San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Attracting a larger Readership  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2016 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
What can be done to expand the readership and participation on this site?  We tend to stall out.  The forum, when active, is most information, helpful and relevant, but there is a tendency to become inert.  I would suggest this is a result of the lack of forum viewers, which brings us back to how can more viewers and participants be attracted?  I hope this would be in accordance with Bart's will as well, any thoughts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2016 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Boards like this are diminishing in participation , social media such as Facebook is more prevalent. 

No question these forums have value and information but when they are as clunky as this format which makes visuals difficult it does not help.

Finally this is not a gossip venue so lacks the "enquirer" attraction !

And for sure Bart would like more - every visit / click is worth $ !!

:)

Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2016 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
People will view more if there is more informative content. It is up to the regulars to post things of local interest. I sure hope it does not mean gossip and bickering just to increase readership. There is another local venue for that.

Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2016 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Oh NO !!

I did not mean there should be rubbish on here ~  !!

Only that normal discourse does not attract viewers like scandal does - you only have to look at the media - dirt ( and sex ) sells !
:)

Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2016 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JZ

Mana: 
The board has too many sub-topics. Not near enough activity to warrant 8 different subjects and it hinders growth.

Posted: Fri Mar 11th, 2016 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bombero

Mana: 
I would say, as evidenced by the lack of response, to this thread, that most of the posters and readers on this board are happy with the status quo.  It has been observed many people have come to this site, because of unhappiness, ill treatment, or dissatisfaction of other available boards here in SC.  I really value the information that is disseminated on this board, I have never seen a resonable question posed that has not been answered.  The readership is knowegable and well versered on so many subjects, especially on the how's, why's and wherefore's of subjects that are unique to those of us that live here in SC.  I guess I just want more involvement and participation, tell your friends and neighbors about this board.

Posted: Fri Mar 11th, 2016 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I agree with post #5 - too many places to have to look - need a "latest topics" button like the other site has.

Last edited on Fri Mar 11th, 2016 08:35 pm by nice guy

Posted: Fri Mar 11th, 2016 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
I too agree with post #5. I do not want to have to look in several places for the latest. I did like the fact that George would always post the yard sales in the header area. And activities that were current.

Posted: Fri Mar 11th, 2016 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Well said Bombero, I agree with your observations.

On the issue of too many sub forums: The fishing forum has a good following here, that should be seperate. Probably most of the other sub forums (not the Mercado) could be combined.

Posted: Sat Mar 12th, 2016 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Recent items are available on this board.  Its an additional Tab... IF you look on the screen capture below... I show that I selected the Recent Tab... Of course the Default Tab is Forums, which list the 6 Forums under Topical, and then the 8 Forums under Mercado.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the idea of breaking out Fishing, Diving, Sailing, Outdoor, Community Events and the Catch all 'San Carlos'.

When you want to see what's been updated last, regardless of Forum Location.. Go to the Recent Tab.

The other two tabs, Popular (not sure of the criteria) and Selected (I guess if you Watch  a thread and it gets updated, it will show up there?) might be useful to folks too.

Posted: Sat Mar 12th, 2016 03:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
In the Visit Alamos Forums (http://www.visitalamos run by Martin Mansfield), they take a different approach.

Martin's software has a Recent Post and Upcoming Calendar Summaries at the bottom. But you have to scroll down to them... (I think Bart's tabbed solution is better).

Martin's forum suffers from WAY too many Subforums... Bart and even George/Alex are reserved by comparison.

Posted: Sun Mar 13th, 2016 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
TravelLover

Mana: 
I think it would help if this site was mobile friendly. For instance, I found some good information about craft stores in Guaymas but I didn't get a chance to write it down. While in Guaymas yesterday, I remembered the craft stores I wanted to check out and tried to look it up on this forum but I wasn't able to read the information!

Posted: Mon Mar 14th, 2016 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
TravelLover wrote: I think it would help if this site was mobile friendly. For instance, I found some good information about craft stores in Guaymas but I didn't get a chance to write it down. While in Guaymas yesterday, I remembered the craft stores I wanted to check out and tried to look it up on this forum but I wasn't able to read the information!
good idea!
On other fronts
I moderate on 2 boating forums. one is very lax on it rules and lets everyone pretty much do what they want to in the "Bilge" section, then tightens the censorship so that the content is family friendly in all their other sub forums. The have around 175K members after 13 years, and are not concerned with people copying or pasting links from the internet or other forums. The owner, internet brands, has not had any copyright issues.
The second forum has tighter censorship, and has less than 10K members after 8 years. For some reason the mood is tense here, even though most of its member also post on the other forum and it deals with boating and fishing too.
This is Bart's baby, although if I understood it correctly, he has sold it effective soon. I am not saying which way to go, just stating my experience on membership and how I think that the owners rules really have a lot to do with membership numbers. And looking at the other board in SC, saying that the bar has not been set very high by the competition, and that I feel there is an opportunity to gain market share.
Both of these other forum tried rearranging their formats, but I never saw any spurts in interest or members. But when the rules were loosened, readership and advertising definitely were boosted, imo.

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I've intentionally stayed out of this to let all have their say but now I have to respond. You understood wrong-this forum and corresponding master web site have not been sold nor have any of my other web sites. Please ask me privately if you have questions about ownership before promoting rumor mongering.

As far as mobile is concerned, I access the forum every day on my Blackberry.  If having an issue with mobile, PM me with all particulars on your platform and issues and I will take that up with the host provider.

Thanx

Bart

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
bartmanaz wrote: I've intentionally stayed out of this to let all have their say but now I have to respond. You understood wrong-this forum and corresponding master web site have not been sold nor have any of my other web sites. Please ask me privately if you have questions about ownership before promoting rumor mongering.

As far as mobile is concerned, I access the forum every day on my Blackberry.  If having an issue with mobile, PM me with all particulars on your platform and issues and I will take that up with the host provider.

Thanx

Bart

This is your post.http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum1/14693.html
To publicly accuse me of starting rumors is a low blow, especially when we are trying to help your venture. You really make this a fun place to visit.

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
aloha

Mana: 
I agree,bullshipper. I read the same 'notice of sale',and am confused regarding moderators recent post. I did not think you were spreading rumors,but re-iterating a written fact. why so defensive,bart? this forum could do a lot better... but is missing that special 'something'. I can not put my finger on it,pero muy triste...

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I think I pretty clearly spelled out what was going on in my 31 Dec post. To then read that "he has sold it soon" is misconstruing the facts pretty badly.  So for the record, I have not sold the forum or my other web sites and all client sites have successfully migrated to other providers.  While I appreciate the comments made here and am considering some changes to the forum based on those, please don't put words in my mouth.  If you have questions in advance of any changes, ask me offline.
If I over reacted, I'm sorry but that post by BS is not correct.

"We will continue to operate our own sites, including this forum, http://www.sancarlosmexico.com, http://www.riosonora.com,http://www.mexico-rockypoint.com and our company site at http://www.vistatel.com.  We will continue to offer advertising opportunities on our sites to our clients in San Carlos and elsewhere."

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
My only problem here is the pathetic "But-in-skys" that got nothin better to do than find fault.
My advice to them is "Get a Life"!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2016 10:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
aloha

Mana: 
haha jimmy...its all about perspective, and we are all entitled to it. salud!

Posted: Wed Mar 16th, 2016 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I like the board the way it is right now. Those who loved to promote scandals seem to have gotten bored and have gone elsewhere. I was tired of getting demonized by those who laid in the bushes waiting to pull my chain. I was told that those people, with nothing better to do, enjoyed pushing peoples buttons. That era seems to have passed and I am grateful. While I think Bart gets a bit too "military" on occasions, I am grateful to him for running a good board. 

Current time is 11:45 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Attracting a larger Readership Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems