San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
21st century ethics and values  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
fathers day 2016, i get a what's app text from my youngest son (28) at 9:19 am, who wishes me a happy birthday, realizes his mistake and wishes happy father's day.  at 10:04   i receive a text message from my oldest son (35),  saying happy father's day give me a call .  OK, i have vonage, it doesn't cost them a cent to call me!  i never received a phone call from either of them today! i do not get it!  for me it is more effort to write something ( a thought) than to verbally express it! (values)
which brings up the 2nd issue i have (ethics).  i just bought a smart phone a year ago, i learned how to text in spanish.  i was born in 1952 so i was proud of myself!
so this week i am scolded with a PM and from the monitor, not to use bold or capitalized letters or exclamation points, ( we hear you)! 
no one ever explained to me,  that our personalities are to change when we write,  we are to become monotone robots!  
no one explained to me that a text was just as warm as a phone call, hearing each others voices with inflections,  tone and levels that make us human!  someone please send me the rule book on ethics,  values and etiquette, some how i was passed bye!

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 09:49 am by frankiej

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
P.S. i do realize the font size i used !! i am trying to make a point and still be politically correct. not to use bold font of capitalized letters.  it is difficult for me to become mechanized! sorry about the exclamation points, i am still trying to learn.:(:?

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:35 am by frankiej

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
handlebars

Mana: 
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/a20640/things-father-taught-me/

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
handlebars, something happened out of my control.
maybe you can relate to this;  the movie" the searchers " staring john wayne.  in one scene wayne says to the comanche warrior;  "you speak pretty good american"  the warrior replies you speak pretty good "comache" . that's how he said it not how it is spelled!
OK, so i always  thought how ignorant,  we speak english.  it has only been the last few years i came to realize we indeed do speak "american". 
so the "kings english" has evolved since it came to the colonies. it is evolving as i write.
text english;  omg, lol, tmi,  so what i think? wtf.

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 05:00 am by frankiej

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice. 
Edited/added: Okay, Frankie - the issues of your sons and texting aside, the issue of font and size do affect the other readers of this forum. In my opinion it is far from a matter of ethics. It is about readability and that is the very issue that you seem to be trying to improve. Professional bloggers use either 12 or 14 pixel size and Georgia as a font. They do this to make reading their blog as easy and pleasant as possible. 
This post was written with what is listed as #3 size and the Georgia font.
If you find that it is too small you can adjust your browser to either temporarily or always increase the font size.

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 06:39 pm by kiteboarder

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
The text editor for this forum software is tricky.

I type one character. Then I highlight that character and change the font to Arial and the size to #3. Everything I type from that point forward stays in Arial #3. It's better for folks to read and it helps me as I type.

I used to use Verdana, but as I've gotten older the Arial is easier on my eyes.If I want a word to stand out, I will bold it.. but just one word or two (like the name of a Sports Team).

No one has ever told me it's an annoying or ill-mannered style, so I guess it's working.

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 09:04 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
kiteboarder, here is my response to your last post, in #3 Georgia font as you suggested.  
i think you may have missed what i was trying to address.   maybe what i am looking for is proper etiquette and my acceptance to the reality of this form of communication,  which now includes all electronic forms;  computers,  all application with in,  cell phones all application with in!  
i am fairly well educated.  when i grew up a telephone weighed almost 5 pounds you might have a party line.  the etiquette then was to yell at the neighbor kid to get off the line.  i know that for fact as i was yelled at all the time!
mail was not e-mail you had to place a stamp on it,  put in your mail box or take it to one.
the news came on at 5 or 6:00 pm once a day!  you received the news back then so there wasn't much time for their personal commentaries in the 1/2 to 1 hour segments they had.
the point i guess i am trying to make is THERE WAS HUMANITY IN IT!!!
i talk to people daily, sometimes for hours in english and spanish. know one speaks in a monotone.  they have real smiles and real tears not emoji's.
p.s.( emoji) , more text english, i had to look it up to spell it.

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 11:10 pm by frankiej

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 04:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Frank, I'm a 1944 model so I absolutely understand what you're saying. I guess if my kids texted me for father's day I wouldn't get it because I'm too illiterate in texting. Or being from Wyoming, just let me say they probably realize I'd pull a Toby Keith and put a boot in their butt, LOL.  I'm like you, old fashioned and love to talk to my kids even if they're also becoming ol' timers. Ain't it great?? Ron

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Frankie, I do know what you are trying to address. My point is that most of that has nothing to do with San Carlos. I would find it appropriate if this was your blog or a post on Facebook but it is not. 

By the way, I am older than you are. Also my 95 year old father sent me an email a few months ago to wish me a happy birthday. I didn't complain or whine to a bunch of strangers on line. I thought it was kind of cool. 

Oooops, now I'm doing it - writing personal stuff to people that I don't know. 

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 05:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
donald  you just don't get it, so drop it !  it wasn't about whining it was about what our society has become and what some have accepted as the new norm.  if i meet you i would shake your hand in greeting.  if we where to become friends and i hadn't seen you for a while i would greet you with a hug.  that's what it's about.  not shallow text's , emoji's .

Last edited on Tue Jun 21st, 2016 05:24 am by frankiej

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 05:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
maryt

Mana: 
¨P.S. i do realize the font size i used !! i am trying to make a point and still be politically correct. not to use bold font of capitalized letters. it is difficult for me to become mechanized! sorry about the exclamation points, i am still trying to learn.:(:?¨

Please explain to me what political correctness as to do with any of this.

Some older people resist change. My grandfather insisted for years that they did not need a telephone. When they finally got one, my grandmother was so excited she sent us home so we could call her. Your children thought of you, accept that as a blessing. One of my favorite people was in her late 80´s and sent e-mails. She had no idea how any of it worked but it was a tool to communicate and she took to it. None of this has anything to do with ethics. The forum moderator was explaining that how you type something does send a message just like tone of voice in a conversation does. He is right. I hate it when people use all caps. It does seem like I am being screamed at and nobody likes that.

No one is asking you to become mechanized anymore than your teachers were mechanizing you when they taught you to punctuate your sentences correctly. It is all to aid in communication.

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 01:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
posts #5 and #11, by definition; (Ethics),  or moral philosophy is the branch of philosophy that involves systematizing,  defending and recommending concepts of right and wrong  conduct.  what actions are right and wrong in particular circumstances.
i have acknowledged that i have to improve on my etiquette for the current standards!
i do find it a oxymoron that we are living in a spanish speaking country and we are arguing the etiquette of the evolving tech english, values, ethics.    

Last edited on Tue Jun 21st, 2016 03:39 pm by frankiej

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
maryt

Mana: 
The etiquette of not using all caps is pretty universal.

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
It may seem an oxymoron but the forum is owned by a US firm and is hosted and managed in the US (or wherever I happen to be at the time). Statistically, our US and Canadian visitor traffic is about 2:1 versus traffic originating in Mexico.

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
It may seem ironic but it is definitely not an oxymoron. Oxymorons are things like jumbo shrimp or military intelligence or deafening silence. It is when you use contrasting ideas together for a unique effect.

Also, nothing being discussed here is an ethical question. Ethics by Frankie's own selected definition is a moral philosophy and the decisions made based on that moral philosophy. I find no moral significance in what font should be used.

Last edited on Thu Jun 23rd, 2016 12:03 am by kiteboarder

Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 07:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
donald, not by my definition but of the dictionary!

Current time is 10:48 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > 21st century ethics and values Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems