San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bruglaries/Home Invasions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I think we have a lot of very poor people in Guaymas who are facing a tighter economy in coming years. If we had the same thing next to any USA population center of older retired people that are easier targets, burglaries would be a problem there too.

I believe that the police respond as fast as they can, from wherever they are patroling. And I also think that we get pretty much in consideration of what we pay for, as a $200 a year property tax bill is a lot less than the $6,000 I pay in California.

Most of us not being able to speak the language correctly, especially under duress, might also have something to do with response times.

My wife was in a fender bender with $5K in damage on an off ramp on Hwy 101 in California 3 years ago, and she waited an hr for a volunteer to show up, as the Ventura PD would not send a paid patrol car at 2 in the afternoon, so everyone has a story, I guess.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 04:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
john, my post #10 agrees with you.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 01:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
johnmoore wrote: I feel this thread would be better served, if the focus was on prevention and how to handle any situation that might arise. Prevention meaning any preparation or deterrent that makes ones house a formidable problem for anyone trying to burglarize or rob you.
Well, I think it is worth discussing whether calling the police is an option for ".....prevention and how to handle any situation that might arise." 

Some who are ignorant of the ways of the municipal police in Mexico, may have a false sense of security, with respect to their presence. To me, calling them is not an option. Elements of the SC police force were known to have been involved in a burglary ring in several homes in SC. No victim ever got anything back;  gee, I wonder who took possession of all that stuff in police custody? They stonewalled every attempt to have possessions returned, even when people had legitimate proof of ownership. 

Why would I want to call them and have them looking at all my possessions?

There is now word that the woman, after assaulting and robbing some guy in his home, was captured by the police, paid a "fine" (LOL!), was released...........and had begun knocking on doors in the same neighborhood she was captured in. A neighbor who recognized her as the assailant of the neighbor, called the police.

They never showed up. Or so the story goes. Believe what you want.

I dont know what the solution is. You can't arm yourself. You dont dare do anything that might involve yourself in the "legal" system down here. That's a no-win situation. The perps know our fear of that. Yet, they can walk with a "fine". 

Law enforcement is refusing to do anything until she is apparently caught BY THE POLICE , red-handed, even though there are multiple witnesses to her crimes. Yet, their response time is somewhere between time-enough-to-let-the-perp-escape and........... never. 

This woman sounds really dangerous to me. Probably a meth freak. She's going to eventually assault some elderly person and they will end up mortally wounded and nothing will happen.

But the police will continue to drive up and down Beltones with their Xmas tree lit up..............

Last edited on Mon Feb 20th, 2017 01:51 pm by Hook

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Trying to help people get to the point, where that call to the police will not be necessary.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Not advocating, but you might as well know the law -

Mexicans can legally purchase one handgun (up to cal .38) for home protection, while members of hunting or shooting clubs can acquire up to nine rifles of no more than .30 caliber and shotguns up to 12 gauge.

I don't know about temp or perm residents legally owning a handgun, but I know several perm residents with rifles & shotguns. And several residents with handguns brought here in the '80's and '90's.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Santino

Mana: 
We called the police when some people showed up at our vacant neighbors house at 2am in the morning last year. They were there easily within 10 minutes. We were impressed.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Hook

Mana: 
The problem with firearms is that, even if you possess one legally and use one legally to defend your property, you stand a good chance of ending up in the judicial system down here. And that's NEVER a sure thing. And that's never a cheap thing. And that's never a quick thing. What is "legal" in Mexico is always a moving target; at the whim of the authorities, rather than the letter of the law. I dont think it's worth the risk.

One thing that could work is getting one of the local newspapers in Guaymas involved. If enough victims agreed to be interviewed about how they have identified her during the commission of the crimes, yet the police let her walk, it may put pressure on the mayor and police to actually do something about this.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
A mexican friend of mine spent 2 years in prison, bribed his way out, after shooting a burglar in his home. The guy got out wounded, and the friend put a 3rd bullet into him on the sidewalk outside his home, killing him.

Even a man defending himself with his fists against a woman in his home can be dicey, so its a bad situation if you don't secure your home to prevent burglaries when you are home, and have insurance when there and when you are away.

I sure would like to see the Federal statue that says you can now legally buy a pistol in Mexico for home defense. I have registered many rifles and shotguns for $1 peso each with the military in HMO, but buying, transporting ammo or the arms is still illegal unless you are registered through a gun club for hunting and target practice. So an leniency on pistols is news to me.

Posted: Mon Feb 20th, 2017 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Dogs are a pretty good deterrent.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to take a number of the abandoned dogs off the street place them in homes of people who want them as protection, possibly as a rental. Then, if there was some way that they could remain on properties, even when people went NOB for the summer, they could continue to have a bit of a home. A caretaker could rent out dogs and clean up after them, feed them, of course. I think it would be more effective than a security service. And it would kill two birds.

But the logistics would be daunting.

There's two ideas, John. Get the press involved and get the dogs involved.

I'm done complaining about the police. If we cant get them to enforce traffic laws, they certainly arent going to be all over confronting burglars and/or robbers, unless higher-ups force them to. They aint gonna do it because the gringo community is up in arms.

Last edited on Mon Feb 20th, 2017 08:53 pm by Hook

Posted: Tue Feb 21st, 2017 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
I'd love to have a pistol here, but if it's every used, you're going to be so screwed it's not worth it. Bring down a large canister of pepper spray, it will deter 99% of any issue's you'll run into here.

Posted: Tue Feb 21st, 2017 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i am a registered gun owner and licensed hunting guide here in mexico!i do not recommend anyone who does not have firearms training to own a gun,  much less to defend themselves with one! 
lets get some facts straight;
* you can own as many registered guns as you want! 
* you can only transport 10 guns at a time
* no military calibers rifles or pistols 
* you can own pistols .22, 38spl., .380, calibers
* to register guns in your name you must be a member of a hunting or gun club

* your transportation permit must be renewed annually
* your club membership renewed annually
* rifles and shotguns and .22 pistols are registered as hunting guns and the transportation permits state that.
* pistols 38spl. and .380 are registered as competition guns and the transportation permits state that 
if your neighborhood is having problems start a neighborhood watch program.
get a dog or dogs!!!!

Last edited on Tue Feb 21st, 2017 02:03 pm by frankiej

Posted: Tue Feb 21st, 2017 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
This gets weirder all the time. Just read a first person account on Viva, of another home burglary. We (gringos) are a kind and compassionate people, but somewhere along the line, common sense needs to kick in. We seem to be doing things here we would never do at home in the States. With all the exposure this issue has had, we need to be taking some of it to heart, and at the least fortify your homes and don't let strangers in. What is the status of the Office of the Comosario here? Do we have one. If not can an appeal be made to the President of Guaymas to appoint one, either full time or on a temporary basis. With this we would have a place to take our grievances to.

Posted: Tue Feb 21st, 2017 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
aligato

Mana: 
Hook, What a horrible life for a dog, no human/other dog contact, locked up behind a fence so some gringo can have security....totally disagree, get a security company, they don't poop all over your yard!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 21st, 2017 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
It's your home and it's your property.
Dogs, big dogs. and a motion sensor high beam tracking and spotting lighting system set above their height. Perhaps even a claxon horn to go with the spotlights. She may come through or over the fence but once all hell breaks loose in the yard she will move on to better hunting grounds. Your neighbors will thank you as well.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 12:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Hook

Mana: 
aligato wrote: Hook, What a horrible life for a dog, no human/other dog contact, locked up behind a fence so some gringo can have security....totally disagree, get a security company, they don't poop all over your yard!!!
The value of a security company is useless, outside of the limited value of a sticker being displayed, if they wont enter your property without the police being there, first. And that's what I've been told, they do. There is no armed guard response from Cyberco, or so the customers I know, claim. They wont confront the perps, or so I am told. In fact, one customer told me that a Cyberco employee told him that their main function was to make sure that the COPS didn't take anything while they were there to investigate. Made sense to me.

OK, then, just let the abandoned dogs in San Carlos die on the street. Shelly and I just took one that died in the street out to the hills this week. It laid there for 24 hours. It had been hit by a car or attacked by something. Blood everywhere. 

I think that's far worse than having a yard to live in and a couple meals each day. Not all dogs get homes and human companionship in Mexico. Look how many Mexicans with vacation homes leave dogs inside their compounds. We've fostered about 15 so far, but many more never get that chance. This idea gave them somewhat better conditions.

There are SOOOO many puppies right now in the Ranchitos that have no homes. The most I've ever seen. So sad, but we can't foster any this year.

I'll concede, there must be better ideas out there than rent-a-dog. I just thought it might be an idea that solved two problems. 

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Worse than that are the inconsiderate dog lovers who let their mutt shit all around the neighborhood and don't pick it up. So we get their shit and their barking, as it doesn't stop at their fence.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 02:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
I like the rent a dog idea. A security company with trained dogs. Drop the dogs off in the afternoon and pick them up in the morning. Pick up some of the San Carlos strays, house them, feed them, train them and put them to work. The dogs don't have to be vicious. Just loud.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Old foul mouth nice guy must have gathered his family around to watch him write crude posts on the San Carlos Forum.....just sends a tickle up his leg. If he sends me a PM, as is his habit, I will post it this time for all to see.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Just to say that we have some little mutskies locked up behind or in front of a fence. They are alert artists, moreso than most motion lights. They are family,not prisioners but protected by the fence. They are happy and healthy guardians of 3 to 10 pounds. Not big enough? Try entering or crossing our yard without one of us?! These little companions actually improve the outlook of most seniles, plus you will live longer. Ynot

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
nice positive post ynot!  most who have dogs love and care for them!

Current time is 09:07 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Bruglaries/Home Invasions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems