San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
let's try something new  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 02:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
barato, if you litter your fined the law is all ready on the books, no enforcement!
i will buy water, contractor garbage bags, and kick some money to buy food if we can organize people to volunteer to clean it up! probably will need to be done several times a year! it can be a community effort we can all be proud of!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 02:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i would like to see "fern" & "carolina" 2 fine ladies involved with several civic activities here in san carlos, post events, activities, ect; for all here to read and be active in also!!!!

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
lasninas

Mana: 
There is a group called Clean Up San Carlos that started picking up trash this past winter.  They will start again in the fall when the majority of their volunteers return.  They did an awesome job and appreciate any donations such as trash bags, gloves, etc.  They have a Facebook page and you can find out more about them there under the name listed above.

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
lasninas, thank you!!!

Posted: Fri May 20th, 2016 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
barato wrote: Frankie and bullshipper, I DON'T think that more government intrusion or more criminal laws are the answer to litter. I hate it as much as you, but I come to Mexico to get AWAY from overbearing govt types (and self-appointed enforcers)....why would I want more of that?

once while staying at Caleta Julio villa, I picked up two whole 52 gallon contractor bags of trash. didn't say anything about it to the local guys from Hermo who were camping nearby....but they picked up all their trash when they left.....often, leading by example works better than Fiat From On High. IMHO.

Asking a couple of policemen to go to the public beaches for a couple of hours on sat and sunday afternoon to give a few tickets to the blatant offenders will make an immediate improvement, get the word out, and generate some dough for the towns coffers.
It will also improve the beauty, sanitary and environmental state of the beach, which is what draws people to our area.
I have no problem with anyone helping out with clean up, but these laws have been on the books with zero enforcement for years and the problem has grown instead of getting better despite the educational push on the TV and in schools.

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 05:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
mrmikek

Mana: 
I' in your camp Barato!

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 12:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
we have our own little "mayberry" here, i always describe san carlos that way! is it "los estranjeros" who are littering, i would say no!! most of the litter comes during the weekends and on holidays! most of the it is  alcohol consumption related! the containers, plastic bags, ect; 
so if the laws are enforced on those outsiders who come in on the weekends and holidays, how does that effect us, other than maintaining a clean san carlos?  
there are now G+ signs up all over, asking not to litter!
i don't understand what's wrong with enforcing the existing law, and for the litter that does occur we pick it up!in arizona we have an "adopt a hiway" program! it works fairly well!

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Blaker

Mana: 
8 mo gringo here . Soup/Salad bar be sweet.. now get ready for this a Mickey ''D''

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
most successful businesses have a business plan a formula a structured format! they know through demographic studies who the target market is! then they venture to put into place their business! sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't! what is sometimes not contemplated is competition! case in point several years ago two grocery stores came to san carlos! both stores thinking they would succeed! both stores designed for the volume needed to succeed! 6-8 cash registers, staff and stocked shelves! what both stores did not contemplate was that the stores where designed to have a minimal and maximum amount of volume to function at a profit! how many times have you seen the existing store with all the cash registers open?
this is a big problem for any business opening here in san carlos, with it's current economic status!
to succeed you need the minimal amount of daily traffic in costumers  just to stay in the black! 
our peak traffic for customers is thursday - sunday! the other 3 days are very slow! employees are hired for a 40 hour week! 
until we see more activity of people, residents/tourists 7 days a week, things will remain dismal!

Last edited on Sat May 21st, 2016 02:30 pm by frankiej

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Remember the old bus that was parked across from tequilas? Served the best lunches.
Fern, It would be great to see these services, but there are not enough people to support them. The need is there, but the finances aren't. Unfortunatly many that live in San Carlos do not support the locals. They bring in most of what they think they will need, and go to Wally world for the rest. It isn't cheap living in Mexico, like it was 30 years ago. I saw many locals trying to make it over the years, and couldn't because the money wasn't there.

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
TravelLover

Mana: 
bombero wrote: TravelLover, you may want to give Soya De Guaymas http://soyasancarlos.com/ a try. They have been around a long time, good folks, good reputation. They are across the street from what was Bananas.
Gracias, but I've stopped in a few times but they don't sell the health food stuff we buy! 

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
TravelLover

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: barato, if you litter your fined the law is all ready on the books, no enforcement!
i will buy water, contractor garbage bags, and kick some money to buy food if we can organize people to volunteer to clean it up! probably will need to be done several times a year! it can be a community effort we can all be proud of!

My kids and I CONSTANTLY pick up trash whenever we go to the beaches. It breaks their little hearts when they work so hard to clean up a beach, and then there's more trash when we return. Call me crazy but I would like to ENJOY the beaches instead of spending most of my time there cleaning them up! :X

What I can't figure out is why would ANYONE want to trash such beautiful places? I don't remember there being so much trash when we lived in Costa Rica and Panama. Either there are people in those countries who are paid to clean up after the litter bugs, or the citizens don't litter on a large scale--I'm not really sure. 

A friend of mine in Ecuador spends a lot of time cleaning up the beaches with her family as well. They also share similar frustrations about it.

Posted: Sat May 21st, 2016 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
TravelLover

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: we have our own little "mayberry" here, i always describe san carlos that way! is it "los estranjeros" who are littering, i would say no!! most of the litter comes during the weekends and on holidays! most of the it is  alcohol consumption related! the containers, plastic bags, ect; 
so if the laws are enforced on those outsiders who come in on the weekends and holidays, how does that effect us, other than maintaining a clean san carlos?  
there are now G+ signs up all over, asking not to litter!
i don't understand what's wrong with enforcing the existing law, and for the litter that does occur we pick it up!in arizona we have an "adopt a hiway" program! it works fairly well!

Last weekend I was walking home from Ley with my daughter.  We saw a man park his car, open his door and throw 3 beer cans onto the ground! What I found astonishing was the fact there was a trash can nearby! I picked up the beer cans and threw them in the trash!

Call me crazy but we came to San Carlos to enjoy nature and learn about Sonorense culture, NOT to pick up after litter bugs!

Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 06:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
Oh geez, this question brought me out of lurk mode. Sorry if it sounds petty or too selfish but what I most want is the return of the (fish) smokehouse.

Invariably, a question such as this brings up the old days; I see I'm not the only one!

Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 01:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Hook

Mana: 
There is a guy who smokes fish out at Renacimiento. Just ask at the relatively new little tienda out there, on the north side of Beltrones.

Or I have his son, Leonardo's, cell phone number. 622-111-7087.

I'm with Bullshipper on the trash problem and solution. It would take too long for gringos to teach by example. A few high-profile ticketing sessions would be much more effective.

I am associated with What's Up San Carlos and the number one reason, according to emails received by the owners, that first-timers to San Carlos don't return is because they can't believe how trashy the area is, especially the beaches. It's a complete turn-off, for one of San Carlos' most valuable assets; its beaches.

Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
I agree Hook. I have heard it too many times. I use to ride my horses in the desert, and it looked like a western movie. After just a few short years, it looked like a garbage dump. How sad that people feel the need to trash something so beautiful. As they use to say" if you want to invite someone over, clean up first to leave a good impression". First impressions do count. San Carlos is looking a bit trashy. I got tired of cleaning up other peoples trash.

Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
TravelLover

Mana: 
My 4 year old daughter has stepped on BROKEN GLASS many times at the beaches here in San Carlos. It's hard to enjoy myself at the beaches here--I have to comb them over to make sure my children don't step on broken glass and other sharp objects that don't belong there.

Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
Littering isn't a simple matter and therefore doesn't have a simplistic solution. Everyone loves a clean beach but to get there we're actually talking about changing a cultural norm. Think back to what a huge effort it took to end habitual littering on US roadways. And how long did it take? 10-15 years! Changing a cultural norm first requires taking ownership of the problem. What that means is I don't quit picking up trash once I think I've done my fair share. I don't help clean a beach a few times and then get discouraged because change hasn't come about yet. Instead, I commit to cleaning more than my fair share for many years to come.

It's much easier to influence others to take their trash with them when they leave if they see a relatively clean beach a lot of the time, and if trash cans are available on the way out from beaches. Then someone has to empty those cans before wind and wildlife spread the trash around again.

Thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, there were always trash cans at Lalo and Frenchies, where campers and divers used them religiously. But people aren't always to blame for trash - Algodonas, in those pre-development days, was usually almost spotless but that was mainly because the wind carried trash up the dunes and across the road to lodge amongst plants there. At Sanctuario, most debris came in on the tide - fishing nets and chunks of styrofoam, and sometimes plastic rings from soda or beer 6-pack cans as well as empty 2-liter plastic jugs used as floats.

Efforts to bring about cultural change also rely on involving others; in this case, touristas from outside the area. For starters, a friendly ad in UA, PCC, and ASU newspapers enlisting the assistance of students planning to spend holiday weekends and spring break in SC. While on the face of it the ad asks for help keeping their beaches clean ('their' personalizes the message) it serves to remind them not to leave trash behind. This tactic has been successful in Florida where beaches are the primary destination during spring break.

Finally, the next generations must participate on some level for the change to have a chance to become permanent, to be the new norm. Maybe something like a cleanup event where kids who participate can trade a filled grocery store-sized bag for an inexpensive stuffed toy?

I don't think punishment such as being fined will help at first. People will see trash everywhere and that not everybody is fined. I think they'll just get sneakier. To own the problem and take pride in clean beaches, it would be better to get their attention and give them a trash bag and a friendly smile. There will be a time for fines once trash is no longer normal.

Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2016 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
buscuit , wow!! profound and brilliant!!

Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2016 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Biscuit - very astute post - right on the money.
What may help speed things up would be if the Tourist marketeers had some input to government so that efficient and significant effort was made by the local authority to have a full time clean up crew for SC , roads and beaches.  It would be a start ..
There are student clean up days , periodically , but too sporadic to get ahead of the problem.

Current time is 08:32 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > let's try something new Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems