San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
AT&T Mexico Plan  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2016 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I just got off the phone with at&t. They added to my account a Mexico plan at no additional cost.
the plan is for unlimited calling and 1 gig of internet @ no cost to me.
I will be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2016 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
aloha

Mana: 
hahahaha! well,in fine fine print,all at&t plans state that you are only 'allowed' to use any froeign plan for 6 mths out of the yr. the reps do not tell you becuz most have no knowledge of the foreign plan particulars. rarely do they check,but altho monitored randomly,you are responsible for the huge bill you will receive if you are the one thats busted. i know 2 people it happened to. so read the fine print, even tho it takes forever :(

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2016 11:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
long time resident

Mana: 
It is true! I added it, went to mexico, worked great. Make sure you turn off your cellular data in settings, or anything you left open will eat up the data.

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 12:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
aligato

Mana: 
10 gigs data with T-Mobile...never gone over....50 bucks a month

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
aloha

Mana: 
...and T-Mobile/Metro Pcs does not monitor your time, calling from mexico ;)

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
been with att 20 yrs, the 1st to offer national coverage, the 1st to offer seamless US-Mexico coverage. 

Newbies get what you want!!!! 

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
aloha

Mana: 
I had at&t for 20 yrs. but in mx,their service was limited.that includes Nuevo leon,dif,gdrl.most anyplace. as of nov 2015,no reception from sc to nogales az. had to have my cheap tel cel pay as you go for emergencies. and that didn't have good reception,either. so its a crap shoot, unless something drastic has changed w/ at&t in the last 8 wks. t mobile-metro pcs works with telcel towers. I have 100% reception on the hiway even thru imuris,and in three states I visited over the holidays. that's the 'security' i need.

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I'd like to share something that happened with me and the AT&T Mexico Data plan. I purchased it when it was a $35 adder ($5 to call mexico from the US, $30 to use phone when in Mexico).. That's on top of the high plan price I already pay.

First Issue:
Got plans.. went to Alamos in October. Had clients call me from a US land line. Worked through a very technical problem that took over an hour. No problem.. I have unlimited calling when n Mexico... NOT.. See, I RECIEVED the call from a US LANDLINE and apparently that's no part of unlimited calling. Had I known that, I would have simply hung up and called my clients back to their cell phone numbers. Instead, that call cost me $87usd... remember, I had paid $35usd for the Mex bundle. $122... on top of my already high plan rate. Happened a few times in that 10 day trip to Alamos.. that was a month with a $300+ phone bill because I didn't understand what Unlimited meant in Mexico.

Second Issue:
About one month back..December.. I was crossing into Nogales Sonora. I had no Mexican plans as I terminated due to the issue described above. I set my Data to OFF when Roaming, but left the phone turned on incase I received any calls. Later, I'm standing in line to return to the US, when my phone announces it is restarting because it applied an Update... AT&T downloaded a large software update while I was roaming in Mexico..even though I had data turned OFF when roaming. Phone turned back on around RIO Rico after updates where installed. I immediately called AT&T to see what occurred... no sweat... that update only cost me $47usd... Yes, I was responsible for the charge.

Needless to say, we left AT&T that week, after more than 10 years with them... A shame because AT&T service works so great in Arizona and Sonora... but the surprise hidden charges all of the time... broke the camel's back.

Anyway, I relate these stories, all occurring between Oct and Dec of 2015, just so that you all check fine print..

I now have Cricket.. but I will start another thread for that service.... You'll be surprised how good it is.

Last edited on Wed Jan 20th, 2016 02:19 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Wed Jan 20th, 2016 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Thank you all, very informative posts that will help me use my new plan effectively.

Posted: Fri Jan 22nd, 2016 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
We signed up for the new plan.  1G per line, free calls, texts.  All 5 of us used our phones a ton the last two months of 2015.

The only issue is I have had super fast 4G service the last couple years w/att in MX, but it is Edge (2.5G) now a lot.  At@t has bought Mexican carriers Nextel Mexico and Lusacell.  They are using this instead of roaming to LTE w/Telcel.  So, for the time being it seems the coverage isn't as good as it was.

Posted: Sun Sep 11th, 2016 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
palmadita

Mana: 
I wonder if someone has updated experience with AT&T Mexico?

Posted: Sun Sep 11th, 2016 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
JZ

Mana: 
palmadita wrote: I wonder if someone has updated experience with AT&T Mexico?

AT&T got better in Mexico in May.  All of North America actually.  If you have a plan that is over 15G per month you get free data roaming in Mexico and Canada.  It's not limited to 1G anymore.

They are also rolling out more LTE in Mexico.

http://about.att.com/story/new_roaming_benefits_to_mexico_and_canada.html

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I got rid of ATT and use TelCel Sin Frontera (Amigo prepay). It worked great all summer in the USA while traveling for 2 months. In places, there was no coverage. TelCel uses the T-Mobil network. And, data was sometimes slow. As a backup, I've always had an ATT hotspot which I use in tight situations. I can then use Skype to make phone calls if the T-Mobil net is unavailable. So, in addition to paying about $300 pesos/month for my TelCel plan, I pay $50 per month to ATT for data for the one or two months I am in the USA. 

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 02:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i suppose it depends if you are here more "SC" or there more "NOB"
ballenmar is correct the way to go is prepaid!

i am here in SC more, i had a verizon line for decades.  now that telecel is more liberal with their roaming i haven't charged my NOB verizon phone and am quite pleased[size=!][size=
][size=i have no surprise bills at the end of the month!!][size=
][size=in addition i use "whatsapp" i send messages and walkie talkie voice messages!
][size=
][size=500 peso prepaid gives me twice the purchased minute amount and for me lasts months!!!]

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 04:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
JZ

Mana: 
ballenamar wrote: I got rid of ATT and use TelCel Sin Frontera (Amigo prepay). It worked great all summer in the USA while traveling for 2 months. In places, there was no coverage. TelCel uses the T-Mobil network. And, data was sometimes slow. As a backup, I've always had an ATT hotspot which I use in tight situations. I can then use Skype to make phone calls if the T-Mobil net is unavailable. So, in addition to paying about $300 pesos/month for my TelCel plan, I pay $50 per month to ATT for data for the one or two months I am in the USA.
You live in SC.  That's a different scenario.

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 11:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
plans are scams!  no matter what company or country your in!!  as i stated i used verizon for years paying about $120. usd a month.  verizon never reach out to me to offer options other than to increase my plan!  about 4/5 years ago keeping the same phone number i went to prepaid.  i would buy a $100. usd and would be charged about $2/3 a day unlimited use,  only when used!! that worked perfect for me. the most i was going up was 2/3 days a month maybe a week at times!  my $100. usd prepaid would last over a year!!!! i would buy my prepaid in january,  so my prepaid would last in the calendar year.

Last edited on Mon Sep 12th, 2016 02:29 pm by frankiej

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
AlS

Mana: 
ATT *used* to be the best for the combination of USA and Mexico. Best coverage. Seemless integration with TelCel. But, it wasn't cheap.

Then ATT dropped the TelCel part and bought Nextel of Mexico, definitely a 3rd tier player in Mexico. People who were used to the TelCel agreement for Mexico complained about the coverage and data speed degradation. ATT is upgrading it's Mexican subsidiary, but it is still no match for TelCel. Ask around for current ATT Mexico experiences for coverage.

T-Mobile signed the agreement with TelCel when they started the USA/Canada/Mexico no borders plan. Then TelCel started a similar plan of no borders. T-Mobile has been investing heavily in their domestic network over the past couple of years. However, if you are in a very rural part of the USA, you are likely still stuck with the big 2 carriers.

T-Mobile can be an excellent choice for San Carlos snowbirds. However, they have some restrictions about how much time you can be outside their domestic network. If you visit for a couple months, your are fine. If you spend more time in Mexico than the USA - you might get caught.

If you spend more time in Mexico than the USA, TelCel has some attractive plans.

This industry is experiencing rapid changes. People's experiences and coverage of just 2 years ago need to be discounted.

Google has become a player with Project Fi. They change the entire model with WiFi first. Apple is strongly rumored to be working on similar. Carrier agnostic.

Last edited on Mon Sep 12th, 2016 03:58 pm by AlS

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
palmadita

Mana: 
We live here full time and we are Canadians and I don't understand the operation of American carriers. We had a very expensive pay as you go when we are in Edmonton, but it isn old fashioned kind, just a phone, not a smart phone and no data, so we are newbies to this market. The AT&T Mexico plan sounds pretty attractive. Do you mean you need to spend more time out of Mexico than in Mexico with AT&T Mex?

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Pat,  You would likely benefit from the pay as you go Telcel.
If you have your own phone which is GSM or AT&T compatible you can get a Telcel sim card.  You can add Pesos as you wish , I normally add every couple of months. If you want Data you buy it by the month its very cheap - I use 399 pesos a month for data ( when I am not at the house ) Adding $ is easy either locally , in Guaymas or remotely.  I have used my own iPhone all over Europe with my Telcel sim last 2 months. Added pesos as well !
I would definately caution about buying a "plan"  there are options.....   I am back next week and would be happy to face to face to explain.
Best
Ian
Putting pictures on the board - well not so good at that !!

Posted: Mon Sep 12th, 2016 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
ian , thank you for verifying what you and i already know!

Current time is 08:15 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > AT&T Mexico Plan Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems