San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Medicare coverage in Sonora  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 20th, 2016 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
asuwins

Mana: 
I'm a licensed health insurance agent in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.  Medigap Policies (Medicare supplements plans G and F) have foreign EMERGENCY benefits up to $50,000 in reimbursements.  The benefits are paid on a reimbursement basis.  The member is responsible for the first $250 and then the insurance company reimburses 80% of the costs up to $50,000 in reimbursement.  This is a lifetime benefit limit so one basically can have up to a $60,000 foreign emergency medical bill and would have possible personal financial exposure of up to $10,250 of the $60,250 bill and everything in excess of the $60,250.  Many Medicare Advantage plans also have varying foreign travel coverage and again, it is always on a reimbursement basis since most foreign medical providers will not recognize or directly bill US insurance companies.  In order to enroll in a Medigap plan you must have a valid mailing address in the US.  For a Medicare Advantage plan, you have to have a valid physical address in which you call home.  If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to contact me at ktims@healthmarkets.com. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Apr 6th, 2016 09:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
tonyh

Mana: 
Our GeoBlue Blue Cross Travel Medical Plan called VOYAGER CHOICE, the maximum time is up to 6 months per policy period, It can be extended once. It can be purchased while inside the USA before entering Mexico.  The VOYAGER CHOICE plan covers medical history (pre-ex) for those who have Medicare or a USA healthplan,  the VOYAGER ESSENTIAL plan does not cover pre-ex.

They have a 70 day plan called Trekker, covering multiple trips to Mexico that don't exceed 70 days each trip, its like under $300
For premiums & rates,  select VOYAGER Choice & Voyager Trekker

Click:
https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/product_overview.cfm?link_id=10080&header=y&footer=y&personalized=y
Here For Secure Link

This is one of the FEW which covers a medical event tied to a diagnosis of the past while the person is  outside the USA. The Voyager CHOICE plan has this benefit.  Hospitalization, Labs, MRI, Rx , Surgery, Repatriation & Air Ambulance (up to $500K) are covered.  Air Ambulance is covered beyond the medical coverage amount. Accidental Death - $50,000  Scuba covered up to $10K. There are a few exclusions,  such as parasailing & racing, etc.
If you have a zip code in one of these states: WA , ME , AK , CO , MD , MN ,  MT, NH , TX, UT, VT
Then you would apply for the alternative  HTH TRAVEL MEDICAL Insurance here:
https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/prdCobrand/insurance_landing.cfm?link_id=10080&personalized=y&header=y

About GeoBlue Travel Medical Insurance…Affiliated with Blue Cross Association
Click for brief 2 min video description:
https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/marketing/video-meetgeoblue.cfm

Needs purchased at the secure link before entering Mexico, using a USA address.  

Last edited on Thu Jul 28th, 2016 05:54 pm by tonyh

Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2016 08:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
tonyh

Mana: 
The DAN Benefits handbook is here, exclusions page starts pg 30
Benefits begin page 4

Attachment: DAN_handbook.pdf (Downloaded 61 times)

Posted: Fri Nov 25th, 2016 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
tonyh

Mana: 
Being aware this is an older post, there are some newer expatriate critical illness insurance plans from IMG available here which are specially suited for those on Medicare A & B only and who spend time outside the USA. These didn't exist last year....

Premiums for IMG GlobeHopper Insurance for Seniors

Benefits & Brochure

Some limits applied to recurrence of medical costs tied to ones medical history...

If questions send me a private message 

Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2016 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
Man, you guys got me going. Of course we want insurance while in Mexico. We're not full timers, but still it would be silly to not have an idea of how the heck we would handle an emergency. I perused many of the suggestions on this site and finally called our provider here in AZ. We have BCBSAZ. It turns out that we are covered for emergencies at 70%, but if we get sick, we're on our own. I may still purchase an evacuation policy for peace of mind. Just wanted to thank all of you for making me think about it all. See you soon.

Posted: Tue Nov 29th, 2016 12:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
This summer, an individual from San Carlos suffered a stroke and was taken by ambulance from San Carlos to a hospital in Tucson. The costs was in the neighborhood of $1200 usd. (I can't remember exactly, but I do not think that it exceeded $1200 usd).

The circumstances were such that they were administered medication in San Carlos immediately that helps to reduce the effects of the stroke. Therefore, the ambulance ride, while long, did not unnecessarily delay treatment for the person. They were attended to in Tucson and able to return to San Carlos a bit more than two weeks later.

Last edited on Tue Nov 29th, 2016 12:36 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Tue Nov 29th, 2016 12:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
Was that the Rescate folks that transported them? All in all, a good outcome, all things considered.

Posted: Tue Nov 29th, 2016 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I don't recall who the ambulance provider was. We were at our home in Green Valley AZ at the time and so met them at the hospital in Tucson. Family stayed at our house during his recovery in the hospital.
Yes, it could have all been worse. It reiterated to me the importance of crossing my Ts and dotting my Is... in the event of an emergency.
Although, I'm young... well Alamos is a good distance from a good hospital.. it's important to be able to get to the CIMA hospital in Hermosillo in the event of an emergency... at the very least.

Posted: Tue Nov 29th, 2016 03:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
Thanks OD. We're wrapping up the wills etc. in case we're abducted by aliens whilst in San Carlos. An ambulance will be the least of our worries then!

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 04:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Tammi

Mana: 
I have insurance through AXXA..which has a wide range of options. I have major medical for myself (44 years old) and my daughter (21 years old) and it costs less than $2,000 for the year for both of us with a high deductible. All my doctor visits are out of pocket, which for me is fine because we don't have any major medical issues. I believe there is some help on medication, but since I'm not on any, I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, if you're going to live here full time I would recommend Mexican Insurance. AXXA is accepted at most hospitals, for sure Cima and San Jose. That way you contact your insurance rep when you go into the hospital instead of taking out your CC for a healthy deposit.

Posted: Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 07:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
tonyh

Mana: 
For Mexican Health Insurance, if someone breaks a bone, the costs will go toward deductible. Later if they need surgery for something different then its another new separate deductible. No elective or choice to be treated north of the border. not sure about air ambulance benefit if they added it.

Last edited on Fri Dec 2nd, 2016 05:14 pm by tonyh

Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2016 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
moisheh

Mana: 
Be aware that CIMA and most Mexican Hospitals do not accept Foreign insurance. Cash or credit card. Make sure your CC has a high limit. Cardiac difficulties are not cheap. BTW: CIMA has one of the best Cath labs in all of Latin America! After reading about Mexico Mel's problems with San Jose I would not trust them. I once went to their Neurology Lab. Better off at the local Vet!

Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2016 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
Is San Jose the Guaymas hospital?

Posted: Sat Dec 10th, 2016 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
moisheh

Mana: 
The San Jose I mentioned is in HMO.

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 05:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Fairwind

Mana: 
If the problem is deemed to be an EMERGENCY, Medicare or Medicare Advantage will reimburse you for your costs of being treated in Mexico. If you ever need serious medical attention, the Cima Hospital in HMO (a private hospital) is the place to go...

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
bachrachj

Mana: 
I called my provider, AZBCBS before coming down (I'm not eligible for Medicare yet) and was told that they cover %70 of emergencies also. Definitely worth a call to your provider if not at the Medicare stage of life yet. Thanks for the CIMA advice.

Posted: Mon Dec 12th, 2016 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
tonyh

Mana: 
See if there is the restriction of 60 days from the moment leaving the USA, and see if there is a $50K limit on claims reimbursement..

Posted: Tue Dec 13th, 2016 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Does Medicare AB have a medigap plan to ad through them or is this the supplement plans that one buys seperately like through AARP. United Heathcare, etc. Someone said the supplement plans will cover emergencys even if the Medicare does not.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
tonyh

Mana: 
Here is the fact about Medicare outside the USA:https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-outside-us.html  
Medicare.GOV
 This is direct from Medicare.gov
There is a decent 70 day plan covering multiple trips, called Blue Cross GeoBlue Trekker here..

BCBS GeoBlue Trekker

They also have insurance for Teachers in foreign schools, and Boat Crews 
Cima and some local hospitals in-network

Current time is 09:42 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Medicare coverage in Sonora Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems