San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
P paradise airlines  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
281st Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
It is my opinion that the demand at this time is not sufficient for an airline to cover its expenses flying into Guaymas.  

What I have gathered from this thread is that Retired Grays (who live here part time and full time) want their kids to fly into Guaymas for a visit. Was there one post from a Tourist wanting to come to SC for a vacation?

I remember that before the Mexican "Drug War" violence was plastered all over the media in the US there were a lot more gringos in SC, and lots of locals were working. I remember also, several Tour Buses, full of Gringos, would pull into Marina San Carlos, each week, and load onto Garys' Boats for a sight seeing ride on the ocean. When I mention to people I talk to in the US that I live part-time in Mexico, They are Shocked that I am not Afraid to live or travel here. All of them are scared to death to even visit. I remember in the 60's and 70's riding the train from Nogales to Mazatlan for Spring Break. 

San Carlos, and Mexico has changed a lot, mostly for the worse. I think it has to do with NAFTA and the Influence the US exerts over Mexico to fight the Drug War. Before NAFTA there were plenty of Drugs available in the US and,  Mexico did not have the killings that they have now. Actually, Drug Violence in Mexico was nearly non existent. Because back then the Drug Cartels and the Politicians worked hand in hand. 

As much as I would like to see a low cost flight to SC, under the current circumstances in Mexico I can't see Guaymas getting flights. As was mentioned in a prior post, no business is willing to subsidize the flights.  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
282nd Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Know this is not relevant to now but years ago there was a AeroMexico DC9 that flew every day from Mexico City, La Paz, Guaymas, Tucson and then turned around and did the same thing back.  Eventually Tucson was changed to Phoenix for better connections.  That flight was always full both ways. I think the air fare to La Pax was 90.00USD.  Aero Mexico started having financial difficulties and a lot of their flights were dropped. I think the secret was the multiple stops that filled the plane.   Loved that flight and took it often.  Yes, the weather here and the fact that the streets are rolled up early except on weekends has a lot to do with trying to support an airline. 

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
283rd Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Back in the day (30 years ago) we had club med, and they were full. We had Fiesta Wayfarers, and that was 3 charter planes a week from BC. The town was hoping, and we had two airlines that serviced the airport daily. Cheap flights, always full, and it wasn't just grey hairs. We did not have the maquilas back then, but we had family members that would fly down , and MANY nationals that used the airline service also. If there were flights, they would be used, if they were not too expensive. Tucson is full of people from somewhere else, that do not like the cold. San Carlos is warmer. Many people here would fly down there, if there was a flight that was easy from the Tucson Airport. Trying to fill a large plane is just stupid. But a puddle jumper, or a plane that holds around 40 would be filled on a regular basis. 3 or 4 flights a week would be great, and as soon as they were up and running, they would be filled. The flight plan for Paradise air didn't make much sense, IMO

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
284th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Aero Mexico would start from PHx , land in Tucson, then Guaymas, and then La Paz, turn around, and do the same stops on the way back up. Made for a full day, one plane, a few cities. Everybody was happy.

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
285th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
In those days, AeroMexico was endorsing a language school that my wife and I owned. So, I had regular contact with AeroMexico marketing people. The message was always the same. The Guaymas part of the trip was never profitable. I heard regular talk about dropping Guaymas. What was profitable was tourists going to La Paz/Cabo and Mexico City bound business people.  LTR, in my days that flight ended in Mexico City.  Also I was told that the charter arrangement with the company who did the groupie vacations was profitable.

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 04:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
286th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Guess my mind is slipping...but just knew it started in Mexico City as flew it a lot...oh well. Seems like it might be  a long time before someone tries what Frank did......I just hope people get their money back and that a Mexican Airline decides to put us on their list in the future and you are right about a smaller aircraft.

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
287th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
When Mexico built its government sponsored mega resorts in Cabos, Puerta Valarta, Hualtulco, Ixtapa and Cancun, they also subsidized the airfare from most major aiports to these destinations, that don't charge the airlines as much to use these particular airports.

So I could go direct from LA to PV for $250, while the same origen to Hermosillo was $650 and more to Guaymas.

This was a deal that was done purposely to favor new investors over the older places that are now practically abandoned like Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo, Guaymas, Mazatlan, Altamira, Veracruz, etc. So how can Guaymas compete with that? Why would the airlines compete with their own flights carrying more traffic to fewer locations with better accomadations and airports?

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
288th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
To put all of this back on track on what's happening now and not what went on some years ago, I am publishing an email received from Paradise Air by a known member of our board who is going to remain anonymous at this point.

"I want to provide a detailed explanation on the delay in making your payment. The Guaymas air service program required a significant amount of funds to be placed in escrow as guarantee for the program. The funds for the coupon refund and reimbursement payments are in the same escrow account as the guarantee deposit for the air service. I have tried unsuccessfully over the past weeks to separate the funds (for coupon and reimbursement payments) from the deposit funds without having to liquidate the escrow account. Liquidating the account in total will require the deposit funds to be returned and cause a delay of the air service program just days ahead of the air carrier opening their reservation system for the Guaymas flights. 

I have tried to make other arrangements to keep the flight deposits in place to allow the program to go forward but I am not able to. The request to liquid the account to access the coupon refund and reimbursement funds will be ordered on Monday morning with funds being available quickly. I am continuing to work to get the guarantee funds reapplied to the program so the Guaymas program can go forward but the importance is on completing the coupon refund and reimbursement payments asap.

I will update again on Monday as to when your payment will be completed. 
Thank you"

This email message is dated January 28.

Posted: Wed Feb 1st, 2017 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
289th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Thanks for the update, Bart.

And I'd like to thank you for allowing this discussion on your board, without censoring it for monetary reasons. It's very valuable to have a forum that encourages discussions for reasons other than simple monetary gain. This airline is an important issue for this town.

Posted: Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
290th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Thanx.  Let's focus on the issues surrounding air service and not on climatic arguments on San Carlos.
Bart

Posted: Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
291st Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Bart: 

While I will always respect your wishes whether or not I agree with you. You offer us a great service. But, I do think there is a relationship between climate and consumer demand in Guaymas for an airline. For me, I see visitors from the USA diminishing simply based on the huge vacancy factor on residential property. With the peso devaluation, Mexicans who want to own a home here will build. I can't imagine why anyone would want to run an airline in and out of Guaymas to/from the USA at this time. AeroMexico thought long and hard before they pulled out despite the full loads. The Guaymas leg was never a good deal for AeroMexico except for charters. 

Permit me to reminisce. Years ago I did a lot of consulting in the USA but preferred to live with my family in San Carlos. I had a really good client in Tucson. That contract provided the funds I needed to build our home in San Carlos. I spent the week working in Tucson (the company paid for an apartment in Tucson). I was with my family in San Carlos on the weekends.The round trip airfare on AeroMexico was $US138. I did this for two years. Most of the passengers were tourists going to La Paz/Cabo or businessmen going to Mexico City. The minority of people who got off the plane to stay in San Carlos were maquilador executives, a few Club Med people, and fewer locals.

Last edited on Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 01:33 am by ballenamar

Posted: Sat Mar 4th, 2017 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
292nd Post
IronMan

Mana: 
IronMan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpTiqKkePY
If I have to hold my tongue any longer, I'll burst! This is the most comical string I have seen since the "new marina" accepting pre-payment for slips in the bahia....really!

Current time is 08:19 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > P paradise airlines Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems