San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > The end of an era at Algodones Beach?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
The end of an era at Algodones Beach?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
In the last week, I've heard from two sources I consider reputable, who claim that all the restaurants on Algodones Beach (Soggy Peso, Sunset, La Salsa, Bonifacio's, whatever Dunas became) have been told to close and will be razed. There was conflict in the timeline given. One source said they have to close by the end of January and one said by May of next year.

In the case of the May date, this information came to me from someone who has business dealings with one of the restaurants out there. So, it is third hand, to me. Pretty close to the source.

One different source (from that last one) also claimed that ALL the structures comprising the old Club Med/Paradiso will also be razed and that the owners will be building two towers;   presumably with condos for sale or simple hotel space. This info is from the owners of the new development, inland (north) of the Paradiso. The one with all the palm trees lining the entry road. Those owners relayed it to a prominent restaurant owner in town, who told us over dinner at the restaurant.

What have others heard? If any of this is true,  others must have heard something.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
It was really only a matter of time. The contracts signed/or agreements made between the new owners and the beach bars, from what I was told by reputable sources, were for three years from purchase.

Sooner or later it was bound to happen. I have heard that the beach will stay open for kite boarding access.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I had heard the three year lease story, too.

But one of my sources claimed that there was some new law that was passed in the last year that would allow the owners to break those leases. This source claimed the new law was ironclad; couldn't be gotten around.

If true, that would be first ironclad law I have ever heard of in Mexico. Seems there's ALWAYS a way around every law in Mexico.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
It has been almost three years hasn't it? Anyway the deep pockets with the political contacts/new owners could break the leases anytime they want I would think.

No way could the beach bars stay out there forever. Look what happened to the beach bars down in Tenacatita. This transition will be far more orderly i reckon.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, I heard the three year lease story less than a year ago, IIRC. The Coppel's have certainly not owned it for three years, have they?

I confess to losing track of time, as the years advance.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Those five restaurants generated a decent amount of money for Guaymas I'm sure. Take in money from out of town tourists primarily and give it to local employed folks. Too bad.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
If they're closing the Nightclubs out there, I don't think its a bad thing. When they opened a few years back it really changed SC from a sleepy town to party destination for college kids. Lots of car wrecks and disorderly kids into the night. Boy does that make me sound old.

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 03:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
I had heard that the soggy peso and sunset were going to be allowed to stay. I hope so, as we love to spend time there on the beach and have lunch. The shrimp quesadillas are awesome!

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Snuffy wrote: I had heard that the soggy peso and sunset were going to be allowed to stay. I hope so, as we love to spend time there on the beach and have lunch. The shrimp quesadillas are awesome!
Those are the two I would miss the most. Great ambience at both, yet very different.
Still hoping the "cactus telegraph" will turn up something more concrete about all this. 

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Deadsticks

Mana: 
If they arent careful they are going to turn San Carlos into Rocky Point!  Tear down Soggy peso and sunset (two bars that are a good destination) to build condos that they will never fill!  Great Idea!  Not so much!  There are condos all over rocky point (from what I am told) that they cant sell because the demand isnt there!  San Carlos maybe different but it makes me sad because I love hanging at soggy peso.  Now where is there a place to hang out on the beach? 

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
The nightclubs have changed it for sure, but the Peso is an icon. Peso Lives Matter!

Posted: Thu Dec 1st, 2016 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
JZ

Mana: 
azbandit66 wrote: When they opened a few years back it really changed SC from a sleepy town to party destination for college kids. Lots of car wrecks and disorderly kids into the night. Boy does that make me sound old.
This is a ridiculous comment.  SC has always been a party town for Hermosillo and Guaymas. 

First day I ever came to SC we went to 1910 and there were thousands there.

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
maryt

Mana: 
JZ is right. There have been nightclubs attracting young people to SC for a long time. Tequilla´s was/is one. We lived right next to The General which had been Rama Rama before that. Los Jitos has/had a nightclub that gets a lot of young people. They might not have been on the west side but they were and will be here.

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jordy

Mana: 
When I first moved my boat to SC back in 2009, I was on the Tequila's side of the marina and the morning after weekends were always a disaster. Beer cans, bottles, trash, shit, toilet paper, puke, and worse, all over the place, often on vehicle bumpers. It didn't break my heart to move the far end of the other side, behind gates. Got really quiet over there.

None of that carried that far west that I ever saw. Peso shut down at dark and Cotton Club wasn't a party destination.

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
japasp

Mana: 
I agree. Also, Bonifacio's , in my opinion, is the nicest dining facility in SC. When we have guests in town, we always have at least one meal there. I hate to see any of those places go.

Posted: Sat Dec 3rd, 2016 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Got some more information from one of the restaurant owners out there. Again, third hand. Each restaurant has a different date of closure. Supposedly, La Salsa is Jan.1. Bonifacio's is May 1.

No word about Soggy Peso and Sunset Grill. Maybe they will be allowed to stay. :D

Also, no word about The Restaurant Formerly Known as Dunas.

Posted: Sat Dec 3rd, 2016 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Caroline

Mana: 
If the rumors and third hand information is remotely true this will be a tragedy for San Carlos residents and me personally.  Visiting Soggy Peso was the decision point in me buying my property here 10 years ago.  It is so rare and special to have a laid back place like Soggy (and now Sunset) as a destination any day of the week and is a wonderful way to introduce family and friends to San Carlos.
The love and work Lisa, Frank and their teams put into running those two great places is to be commended.  Even though some people don't want to pay 20 pesos go through the gate out there this will be a HUGE, HUGE loss to me and many local residents.
What can we do as loyal Soggy/Sunset customers?  I could care less about the other restaurants out there and hope the Coppell's can see how much charm and atmosphere Soggy/Sunset add to Algodones Beach and our lives. 

Any ideas anyone?

Posted: Sun Dec 4th, 2016 07:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, we really dont know for certain that the Peso and Sunset have been given notice. There are a number of us who somehow got the idea that they were guaranteed they would remain, supposedly by some representatives of the Coppels.

Who knows?

Lisa and Frank do, I suspect.

Posted: Sun Dec 4th, 2016 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
I have had the opportunity to talk to one of the Coppels every few months (He's a kiteboarder.) I don't feel comfortable repeating what he tells me because I'm not sure that he wants his plans shared with the public. But, I feel certain that he will protect and improve the "beach experience."

Posted: Sun Dec 4th, 2016 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Caroline

Mana: 
OK Don, I can appreciate you not betraying a confidence.  I'll just keep sending postiivethoughts to the Coppell family and trust they are smart people.  They have certainly been successful, in fact I have a time share in their Mazatlan Emerald Beach Resort and it is atop notch place so I assume they have high standards.

Current time is 05:41 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > The end of an era at Algodones Beach? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems