San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
AT&T Mexico Plan  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
AlS

Mana: 
Palmadita: For your situation, TelCel might be a good choice. One downside is for people who call you from Canada. It might not be a free service for them.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
We got Cricket (a subsidiary of AT&T) at the start of the year because of the unlimited Canada, USA and Mexico use.

Great in the beginning. However, It's been a huge disappointment here in Alamos recently. Tons of dropped calls. Email rarely updates. If you rely on your phone for work like I do, it's tough at the moment.

I have a TelCel pay as you go plan too on a separate phone, but I can't keep the data from sucking all of my saldo.... and I've poured over every setting of Windows10Mobile to prevent it. Thinking it's heavy Win10Mobile / TelCel Telemetry data mining that is just killing it. Dissapointing. Two phones, Two plans, and can't seem to get reliable coverage.

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
JZ

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: plans are scams!  no matter what company or country your in!
This is a potato comment.  There is a time and place for everything.  I have 6 lines (5 smartphones) with unlimited data and free roaming all over North America.

I can't go Telcel, because I need to be reached on my US number when traveling anywhere in the world.

When traveling outside NA I'll buy a mobile hotspot and tether to it using Wi-Fi.

Last edited on Tue Sep 13th, 2016 02:51 am by JZ

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
palmadita

Mana: 
ian, I am really looking towards a telcel 2 year plan with a phone included for 199 pesos per month. Our needs are simple, I think this is best for us. We will upgrade the phone that they offer. Thanks every one for the help and advice! It helped tremendously!

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i am just a country boy,  someone explain to me what a potato comment is?
JZ,  if you are such a world traveler and have 5 cells and 6 lines,  spending all that money on cell phones, why don't you have a satellite phone!!!!!!!!
read post #19 seems to work well in europe!!

it makes more sense that your sarcastic comments!

Last edited on Tue Sep 13th, 2016 03:27 am by frankiej

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 04:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Potato means exactly what you think it means.

Six phones for six ppl my man. Wife, 3 kids, and wife's mom.  A "plan" is the cheapest solution.

When I did the trip to La Paz in July I took a satellite phone with me. Rented it for two weeks.

Here's the Whitsunday Islands from April, btw.

Last edited on Tue Sep 13th, 2016 04:27 am by JZ

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 04:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
potato; is a starchy,  tuberous crop from perennial nightshade, "solanum tuberous l."
maybe your vernacular is different than mine!

Posted: Tue Sep 13th, 2016 04:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
JZ, that doesn't sound like a plan, sounds more like a codependency!

Posted: Wed Sep 14th, 2016 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Sorry Pat , in Europe so slow seeing your note.
Cool if it works for you and serves your needs - perfect.
Best
Ian

Posted: Thu Sep 15th, 2016 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Biscuit

Mana: 
Frankiej, satellite phones are very expensive, as are the few calling plans that are offered. That puts them out of reach for everyday use, nevermind giving them to kids, lol, for a couple grand per month for each kid, considering their reliance on calling and texting. The value of satellite communications is in being able to reliably make and receive calls almost anywhere in the world -- desert, rain forest, etc. They're also popular with survivalists.

I rented one for my grandson for the year he was deployed to Iraq so he could call family. You really can't compare it to landline and cellular phone service.

JZ, that's a gorgeous photo!

Posted: Thu Sep 15th, 2016 02:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
biscuit, my response was to post #23,  he states he had 5 phones and 6 lines!  after i suggested a satellite phone he clarified it was for his wife, children, and mother in law!
that makes a big difference! 
there is a new satellite phone product on the market, that allows for only text messages, it runs about $3/350. i don't know how much for the service hook up!
i liked the photo also!

Posted: Thu Sep 15th, 2016 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I have AT&T and I love it.  Have 3 phones, 15gb of data, unlimited talk, LD, text and email.  Recently converted from the old Mexico plan to the newer 15GB plan and got Mexico/Canada service included.  Just finished a long weekend in San Carlos with lots of local calls, texts etc and the additional charge was zero.  
May not work for someone full time SOB but works great for us.

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Bart: Everything you said also applies to the TelCel Sin Frontera plan. As you implied, it all depends whether you are living in the USA or in Mexico. I live full time in Mexico and TelCel is much better for me. But, I did spend a lot of time in the USA at one point and ATT worked great then.

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
I have Telcel "sin fronteras" plus their 4G stick. I am currently at Red Fish Lake near the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho with no internet but with 4G. Works beautifully for only P.$300 more per month!

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 04:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Richard Baca wrote: I have Telcel "sin fronteras" plus their 4G stick. I am currently at Red Fish Lake near the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho with no internet but with 4G. Works beautifully for only P.$300 more per month!
I thought Telcel stopped selling the 4G usb modem?

Last edited on Fri Sep 16th, 2016 04:50 am by JZ

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
many people have offered sound solutions and their experiences!  
it is up to the individuals personal needs to have a correct answer for their particular situation!  what is good for the goose may not be good for the gander!
all the variables have been discussed,  the main factors being where you are or reside primarily,  NOB or here in sonora!  
the focus should have maintained the valid issues of travelers from canada, USA, and mexico! 
 mixing world travel phone issues is another particular subject matter!

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
palmadita

Mana: 
I agree with you, FRankie. I am a Canadian. Canadian's experiences and needs with cell phone carriers are much, much different than Americans. We now live full time in Mexico. In the end, the AT&T Mexico plan purchased in Mexico seemed more attractive than the telcel plan, but I chose the telcel plan because I heard a lot of negative comments about AT&T Mexico plan. The telcel plan that I finally purchased was for 499 pesos/month. It included a Lanix smart phone. It has unlimited minutes and texting all over Mex, USA, and Can. It has 3 GB data and 3 GB of Facebook and Whatsapp. They changed the settings to English for me. I spoke to a fluent English speaking agent. He says I can use it all over Canada, too. There is not much cell competition in Canada. Canada is one of the most expensive countries in the world for telecommunications. When we are there, we pay a dollar a minute prepaid, so this plan is great for us. Just hope it comes through for us. Fingers crossed. Frankie is right. When one is looking for advice, it is hard to sift out what is apples and what is oranges. Thanks everyone for taking the time to post and give me more info to base my decision on. Much appreciated! 👍🏼

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
thank you palamita!!  i bought my first smart phone 2 years ago!  OK keep laughing,  i can still can read smoke signals!!
i did my home work, Iphone or android!  i was looking for something that would take the beating i would probably be giving it!  i went to telcel here "WOW" sticker shock!!!! the phone which was the rage was about $1,000.usd !!  i left thinking and using my hands,  on the right hand a 70" flat screen TV,  on the left hand the latest rage in smart phones!
i couldn't justify to my smoke signal / flip phone mind that i needed to move into the 21st century!
while shopping on amazon i realized they sold cell phones! but better they sell unlocked cell phones!  i did more home work for my particular needs and found the samsung X- cover was the phone for me! at $300. shipped to my tucson address and being able to use my existing "chip" , i was in business!! 
later mr. slim decided to to conform to NOB advancements and allowed unlimited roaming!
one day crossing the border and getting ready to turn on my NOB verizon phone,  my mexican phone lets me know i can use the free roaming plan.  i decided what the heck press the keys and see what happens!
remember i have "pay as you go",  next thing i know i am getting calls and whats app messages WOW!!!
here is what happened to the smoke signal / flip phone guy!  i tried to make calls in the arizona they wouldn't go through, why?? Da , i had my NOB phone #s programmed to dial out of mexico.  turned to the key pad a dialed my mom and said HI!!!
i am on my cell phone a lot i buy 500 pesos about every 2 months,  thanks a lot for me using whats app!

Last edited on Fri Sep 16th, 2016 08:02 pm by frankiej

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
I have a basic Tecel prepaid phone that used to work in Tucson, now it doesn't. The guy at the local T mobile said the sim card is probably bad. Any comments? Thanks.

Posted: Fri Sep 16th, 2016 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
JZ

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: thank you palamita!!  i bought my first smart phone 2 years ago!  OK keep laughing,  i can still can read smoke signals!!
i did my home work, Iphone or adroid!  i was looking for something that would take the beating i would probably be giving it!  i went to telcel here "WOW" sticker shock!!!! the phone which was the rage was about $1,000.usd !!  i left thinking and using my hands,  on the right hand a 70" flat screen TV,  on the left hand the latest rage in smart phones!
i couldn't justify to my smoke signal / flip phone mind that i needed to move into the 21st century!
while shopping on amazon i realized they sold cell phones! but better they sell unlocked cell phones!  i did more home work for my particular needs and found the samsung X- cover was the phone for me! at $300. shipped to my tucson address and being able to use my existing "chip" , i was in business!! 
later mr. slim decided to to conform to NOB advancements and allowed unlimited roaming!
one day crossing the border and getting ready to turn on my NOB verizon phone,  my mexican phone lets me know i can use the free roaming plan.  i decided what the heck press the keys and see what happens!
remember i have "pay as you go",  next thing i know i am getting calls and whats app messages WOW!!!
here is what happened to the smoke signal / flip phone guy!  i tried to make calls in the arizona they wouldn't go through, why?? Da , i had my NOB phone #s programmed to dial out of mexico.  turned to the key pad a dialed my mom and said HI!!!
i am on my cell phone a lot i buy 500 pesos about every 2 months,  thanks a lot for me using whats app!

Too long, didn't read, but if you didn't buy a Samsung Note you made the wrong choice.

Current time is 10:51 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > AT&T Mexico Plan Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems