San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Direct flights from Tucson to Guaymas

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Direct flights from Tucson to Guaymas  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
long time resident

Mana: 
In todays Arizona Sunday paper is a large article on the direct flights that are starting up between  Guaymas and Tucson.  Tucson is buzzing with the news, and commenting that this will open up San Carlos to a healthier real estate market due to the fact that many just do not want to drive there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
RichD

Mana: 
A link

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/san-carlos-hopes-to-be-next-all-inclusive-beach-mecca/article_12a44c1d-d04b-5c04-bf0e-9f7b37d47c61.html

Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
390pony

Mana: 
It's a very positive article, for a change. And, it's on the front page.

Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Sorry to be such a grump. But anything that will drive up the cost of living for we gringos and the Mexican locals who live here permanently is not good news.

Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Sorry to be a cheerleader, but anything that puts more traveler's pesos in the pockets of the local business owners and their employees in a tourist town has got to be good news.
We've been promoting San Carlos as a tourist and retirement destination since 1999. Best news we've heard in years.  Bring 'em on and hope this a roaring success.

Quoting from the article from Tucson.com:
"That’s good news for San Carlos hotel and restaurant owners, Sea of Cortez cruise operators, diving shops and fishing captains, all of whom are eagerly awaiting the influx of new visitors.

We could not agree more....

Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Bart: You don't live here full time. But many of us do. And many of us live here on fixed retirement income. We are NOT tourists !!! To be charged higher prices just because we are gringos is a big problem for me. A number of us give of our time to work with the Mexican community in many different ways. In my family, we are educators who teach full courses and ask no salary. To be overcharged is offensive to me.

To give you an example, the costs for a veterinarian in Hermosillo are HALF what they are in San Carlos (e.g. Vanessa). And to pay San Carlos restaurant prices (e.g. Blackies, et.al) that are greater than the USA does not garner my sympathy for some parts of the Mexican business community. 

These issues about the high prices of greedy businesses are shared by my Mexican colleagues. My housekeeper and gardener, for example, struggle daily with the local cost of living. So, this is more than just a gringo issue.  

I LOVE the Mexican people and the Mexican culture. That's why I live here. But, I'd be more tolerant of the idea of the push for gringo tourism if  some Mexican businesses would stop gouging we gringos. 

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 12:06 am by ballenamar

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
san carlos has always been a tourist destination! the prices have always been higher here than guaymas or emplame. it is not that far of a drive and the bus runs every 20 min.

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Got to disagree Frankie, if this is a tourist destination, it is now a Mex. National destination, and that is great. It has been on the skids for years as a NOB tourist destination. I for one, do not think SC will ever be a tourist destination. Too cold in the winter, too hot and humid in the summer. Therefor one needs another reason to be here. ballenamar states his reasons, and I would join him in those thoughts. Mexican National friends, the culture, the food, opportunities of service, the sea and all it offers, beauty of the area, pretty much in that order, are what my wife and I enjoy about SC and the surrounding area. I think the barometer should Club Med, if that didn't make it......well???

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
san carlos was packed this weekend and during the summer!
not all tourists are from NOB!!
i am an arizona boy! the same thing was said of phoenix, tucson and yes yuma!!

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
club med was a short lived fad of the times!! it was extremely poorly designed!!  the architect probably got his degree in a box of cracker jacks!   it can't be used as an example!! 
the property is now in good hands and i do not think those investors shelled out that kind of money not seeing a good return!
the demographics are changing in san carlos!!

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
maryt

Mana: 
frankiej, how are the demographics changing? From what to what?

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
dem·o·graph·ics

/ˌdeməˈɡrafiks/

noun

plural noun: demographics

statistical data relating to the population and particular groups within it.

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
8/15 years ago real estate sales where soaring with NOB buyers!  there was little or no financing here! some NOB's had deep pockets, some with homes NOB had lots of equity,  some choose to use that equity to finance there homes here!  9 years ago,  "one reason" was because of wall street making mortgages a commodity the world fell into a global financial crisis!  the dust still hasn't settled! 
today the largest percentage of sales are to the mexican nationals! 
it has only been about a year that the market here has begun to stabilize!  with houses still valued below their cost to build today!
there are a lot of wealthy mexican nationals who are not affected buy the dollar peso exchange and are buying up exiting real estate and filling the void!
that is the demographic change!  

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 03:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
post #6 , i believe the more people arriving here the more competition to the local businesses!   to compete many will be forced to reduce their prices!
we are seeing the high prices here because of a stagnate economy!  to survive many had to raise their prices!  businesses require the influx of money to remain open! that influx is coming and is welcomed by those of us who have an understanding of the workings of a healthy economy!
that said even when san carlos does have a healthy economy,  the prices will still be cheaper in guaymas and empalme that is capitalism! 
it is no different any where!  a steak from the same meat distributor in any restaurant is more expensive in north phoenix/tucson than in south phoenix/tucson!!

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 04:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
San Carlos has never been what could be considered a real tourist destination, and I see no indications that it could now become one. It's a great get-away-and-relax destination especially if one enjoys water sports.

Look at any popular travel destination and what it's taken to build it. An influx of government money - and I don't mean the piddly sums bestowed upon her when elected officials need to round up an entire population for enuf votes to be reelected. And is SC or is it not still Guaymas' little bastard sibling (to politicians, at least) the rest of the time?

Maybe if there was already a base of some sort that attracted visitors to unique features, it might help. A world class golf course with tournaments. A marine and wildife sanctuary that attracted both researchers and recreational divers. Bigger fishing tournaments. Newly discovered caverns, cultural centers, major sports teams, art museums, a birder' paradise, etc etc. ANYTHING.

The most important thing that's lacking, IMO, is tourism mentality. Visionaries devoted to putting SC front and center. PLANNED development. How about potable water for all? Personally, I'd set up a movie theater and show Catch 22 twice a day.

I'm not trying to be facetious. I Iove SC for what it is. And I'm grateful that it hasn't been torn up beyond repair every time some developer gets starfish, I mean stardust, in his eyes and hears cash register music every time he imagines folk flying in by the thousands each week, and all he needs to do is get the landscape covered in hotels and houses in time. OK, maybe that part is a tad bit facetious....

Point is, flights are hardly new. Nor is the pronouncement that SC is the next big tourist destination. I'd love to see businesses do well financially! I'd just prefer it comes from improved business practices - if that's what it takes - rather than wishful thinking.

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
post #15 your 4th paragraph key and most important words;

PLANNED DEVELOPMENT!

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 04:37 am by frankiej

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i am listening!  post #8 i have heard that mind set many times "to hot to cold"! 
post #15 your 2nd  paragraph "government money"! 
so lets make a comparison;
  when i was a kid lake havasu city and laughlin did not exist!  both are hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter!  but the river was the attraction!
then someone developed master plans,  presented them  for government funding!  then wham bam thank you mam!
destination communities that have less to offer than we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can assure you that there are indeed big time players in the shadows,  with that capability!
P.S.  san carlos has always had more properties owned by millionaires per capita  then any where else in sonora!  there is now a "new playing field" in the horizon billionaire property owners!  they are here!!  what does that mean for san carlos;  birds of a feather flock together!!

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 05:35 am by frankiej

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
San Carlos needs both residents and weekend tourists with more money to prosper. You cannot pay the help and rent M-F with no customers, and charge the same as Hermosillo where they have customers 7 days a week.

But it is what it is and there is nothing a few ol gringos can do to stop it. If SC gets too expensive, there is Kino, Guaymas and Miramar close by so everyone has options.

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Frankie, You have heard "too hot, too cold", before, because it is true. Too hot, too cold adversely effects the cost of living here. Those of us that have been here 30 yrs plus (and enjoyed most of it, all those yrs.) are here for other reasons, than the climate. I have no beef with speculators and developers, but unless monies comes here, like is found in Brunei, it is my opinion this will remain, the sleepy little pueblo (not for all place) that we all love so much. The real estate "progressives" want to create here, what is easily found elsewhere. This has been tried, and has failed countless times, over the years. If, as a consumer, I am looking for that kind of place, I will look in those places to begin with, ie: Cancun, Xtapa, Mazatlán, Vallarta, or even Rocky Point.

Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
john,  i agree with you as far as it being tried before!  we all see the failed projects left abandoned and deteriorating!!   
there is no question regarding the climate! 
so why was there failure??  the biggest problem was the complete lack of a "planned community" a "master plan"!!!  i gave valid examples of communities NOB that have less to offer than san carlos!  
the complaints of the businesses here price gouging are valid!!  but it is more than just the businesses!  
we all received our electric bills last week,  OUCH!!  there are 3 tiers levels for payment,  guaymas is charged monthly we are charged very 2 months!  why CFE knows we will fall into the higher billing tiers!  with most of us falling into the highest!
instead of organizing and doing something about it, we accept it!  just like we accept the price gouging of the local businesses!  
so who is to blame??   

Last edited on Mon Sep 19th, 2016 03:03 pm by frankiej

Current time is 11:42 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Direct flights from Tucson to Guaymas Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems