San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Gasoline to go up 20.6% in January!

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gasoline to go up 20.6% in January!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
According to today's El Imparcial the price of gasoline will rise 20.6% in January! This is Mexico's way of collecting income tax since everything, including most electricity, moves or is run by fossil energy! SHeeeSH!! 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
390pony

Mana: 
What about diesel?

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 08:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
lasninas

Mana: 
Wow, that is a massive increase!

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
bummer

Posted: Wed Dec 14th, 2016 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Richard Baca wrote: According to today's El Imparcial the price of gasoline will rise 20.6% in January! This is Mexico's way of collecting income tax since everything, including most electricity, moves or is run by fossil energy! SHeeeSH!! 

Do you have a link Richard? I searched google and Imparcial in Spanish and all I see are the past stories when it went up in June and August.

Posted: Wed Dec 14th, 2016 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"The attendant at Pemex also told me 20% yesterday, jokingly? Said the politicos need more money?? Ynot

Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2016 01:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Still no news I can find on the internet.

Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2016 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Yeah, where's the link to the story? I can't find it, either.

My wife says she wrote down the cost of a liter of Magna when we arrived in early November and it was 13.47. We paid 13.98 yesterday. At Memo's station in both cases. That is already an increase of about 5% in about a month.

Very surprised that "de-regulation" of Pemex is leading to HIGHER gasoline prices, in a era of lower prices, worldwide.

Economics in Mexico are a head-scratcher, as ever.

Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2016 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
marlin master

Mana: 
This is a foto of one article. You will have to write down the link to get it.

Attached Image (viewed 165 times):

image.png

Posted: Thu Dec 15th, 2016 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Thanks for the link.

I read the story in spanish and they are claiming the the average price in the states is $2.94-3.13 per gallon, or about 16 pesos per liter at 20:1, and this is the justification that they are giving. The also state that the profits from Pemex are 38% of the total tax that Mexico takes in, as Richard stated, as another justification.

But it says that they are still deciding prior to year end if it will go up by 20%, and if the increase will be all at once, or over the year, if I am understanding it right. My bet is that they are waiting for public reaction to see what will fly, and that's why is not being published widely.

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
I am in Tucson at the moment and have seen regular gasoline prices from $1.93 9/10 to $2.05 9/10. QT's price is $1.95 9/10. Costco is $1.92 9/10.

Pemex is not deregulating. What they are doing is opening up deep water exploration and development to other companies with the technological expertise. Marketing and sales remain under Pemex control.

Last edited on Fri Dec 16th, 2016 04:44 am by

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 12:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Gasoline in Nogales Rio Rico is at $1.89 12/15. They must ask The Left Coast how much their gas is?

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Yes it sounded high to me too even with their higher IVA, even though California is usually about $0.80 higher than Tucson.

They might be anticipating that it will soon go higher world wide due to Opec's agreement to reduce output, even though USA drillers responded with 100K more barrels this month.

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
contez

Mana: 
$ 2.13 in Sacramento (CA). Today price. Not bad at all!!!
U.

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
It is my understanding that Mexico does not have much refining ability and they import a lot of their Gasoline from the US.---adding cost.

Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Richard Baca wrote: I am in Tucson at the moment and have seen regular gasoline prices from $1.93 9/10 to $2.05 9/10. QT's price is $1.95 9/10. Costco is $1.92 9/10.

Pemex is not deregulating. What they are doing is opening up deep water exploration and development to other companies with the technological expertise. Marketing and sales remain under Pemex control.

Well, call it what you want, Richard, but Pemex will not be the only gas stations in Mexico. It's more than just allowing exploration by Pemex.

Here is an article from May in the WSJ.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mexico-unleashes-gas-stations-from-pemex-1459469793

Since this article, I believe I have read that Phillips 66 is beginning to sign agreements with existing Pemex station franchise owners to supply them with fuel. I also believe I read that Exxon is also going to be doing it.

Last edited on Fri Dec 16th, 2016 08:02 pm by Hook

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 05:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
The gasoline and diesel we consume in Northern Mexico is U.S. sourced and has been for years. Filling up at an Exxon branded station in Guaymas though? Don't hold your breath!

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
So what if it is US sourced? That's simply been a convenience because there are no refineries up here and the US trades crude for refined fuels. It makes sense.

Anyway, that's all under the Pemex banner.

But that's changing..........

Hey, maybe we will even get accurate measures of fuel at the foreign stations!!! That would take a bit of the sting out of any increase.

Posted: Sat Dec 17th, 2016 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I believe that Pemex will still supply all gas to the american and Pemex stations in the future. They allow their own stations to make 4.5% on the fuel, after they pay shipping.

USA stations make a higher %, so this is why the individual gas station owners in Mexico bribe Weights and Measures officials to turn a blind eye to rigged pump controls. The problem here is with federal enforcement, not with Pemex.

So don't hold your breath on saving $$ while Pemex wholesale sales are controlled by the government, and the stations are controlled by private parties.

Current time is 12:33 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Gasoline to go up 20.6% in January! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems