San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
importing vehicles  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2016 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Trade Winds

Mana: 
Looking to get some advice on importing our vehicles.  Has anyone recently completed the process that could answer a few questions for me?  Thanks in advance.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
I have about a year ago. You could only import vehicles made under NAFTA. The Vin had to start with a 2. You could only import vehicles 2007 and up. There were a ton of vehicles a couple weeks ago when I went through the border waiting to get imported. Sometimes they do stop allowing importing for months at a time. It cost me $2500 US to import a $5500 Saturn Vue. I don't think I would do it again. I only did it because it was for my GF who is a Mexican citizen and are not allowed to operate US registered vehicles.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 04:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
2 years ago i imported my 2001 cherokee. i used a service:
lic. Oscar Anaulo
Anco comercializordora
ancomercial@hotmail.com
USA cell 520 9885060
mex cell 045 631 1201015
it cost about $1000. USD he met me at mcdonalds in nogales ,az. about 8:00 am we drove to his office the process was completed at about 11:30

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 02:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
LeslieS

Mana: 
Highly recommend US Border Movers. I think they office at Siesta Realty.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Trade Winds

Mana: 
Thank you so much. Now I have a contact to ask about the process.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
RichD

Mana: 
With the current exchange rate, late model Mexican cars are very reasonable. With the hassle and expense of importing, it might be worthwhile to consider buying a Mexican plated vehicle. Cars used to be more expensive here, not true anymore.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 03:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
"importing existing vehicles or buy a used mexican car"?here is my take;
 if you already own the vehicle you already know it's condition!
i have the privilege of being friends with many mexican nationals from all levels of social and economic status!  one thing they all have in common is the inability or lack of knowledge to preform normal vehicle maintenance, shocks, brakes, windshield wipers and the most important oil changes, " motor, transmissions, transfer cases!!  
caveat emptor!!

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JZ

Mana: 
azbandit66 wrote: I have about a year ago. You could only import vehicles made under NAFTA. The Vin had to start with a 2. You could only import vehicles 2007 and up. There were a ton of vehicles a couple weeks ago when I went through the border waiting to get imported. Sometimes they do stop allowing importing for months at a time. It cost me $2500 US to import a $5500 Saturn Vue. I don't think I would do it again. I only did it because it was for my GF who is a Mexican citizen and are not allowed to operate US registered vehicles.
$2,500?  That doesn't sound right.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i know between the time i imported my car august 2 years ago, there was a stop on importation! he has begun again!i also believe $2,500 USD is a lot of money!
make some calls that's inexpensive to do!

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
    I am certain it was $2500. I did call around on the US side as well as in Mx. All the quotes were the same. At the time they had actually shut down importations and I had to wait a month till it reopened, they were only allowing vehicles made in 2006 and 2007 and made in a NAFTA country. I paid a few hundred extra because the vehicle had a 6 cylinder vs a four. My girlfriend is a attorney down here and see accompanied me through it all so I know the fees were correct at the time.
    Also a word to the wise, be very, very careful buying a Mx vehicle. Many are totaled cars from the US that were brought down to be repaired. You maybe have seen all the wrecked cars being towed across the border, more than likely they're going to get a quick fix and paint and resold to unsuspecting buyers..
     The safety and quality of collision repair in Mx is much less than acceptable in the states, this I have witnessed myself. I'm a professional mechanic and drove all the way to Hermosillo look at a newer Honda CRV, it took me about 20 seconds to see it was wrecked and we walked away.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Trade Winds

Mana: 
Wow! Guess buying a used car in Mexico presents the same risks as back home. At least I know the cars we want to import since I bought them new. Sent a message to the fellow in Nogales. Will also check with Siesta Realty.

Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
barato

Mana: 
totally aside from the aspects mentioned by Azbandit and Frankie, I wouldn't buy a used vehicle in Mexico just because the horrid roads down there just beat the carp out of vehicles. on a recent transit of MX2 through the Sierra Madre, I saw and occasionally hit potholes that were deep enough to swallow an antifreeze jug. MX15 is only a little better. I drive a 4WD truck and wince at the abuse it's taking; the condition of the undercarriage, body fasteners, electrical connections, and a jillion other things that don't like vibration and impacts is not going to be a happy long term thing. my 2 pesos' worth..

Posted: Wed Aug 3rd, 2016 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Trade Winds

Mana: 
Have noticed that many, or most Sonora plated cars do not slow down for potholes or vibrator topes. Those front ends must get beat to hell. Don't you just love the topes on 15 where a new school is being built on the west side. And there isn't a house within a kilometer. Go figure!!

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2016 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
moisheh

Mana: 
2 years ago the rules were different. Lately there have been moratoriums on any importing. You MUST deal with an honest reliable broker. There was a lot of cheating and if your papers are falsified the car will be seized. It is much more expensive today than 2 years ago. Also restrictive when it comes to age of vehicle.

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2016 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i believe the rule then and the rule now is the vehicle being imported must be at least 6 years old! when prices are discussed a lot is left generalized in regards to;
*  actual importation governmental fees 
* fees for services rendered 
* age and value of the vehicle! 
 that definitely makes a difference in the bottom line!  apples with apples, oranges with oranges

Posted: Sat Aug 6th, 2016 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Trade Winds

Mana: 
The trick seems to be finding an honest, reliable broker. This has not proved to be an easy task. Anyone have someone to recommend? 

Posted: Sat Aug 27th, 2016 04:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
AKsailor

Mana: 
I will be moving my boat from La Paz to San Carlos come winter/spring and am wrestling with car import questions myself.  I would like to settle it soon rather than gamble on "good news" when the freeze is lifted and new rules published in January.

1. My Nissan Pathfinder is supposedly not importable for both age and non-NAFTA, but one agent just quoted $3500 (70% of value); it's low mileage and good cond. but damn, that's a lot just to keep it!

2.  Exactly where are the boundaries of the "no-hassle zone" and what does that mean?  I've seen different maps for "Frontera" plates just past Puerto Penasco vs. the economic zone (prior 11% IVA) ending below Guaymas.  I've also heard that only Federale cops can even ask to check Permanente status.

3.  Hermosillo is big enough to have a lot of used cars for sale -- where do I shop online?  Viivanuncios and Craigslist seem thin.  Or does it require physical shopping?

4.  Can you find reliable mechanics to check out cars pre-purchase, or trust dealer warranties? 

Posted: Sat Aug 27th, 2016 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
danelo

Mana: 
The hassle free zone means you do not need to get a permit for your vehicle. It is good to the point below Guaymas. So if you do not plan to travel any further south or east of the San Carlos area you do not need to worry about importing the vehicle. I would get insurance though. It is fairly cheap if your vehicle is not of high value.

Here is the boundaries of the zone...

Attached Image (viewed 132 times):

hassel free.jpg

Last edited on Sat Aug 27th, 2016 01:25 pm by danelo

Posted: Sat Aug 27th, 2016 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
RichD

Mana: 
This is the most popular site for car ads. Mostly dealers though.

http://www.seminuevossonora.com/

Also try the Hermosillo classifieds

http://www.elimparcial.com/loseconomicos/

Posted: Sat Aug 27th, 2016 10:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Considering the purchase of a used vehicle in this area? I would only buy from a major brand dealer such as Nissan, Toyota, Ford or GM in Hermosillo. Not only do you get a mechanically checked out vehicle, but you'll also get a warrantee of at least 90 days and should be able to purchase an extended warrantee. The current exchange rate makes it very reasonable to those with USD to apply to the task. Good luck!

Current time is 02:13 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > importing vehicles Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems