San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Newton  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 1st, 2016 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RichD

Mana: 
Now just Invest 90E, the disturbance down South should spin up to tropical storm strength by the weekend and become Newton.  This one may track closer to mainland Mexico.  Too early to tell at this point but worth watching. 

Attached Image (viewed 785 times):

Capture.JPG

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Sep 2nd, 2016 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
RichD

Mana: 
This storm has a good chance of impacting the Sea of Cortez.  This is still in the early stages and sometimes computer models are not accurate but you can see that there is a possibility of some severe weather on the Baja.   If you are considering a fishing trip early next week, keep an eye on this.  Still designated Invest 90E.  Expect it to be TS Newton in a few days.  

Attached Image (viewed 719 times):

Capture.JPG

Posted: Sat Sep 3rd, 2016 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Richard, have heard from many, that we could be in for it (lots of rain) early next week. These were mostly Nationals who were citing reports they had heard. You got anything?

Posted: Sat Sep 3rd, 2016 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
This time of year you could have weather from sources other than hurricanes so I am not sure what they are hearing. The Mexican weather service seems to be pretty quick to pull the trigger on storm warnings. This storm has the potential of being very strong. Some models show it being around Cabo by Tuesday or Wednesday. Predictions at this early stage can be way off. Once it starts spinning it will become more compact and it's direction will be more predictable. Some computer models have Newton going up the SOC. Let's hope not. Should be better information by Sunday.

Posted: Sat Sep 3rd, 2016 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Thanks for that, keep us posted please.

Posted: Sun Sep 4th, 2016 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Manzanillo area is going to see lots of rain and flooding. Still unclear how strong this storm will get as it moves slowly North. I would advise making preparations for a major storm even if it does not happen. Some forecasts of steering conditions next week have the storm going West or Cabo but then crossing over the baja and entering the SOC. That would be maybe Thursday. It has not followed predictions so far so stay tuned to your favorite weather site.

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
RichD

Mana: 
National Hurricane Center now has a predicted path now that it is a tropical depression. Still not a named storm but it will be soon. Follow this carefully, this is the real deal.

Attached Image (viewed 584 times):

Capture.JPG

Last edited on Mon Sep 5th, 2016 12:27 am by RichD

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RichD

Mana: 
By the way, note that forward speed is predicted to pick up and impact to SC would be more like Tues night/Wednesday.

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 04:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Here comes Newton.  Forecast to hit Cabo on the nose.  If it wiggles a little East it will come right up the gulf.  Still a lot of variables but some bad luck could see it get very close to San Carlos.  Make preparations, this is not a drill.

Attached Image (viewed 581 times):

Capture.JPG

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 05:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ocean Camp San Carlos

Mana: 
Last year our hurricane season ended like this: I share the words of Jeff Masters, a respected blogger on major weather events:

“After growing extraordinarily quickly to Category 5 strength, and striking the Mexican coast less than a day later, Tropical Depression Patricia is rapidly dissipating--leading to one of the most abbreviated life cycles on record for any Category 5 tropical cyclone. At 11 am EDT Wednesday, Patricia was a minimal tropical storm, with 40 mph winds. A mere 36 hours later, Patricia packed winds of 160 mph, eventually reaching 200 mph--the highest reliably measured surface winds in any tropical cyclone on Earth. After 36 more hours (at 11 am EDT Saturday) Patricia’s sustained winds were back down to 35 mph. As with all tropical cyclones, Patricia’s landfall was its downfall: the hurricane slammed into rugged coastal terrain while accelerating northeastward, which quickly shredded its low-level circulation.”

There was more. Mexican government agencies acted very quickly. They evacuated people. They put all levels of emergency responders into action: Military, police, hospitals, utility companies… they used not only radio and television, but social media to alert the public of the danger. It was a huge mobilization of public and private resources. Hotels evacuated guests to more secure structures. The time-line was very short. bottom line: it worked.

Yes, Patricia made landfall in a sparsely populated area. But the mobilization and resources at hand were remarkable. That Patricia was one of the most powerful storms in hurricane history will be remembered. But the more remarkable aspect for me was about the accuracy of the forecast, and the astounding response of emergency crews. In place. Ready. —Mark

———— ————— —————

There are parallels to this coming event. The storm that is forming now has a name.

I'm not going to suggest what you should do about this storm. That job is for Mexican Government officials. But here is what I am doing.

I am boarding-up my windows with 5/8-inch plywood and 2X4 framing. I have a lot of glass across the front of my home and I live directly on the beach. I have a plan to leave my home if the storm is greater than a category 1 hurricane. I have purchased extra water, flashlights, batteries, candles, and basic foods that do not need cooking, nor refrigeration. I have filled my car with gas. I have gathered important papers, medications, and significant personal items and put them in two suitcases so that everything is ready to go if I need to leave my home. I have arranged for a safer place to stay, away from the ocean and storm surge if I need to evacuate my home. I have made arrangements to take care of my pets. I have been to the bank and have some extra cash if the ATM's are out of service for a week. I have notified friends where to find me and I have asked neighbors to check on my home if I am unable. That's a start.

I am taking these actions for my own peace of mind and I am basing this on my observations and past history in our area. You should find your own comfort level and do what you think you need to do.... and if on Wednesday of this week we all wake-up to a sunny and bright day and basically the storm is non-event? -- then great. At least I know that I am ready in case Wednesday is not so rosy.

Some other things I am thinking about. What if the electricity is out for days, as happened in past hurricanes here? Food in my freezer and fridge will spoil. I may not have a land-line phone that works. My cell phone will need charging and if electricity is off? How to do that? I may not have internet for communication, nor information about the storm.

I may not have air conditioning or even a fan -- and it has been over 100F recently. I may not be able to find ice. If the electric power is out regionally, will I have CEA water pressure? I know that many roads, including our major highway 15 has flooded in the past. It may not be passable without LONG delays for some days. I know many roads in San Carlos flood, and many friends and neighbors may be stranded. How would I find a doctor if I get hurt or sick? Do you have an ample supply of your prescription medications? How would I get reliable information about the storm and places to go for assistance?

These are some of my concerns tonight. I'm not being negative, but I don't want to be caught flat-footed either. I suggest that we all use common sense and take the actions to do what we think we should do -- and do it now.

Mark, Ocean Camp San Carlos

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
post #10 mark,  this is sound advice!!  i know those of us who experienced "jimena" are taking your advice!  the likely hood of the power going out even if just for short time is high!!  since jimena i have never let any of my vehicles even get close to empty,  i will be topping them both off today!  
many residential and business's are located in what would be NOB considered flood plain.  
during jimena i had over a meter of water flow through my office.  my office is located just behind telmex.
lets all be safe and secure!!

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
I'm hoping for a low impact storm but just in case I'll have my kites and surfboard ready. I would like to top off my tinaco but there has been no water on H street. Be safe, but enjoy.

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Always a good idea to make preparations. Newton is not forecast to reach hurricane strength but if it goes East of the cape all bets are off. Will depend on how much it weakens due to interaction with land. As we learned with Jimena, rain can cause a lot of damage even if winds do not reach hurricane strength.

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 03:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
http://www.weatherunderground.com  updated their forecast from 77 mm early this morning to 109mm at about 8:00 am.
they are forecasting 109mm tuesday and 20mm wednesday that is over 5 inches of rain in a 24 hour period!
i topped off my jeep CJ5 with gas and later today i will top off my cherokee!

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Latest advisory has Newton reaching hurricane status (barely) as it approaches Cabo. They will take a hit again. In recent storms the hotels in Cabo either turn off their webcams or show a nice sunny day so as not to discourage tourists. Sounds like people are taking this seriously which is good.

Posted: Mon Sep 5th, 2016 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
just went on http://www.eebmike.com  ,  there is good reason for concern!

Posted: Tue Sep 6th, 2016 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Now a hurricane, Newton is moving fast towards Cabo.  Make your preparations tomorrow if you have not already. 

Attached Image (viewed 514 times):

Capture.JPG

Posted: Tue Sep 6th, 2016 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Note that sustained winds over 60mph are possible near the eye but if the predicted track holds, expect 40mph+ winds coming onshore. There will be some storm surge and big waves. If you decide to go kiteboarding Don, be safe.

Posted: Tue Sep 6th, 2016 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Richard, as shown in post #17, on that same page top left, you will find an icon to click for potential rainfall. Have you studied that? What do you think?

Posted: Tue Sep 6th, 2016 01:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
when can we expect to start seeing rain??

Current time is 09:53 am Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Newton Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems