over 20 years ago we had a two way highway , it was so scary to drive any big RV at that time. Guaymas has improved a lot since then , starting with the roads again and many more stores there have opened since then also the same in San Carlos . At that time for your weekly big shopping one had to go to Guaymas to find most what you needed, not today anymore. More entertainment here in San Carlos then at the time .Those are just a few , most likely i could find other ones like the city and San Carlos are so much cleaner today. :):):)

Last edited on Thu Apr 6th, 2017 06:32 am by happy camper

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Apr 6th, 2017 11:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
IronMan

Mana: 
happy camper wrote: What comes at my mind first are the much better road conditions . When we drove down over 20 years ago we had a two way highway , it was so scary to drive any big RV at that time. Guaymas has improved a lot since then , starting with the roads again and many more stores there have opened since then also the same in San Carlos . At that time for your weekly big shopping one had to go to Guaymas to find most what you needed, not today anymore. More entertainment here in San Carlos then at the time .Those are just a few , most likely i could find other ones like the city and San Carlos are so much cleaner today. :):):)I guess I never considered living in a big RV as being a resident and my fondest memory is the first time we drove there (1962) from Guaymas on the dirt road that took 45 minutes in a pickup. Shopping and entertainment were never on my list of "important features". Even when we had the house and stayed there 50% of the time, I was bringing most of our staples with me from the states, and the SOC is all the entertainment I ever needed. Sounds like you just need a nice RV park ;-)

Posted: Thu Apr 6th, 2017 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
IronMan wrote: Curious as to the changes "that were good"; changes that made something better for you than it was when you moved there?
Rereading my post, I apologize if I sounded like I was saying that the OP was applauding development. I placed sea cargo in Guaymas for years, and it is my understanding that only "small" ships can stilldeliver there, not the big ones that require more depth and turning space that dominate the shipping market. If Mexico wants to create jobs related to the port, agricultural is really the only labor intensive industry that I can see to foment that for the delivery of grains and cotton, where tomatoes and most everything else needs trucks to arrive on time. 
The idea that Guaymas could actually help Long Beach to free up cargo is not an economic reality imo, as other port expansion sites like Colonet or Ensenada never got off the ground, and they were a lot closer to population centers. 
As far as what has helped San Carlos, getting a Bank, a larger supermarket, the BF Pharmacy, more doctors and a clinic and an upgraded Marina complex were commercial ventures that have helped me enjoy SC more than when I was here in the 70's.

Posted: Fri Apr 7th, 2017 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
hobiecat

Mana: 
I am "the guy on the beach from AZ". We were walking along minding our own business when the official University of Arizona vehicle pulled over and Lorraine Rivera accosted me. Attractive young reporter that I suppose most of you curmudgeons would have told to &%$# off!
I guess you people would have me say that San Carlos is ugly, the people are mean, there are too many problems, and don't come here.
There are people that operate restaurants, sport fishing boats, hotels, etc etc. that feed off of tourism. If your really cared about your community you would care about them.
I camped on Catch 22 beach 50 years ago when the dirt road was put in for the air strip. That does not mean that I regret the changes and don't want my grandchildren to come down and enjoy San Carlos as it changes.
Tourism is fleeting sometimes and to ignore the port as a source of employment and trade is shallow and irresponsible.
I stick by what I said. pues......
"Vamos a Mexico, nada de problemas aqui, la gente es muy amable, todo esta bien" I guess that is too positive for cynics. Mike Leed

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Limey

Mana: 
A quick reply to all the previous posts.... i gather that most are of the opinion that there is no need for shipping into Guaymas ??? The infrastructure is weak, but a larger shipping port would benefit many locals...in many ways.. jobs,money spent from those jobs at stores and shops ect...ect...   WELL, just remember all the things that make your stay in Mexico/San Carlos tolerable came from shipping...most of you shop at Wal Mart/Sams/Home Depot...for things not available locally...    Take away all the improvements of the past 10 years and most of you would not be here:dude:

Posted: Fri Apr 21st, 2017 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
bushbrada

Mana: 
I agree on all of your points. Back in the mid seventies I remember when Cabo San Lucas' marina consisted of 2 Bertrams and 1 Hatteras moored mid channel by the old cannery. Those sport fishers were all from  NEWPORT BEACH.........that was the Marina then. Comes "The Giggling Marlin" with 20+ screens turned the street into a ONE WAY and they were off to the races.  Now, you can't see the shores because of the buildings. Progress???  I guess, but I won't go anywhere near Cabo for sometime now.
San Carlos is easy to get to from Oro Valley where I live so it's easy for me to throw a fit and drive down.  NO RESERVATIONS NEEDED. And no fingers in my po po! When they get finished with Mex-15 it'll be even nicer............for awhile anyway.

Posted: Fri Apr 21st, 2017 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
bushbrada

Mana: 
There is no escaping escalating prices.......anywhere! However, they do move a little slower here in Mexico.  Love the one you're with and enjoy the journey!

Posted: Fri Apr 21st, 2017 11:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Hee, Hee, Hee... RIGHT ON Jimmy! You REALLY nailed it! I arrived on the scene in 1984 when Shangri-la was in full swing; Georgio had started Tecalai Park; Loma del Mar hadn't even been thought of yet; Ranchitos lots were going for US$1,500 to $2,000; waterfront lots on Manglares were an exorbitant US$5,000 to $8,000; Marina Real was an estuary; Club Med was just starting; the Catch-22 airstrip was still viable (a real missed opportunity there!) and the Terraza and Paradise restaurants were the "go to" dining spots. La Roca (Charley's Rock today) was also there with it's wonderful views and dirt parking lot in front. So yes, it was wonderful back then, and it would have been nice for it to remain the same BUT BECAUSE it was wonderful, ya'll came, and regardless of the naysayers, I WELCOME you!! I welcome you because you are in inevitable result of growth and progress due to the beauty, views, fishing, beaches, diving, snorkeling, etc. & etc. You caused an increase in property values, a good thing; better shopping; a four lane road coming in, (eight in places) and yes, water and sewer infrastructure problems and a few other issues. So be it... it comes with progress and will be dealt with in time. Tuesday 4/25 at 11:00 AM we have a Town Meeting with the Comisario on just these issues. I urge one and all residents to attend the meeting to be held at Charley's Rock street level meeting room. See ya'll there!!

Last edited on Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 12:12 am by Richard Baca

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
This will probably sound crazy, but I believe it is the Mexicans that have discovered San Carlos, and much of it's progression can be attributed to them.

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 03:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I agree

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Yes, more middle and upper income Mexicans have and are discovering San Carlos! This weekend all of the hotels are at capacity. There's not a room to be had that wasn't previously reserved; likewise most condos and many rental houses are occupied by Mexican renters. The beaches may not be as saturated as during SS, but you'll see lots of people out there today and tomorrow. And from now through summer 'till the kids go back to school, the weekends will be crowded with Mexican tourists. Like it or not, this is evolving progress.

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
do the regulars see the mexican nationals coming on weekends as a plus or a minus for san carlos

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
It is a minus for me but it is what it is. Business people were tired of waiting for gringos to come back in large numbers. Can't blame them. It is not so bad, just different. It it gets too bad, I will move on. Complaining won't change anything.

Posted: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
a definite plus!  I love summers in San Carlos!

Current time is 07:02 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > A recent news feature about Guaymas/San Carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems