San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
The Edge is closed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2017 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
aligato

Mana: 
Looks like specialty beer was not enough, The Edge is closed and the building is available for rent.....any takers out there???? Maybe a new office for Paradise Air and RV Tours and Rentals???

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jan 20th, 2017 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
This is the iteration AFTER the brew pub closed - something of a jinxed spot .....
:(

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Went there a year and a half ago and my kid ordered nachos.

They literally plastered it with the cheapest runny cheese possible. The stuff you buy for 10 cents a gallon. Servers were horrible.

In my entire time in SC I thought it was the worst lunch we ever had by a wide margin.

So, in sum, not surprised they are out of biz.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
These recent folks have only been there a short time , 12 months ago is 3 operations ago !

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
The place looks nice. There seems to be more than enough parking. So what is the problem? The food? The price? The service? The promotions?
What happened to the others?

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Rod and Cathy still own it?

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Pretty sure they sold building couple years back , can't think of Fellas name who bought it but he opened it up , then closed , then brew pub rented and closed , then the last operator rented and closed ...   :(

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
Their ad is still up on What's up. Sorry to see them go. The first time we went it was wonderful. 2 years ago and how many iterations? Really sorry I missed the brew pub. Would love to find a hoppy beer here. I wish the new renters buena suerte. I'll give them a try, whomever they may be.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
How is it posible to go ouit of business selling beer in Mexico.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Hook

Mana: 
bachrachj wrote: Their ad is still up on What's up. Sorry to see them go. The first time we went it was wonderful. 2 years ago and how many iterations? Really sorry I missed the brew pub. Would love to find a hoppy beer here. I wish the new renters buena suerte. I'll give them a try, whomever they may be.
The brewpub beers were REALLY good, but he could not come close to keeping up with demand. He was brewing only 10 gallons at a time, and would often sell out in 2-3 days, then have none for days. The turnaround time was a minimum of 10 days, and three weeks was preferred. I think he only had capacity for about 30-40 gallons brewing at a time. He THOUGHT that a price of 50 pesos for 12oz (the most expensive beer in town;  remember, the peso was at about 17/1 at the time he opened) would limit consumption. No way! The beer was too good. A couple of dedicated artisan beer drinkers would gladly pay that price, all day long. Three US dollars for 12oz of craft beer? Line 'em up!!!!

And, let's be honest. With how lackadaisical drunk driving laws are in Mexico, one could sit there and drink theses 6%+ beers and not really worry about getting pulled over on your way home. That's far different than in the States, with $6.00 US beers and .08 BL content. That's a big limit on consumption that didnt exist down here.

Of course, I don't condone drinking and driving in ANY country. ;)

He had great pizza, too. Dough from scratch, mesquite-fired pizza oven and good ingredients from the States. But, without that beer, well, it wasn't to be.....

The selfish, beer-loving side of me wasn't THAT sorry to see the brewpub close. As he is still brewing, I am back to drinking for free, occasionally, instead of paying the 50 pesos. LOL! But not as often as I'd like when he was selling, of course.

I have drunk craft beers all over the West;  all over Colorado, the Salmon River breweries, Washington and Oregon and quite a few California breweries, too. I've had a few bourbon-barrel aged Imperial IPAs in the top 50 on Beer Advocate. His lineup was as good as I have ever tasted. His Imperial IPAs would give Pliny the Elder a run for its money. Also a tremendous pale ale and a killer chocolate stout. He was always experimenting, and they were almost always great. A Belgian saison here, a Porter there. This was small batch beer that was closely monitored. Meticulously crafted beers. Of course, the freshness also made them great. They had no chance to get stale. Not with friends like me around.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
aligato

Mana: 
Maybe he should have purchased all the brewing equipment the Country Club Golf Course has sitting there doing nothing in the Caddy Shack???

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
He opened up a craft beer brewery with capacity to gross less than $1200usd every 2 weeks?

2 week usd gross = ((((40 gallons of 2 week production * 128 oz to a gallon) / 12 oz per serving) * $50 mxn per serving) / Exchange Rate)

My formula allows for zero waste, so it's flawed.. but he would have known that in his own calculations.

Pity... I was looking forward to trying a couple when I head up to San Carlos mid February.

Hook, Regarding Caddy Shack stuff? What are the prospects for neglected beer brewing equipment like that? Is it easy to put back in service?

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Hook

Mana: 
He had brewery guys who knew a lot more than him, come down and look at all that stuff Lenny has and they couldnt figure out what that stuff was for. Believe me, he researched it.

That's all I know, when I asked him about it. I'm decidedly on the consumer end of the equation.

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 02:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Hook

Mana: 
odwyerpw wrote: Rod and Cathy still own it?
I think Rod and Cathy sold it somewhere around two years ago. Maybe more.

The ownership path went Rod and Cathy owning (with Kurt managing) to a lease to Philippe, to a sale to a guy named Roger, who then rented it to my friend. He was let out of the lease after about four months, only to have Roger lease it to the guy running the ATV rentals. Now that lease has apparently ended. I assume the ATV rental is still going?

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
So the brew pub went down for lack of a workable business plan?

Posted: Sun Jan 22nd, 2017 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
VSC, do hope you will do some research on your hypothesis and get back to us......

Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2017 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
It sounds as if an operation that could meet demand could make it here. How does a license for brewing go in Mexico? How much would you need to supply Hook's demand alone? I'd be sitting right next to you, so double that and then there are other hopheads I've met here who are lamenting the lack of a full bodied, hopped up malty beverage. Hmm...

Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2017 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
TONY ABQ

Mana: 
I have a close friend who is a master brewer and he has been to San Carlos now three times. We have actually kicked the idea around of brewing for all restaurants in sc not mess with opening a place and deal with all the other problems that exist. My friend Makes a coconut porter that is absolutely delicious. What's people's thought on a local craft beer?? Any ideas how difficult to ge something started? In the meantime I will continue to drink his beer and share with some :) 🍻🍺

Last edited on Tue Jan 24th, 2017 06:39 pm by TONY ABQ

Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2017 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
hans

Mana: 
The bigest Problem is to get a Permit. The big Beercompanies here dont like that Idea.

Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2017 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Hook

Mana: 
hans wrote: The bigest Problem is to get a Permit. The big Beercompanies here dont like that Idea.
That is really the gist of it. Sonora and/or Guaymas wants to charge a local brewer, producing 1/10,000 the quantity (or less), the same amount for a license to produce, as the big boys.

Baja California Norte has some type of tiered licensing. It's realistic. That's one of the main reasons that the micro-brewery business has exploded over there. That, and the proximity to San Diego, which has become a bit of a Mecca for micro-brews.

This is why my friend was forced to produce under a restaurant license. He tried negotiating through a Mexican attorney, to no avail.

Current time is 07:36 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > The Edge is closed Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems