San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Off the Edge closing?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
I saw a notice of this on "Whats up SC". Anyone know anything else? I thought they always seemed pretty busy. Any idea of what is going in its place?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
Someone has agreed to lease the place from the existing owner, Roger. It is closed until the new "owner" is ready to open; probably around March 1st.

The menu will be revamped and San Carlos will have it's first, TRUE craft beer outlet, serving craft beers brewed in town. I have tasted all of them and they are incredible. They will be on-tap; not from bottles. And, no, they won't be 15 pesos. These beers are made from quality ingredients (specialty hops and grains) that have to be brought down from the States. And they are made in relatively small batches. It will be hard to drink even Chope, after you have tasted these. His IPA will not be bitter hopsy bombs.

A new lineup of pub-type food will also be offered.

Right now the plans are to keep that excellent duo who plays on Tuesday nights and the owner hopes to keep The Dudes going on Friday night. Other acts may be added in the future. I believe the owner is going to ditch the unlit pool table in the corner (that hardly anyone used) and go back to a dedicated place for bands.

That's enough for now. Stay tuned. I'm involved in the marketing of the place.

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
Forgot to mention that the current owner, Roger, will continue to operate the ATV rentals, tours business out of the same location.

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Sounds great, kind of a reorganization. Best of luck to all involved.

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
aloha

Mana: 
and the food selection?

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
aloha wrote: and the food selection?
Anything you'd like to recommend?
Too early to comment on the specifics of the new food (and it is a work in progress), but we are open to suggestions.

Posted: Thu Jan 28th, 2016 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
aloha

Mana: 
well,it apperared they were getting the bar-b-q thing down.the pulled pork was great. comfort food...

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
happy camper

Mana: 
Hook , you said the following ..........
These beers are made from quality ingredients (specialty hops and grains) that have to be brought down from the States.

You mean they are importing from the states ??? Most people i hope know very well that almost all grains and hope is GMO which is produced in the states . You call that quality ingredients ??? i call it something else YIKES .....

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 02:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
monty

Mana: 
Are they going to brew the beer on site? 

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Sorry - this is becoming commercialized marketing BS - the last time we ate there the food was crap and the service none existence. So, Hook, tell us a fairy tale about how good it's going to be ...

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 07:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Loreto has local brews now. Was wondering when SC would start.

Agree that the food and especially the service isn't very good now.

Let's see what happens next.  I'll give it another shot.

Last edited on Fri Jan 29th, 2016 07:49 am by JZ

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 12:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
I agree the old food wasn't great. Just a thought, maybe burgers and chicken on a charcoal grill? Something to make it a little different from the other places. Also, I've noticed that the Mexicans aren't really used to cooking American style food. Most of the time fries are under cooked and soggy, and pizza's are horribly under cooked as well. Hire a good short order cook and train everyone for consistency.

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Hook

Mana: 
aloha wrote: well,it apperared they were getting the bar-b-q thing down.the pulled pork was great. comfort food...
The plan is to continue with serving BBQ items. The owner's smoker will be staying on the premises for the time being. The type of meat being BBQed is still open.

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Hook

Mana: 
monty wrote: Are they going to brew the beer on site? 
It is my understanding that they are precluded from brewing it on-site, due to the nature of the license. So, it will be brewed off-site and transported to the site in kegs.

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
happy camper wrote: Hook , you said the following ..........
These beers are made from quality ingredients (specialty hops and grains) that have to be brought down from the States.

You mean they are importing from the states ??? Most people i hope know very well that almost all grains and hope is GMO which is produced in the states . You call that quality ingredients ??? i call it something else YIKES .....

I can't say whether his ingredients are GMO. I'll ask him. 

I see a very short list of beers that are non-GMO compliant. So, it is possible, I guess. Whether it is financially practical for such small lots, in a town where people want inexpensive beer, might be another matter. 

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
monty

Mana: 
The reason I asked about the brewing of the beer is, if it is to be brewed in the states and shipped here the cost will be very expensive with the exchange rate and import costs.

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
captgriff

Mana: 
Try to find ANY beer ingredients, anywhere, that are not GMO, including here in Mexico. The whole anti-GMO thing is a crock.

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
nice guy wrote: Sorry - this is becoming commercialized marketing BS - the last time we ate there the food was crap and the service none existence. So, Hook, tell us a fairy tale about how good it's going to be ...

Well, it IS a commercial enterprise and that usually involves marketing. So I guess I am "guilty" on those counts. Just trying to provide some advance information to those who asked. I think future information will come through more official channels.

As for the "BS" about the service and the food, that was then, with a different management team. We plan on being different. Management will be "hands-on" with this new venture.

Give us a chance to open, at least, before you decide this is a fairy tale. 

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Good luck , if no one tries anything no progress ever made !
One wonders if it is possible to change the name to identify better the new concept - oh that's a marketing thing - one for you Hook !!   
Be interesting to see what comes - maybe better to have one really good pint , than half a dozen cheap n nasty ones that pack the pounds on !!
:)

Posted: Fri Jan 29th, 2016 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
captgriff

Mana: 
I totally agree with posts #18 and #19. Give them a chance (or several chances) Will some of the servers from The Edge be offered jobs? A couple of them are excellent. A couple, not so much!

Current time is 01:33 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Off the Edge closing? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems